Get ready to be hit by seasonal flu, dengue now, say doctors

snoop1130

Get ready to be hit by seasonal flu, dengue now, say doctors

By The Nation

800_123b34e3fda70f2.jpg

Apart from the continued threat of Covid-19, Thais are now being urged to prepare for seasonal influenza and dengue now that the rainy season is approaching.

The National Health Security Office has announced that it will provide free vaccine for people who are covered by the universal healthcare system, members of the Social Security Fund and those under the civil servants’ healthcare scheme, Dr Sakchai Kanjanawatana, secretary-general of the NHSO, said on Tuesday (April 21). 

Each group is advised to contact their service hospitals, though the free shots will only be provided to seven high-risk groups, such as those with chronic disease, children aged 6 months to 2 years and senior citizens aged 65 and up. 

The eligible should register for the free vaccines immediately so they can boost their immune system before the rainy season arrives next month, he said, warning that the seasonal influenza can also be fatal.

Currently, there is a low rate of seasonal influenza infections due to the dry season combined with people wearing masks, he said. 

Another disease that will arrive with the rainy season next month is dengue, warned Dr Anupong Sujariyakul, a senior expert in preventive medicine at the Department of Disease Control. To avoid this, people should get rid of all open water containers that can be breeding grounds for mosquitoes, he said. 

He also said that people with Covid-19 can also be infected with dengue, though the chances are slim. 

The doctor warned that though the number of new confirmed Covid-19 cases is dropping, new infections may increases as more Thais return home from overseas. 

People should continue staying home and avoid going to public places, he said in response to a question about a second wave of Covid-19 infections, since more cars were seen on Bangkok streets after the lowest number of confirmed cases were reported in a month – 27 on April 20 and 19 on April 21. 

He also advised people to continue practising social distancing and wear masks.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386497

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-21

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Corona, dengue, flu, PM2.5, drought, usurpers, unemployment, economic crash, it just keeps getting better. What's not to like?

Well the sun is shining and the birds are singing ...... So yes .... Whats not to like  ???? ....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ukrules said:

There's not going to be a seasonal flu while social distancing and mask wearing continue.

I think there's a potential irony here, COVID could kill off the flu and many other viruses that do the rounds.

Likely C19 giving the flu a hospital pass as mentioned previously and we see the worst flu season on record.It's just the flu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will get the flu shot next week. My doctor already contacted to me to say do it. For the dengue, good luck as that is luck of the draw and area it manifests in from the mosquitos. Don't forget malaria as well. CM I have knowna few to get that one. 

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Corona, dengue, flu, PM2.5, drought, usurpers, unemployment, economic crash, it just keeps getting better. What's not to like?

Well at least the traffic fatalities should be dropping.... although I've not seen any figures (has anyone else?)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Why are you less likely to get Dengue if you have C19 ??

He didn't say "less likely." A small minority of the population contracts either disease. Chances of contracting both simultaneously are small X small. 

12 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:
13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He also said that people with Covid-19 can also be infected with dengue, though the chances are slim.

Why are you less likely to get Dengue if you have C19 ??

I too am awaiting that pearl to be extruded from the mouth of Dr Anupong Sujariyakul!

43 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

He didn't say "less likely." A small minority of the population contracts either disease. Chances of contracting both simultaneously are small X small. 

I read it wrong then....

So more chance of winning the lottery than getting C19 at the same time as Dengue... 

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

There's not going to be a seasonal flu while social distancing and mask wearing continue.

I think there's a potential irony here, COVID could kill off the flu and many other viruses that do the rounds.

What I read in a  US news site was that people not getting the flu as much this year will make it harder to predict the flu strain for next year and therefore make next year's flu vaccine less effective....

So don't worry, if you survive this year's covid, maybe next year's flu will get ya.