Phuket Immigration confirms automatic visa extension applies to all visa types

snoop1130

Phuket Immigration confirms automatic visa extension applies to all visa types

By The Phuket News

1587546794_1-org.jpg

The notice posted by the PR Department today (Apr 22). Image: PR Department / Facebook

PHUKET: The automatic visa extension granted by the Immigration Bureau does apply to all visa types, not just short-term tourist visas, Phuket Immigration Deputy Chief Col Nareuwat Putthawiro confirmed to The Phuket News today (Apr 22).

The Cabinet approved the “second automatic visa extension” to all types until July 31 yesterday.

While the second extension has yet to be publicly posted on the main Immigration Bureau website, the PR Department of Thailand today posted the news in an announcement that read:

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-immigration-confirms-automatic-visa-extension-applies-to-all-visa-types-75795.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-04-22

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Happy days. I have often been quite critical of immigration here, but this is an excellent move which will be welcomed by many. My annual retirement extension is due early next month and I was not looking forward to it.

Only visas . non o isn't covered is my understanding

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, darksidedog said:
59 minutes ago, madmen said:

Only visas . non o isn't covered is my understanding

Maybe you should read the full story where the following is stated: However, he did confirm the automatic visa extension does apply to all visa types.

Asked specifically whether the extension apply to one-year visas, he said, “Yes, the extension applies to all visa types.”

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-immigration-confirms-automatic-visa-extension-applies-to-all-visa-types-75795.php

While I agree that's what he said DSD, I think the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Let's wait and see what happens.

I see other posters have said that some of these new regulations are not being applied equally all over the country.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

While I agree that's what he said DSD, I think the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Let's wait and see what happens.

I see other posters have said that some of these new regulations are not being applied equally all over the country.

Maybe, but this is Phuket immigration and the Phuket forum. So it looks like it will apply to Phuket.

• Like 2

post 8, hello, 
Logically, it seems to me that you are right:
but as it is rather vague and that laws and decrees are made to be incomprehensible, even for those who promulgate them, in ALL countries, wait for a new ordinance which will repeal the others.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Can't wait to see the Chaos on and after July 31st !

Why- are you coming down for a visit?

25 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Maybe, but this is Phuket immigration and the Phuket forum. So it looks like it will apply to Phuket.

How dare you - it's MY job to poke the sticks at irrelevant posts you Bounder!! ????

Thou shalt incur the wrath of people in Nakon Nowhere. ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Happy days. I have often been quite critical of immigration here, but this is an excellent move which will be welcomed by many. My annual retirement extension is due early next month and I was not looking forward to it.

You might want to double-check. My understanding is that the amnesty applies to all VISA extensions, but not to annual extensions of stay.  For the latter there is no requirement to leave the country, whereas this is not the case for tourists or people on multi-entry visas.  If it applied to everyone they might as well just close Immigration as there would be nothing for them to do!

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Because of the Mexican Stand off between Immigration and the major Embassies I have had to get a new O-A Non Immigration Visa from the UK I now have to leave the country after 90 days and this has to be about 50 days from today. These statements about extensions of visa don't seem to cover this, if anybody has seen specific information about this perhaps they could put it on this thread. If not I will be off to Saraburi Immigration in about 20 days to get their advice.

Extension of stay isn’t a visa.

Good time to go and renew an extension of stay. It is very quiet at the Phuket town employment office, likewise immigration office. 

Quite likely you’ll be their only client, in / out in 15-20 mins, unprecedented.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Snackbar said:

Good time to go and renew an extension of stay. It is very quiet at the Phuket town employment office, likewise immigration office. 

Quite likely you’ll be their only client, in / out in 15-20 mins, unprecedented.

Wish I could go there.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Snackbar said:

Sounds great! Why don't we catch up to discuss your experience over a few beers with friends and family at a beach restaurant in Nai Han?

You could explain your techniques of avoiding roadblocks.

• Haha 1

"Col Nareuwat said that he was aware of the Cabinet’s approval granted yesterday, but noted that technically his office still has to receive the official order before they can enforce it.

However, he did confirm the automatic visa extension does apply to all visa types.

Asked specifically whether the extension apply to one-year visas, he said, “Yes, the extension applies to all visa types.”

Wow, who to believe, the pedantic Nakkon Nowhere Naysayers or the Phuket Immigration Deputy Chief ?

Even if the Deputy Chief misinterpreted the intent, the rule of face saving will prevail.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

It doesn’t mention annual retirement ( extension of stay ) it just says 90 day reporting so I would speak with your local IO I cannot see those of us who have to renew our retirement  as you call it being exempt mine is due early June so I hope that there will be better clarification on extension of stay holders .

I am on the annual Extension of Stay Based on an original “O-A Visa”, I am good until July but ... I need to change from an “O-A Visa” to an “Visa” due to inability to meet the insurance requirements. Let me know if any of you hear that Royal Thai Immigration will allow this change in-country as a result of travel and closed border difficulties exiting Thailand and immediately re-entering. Hey, I can hope ...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

I am on the annual Extension of Stay Based on an original “O-A Visa”, I am good until July but ... I need to change from an “O-A Visa” to an “Visa” due to inability to meet the insurance requirements. Let me know if any of you hear that Royal Thai Immigration will allow this change in-country as a result of travel and closed border difficulties exiting Thailand and immediately re-entering. Hey, I can hope ...

Seems unlikely. Probably you'll have to get an extension now for one or a few months, and after that leave, apply and return.

But July should be ok again I hope.

On the face of it seems like good news. I would worry though if you have say banking business to do between when your extension expires and 31st July the banks might have an issue with some transactions. I just know how document driven the banks are. 
mid it was me, I’d get it renewed per the due date.

47 minutes ago, hansgruber said:

Just go to the checkpoint and say you need to do some banking in town. Home branch lie. Worked for me and village headman gave me a day pass for all checkpoints. Take your bank book and passport as props. 

They can't deny you access to money. 

Went into immigration today and put my visa into a new passport. I was done in 15 mins. 

Did you have any note for the immigration visit?

5 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

No, you can't use the border closure as a excuse to change visa.

7 hours ago, hansgruber said:

Just go to the checkpoint and say you need to do some banking in town. Home branch lie. Worked for me and village headman gave me a day pass for all checkpoints. Take your bank book and passport as props. 

They can't deny you access to money. 

Went into immigration today and put my visa into a new passport. I was done in 15 mins. 

My village headman lives the other side of the barricades.

However, I have been thinking of trying to talk the way past the blocks and might try next week. I also have a new passport that needs transferring. Renewing the extension might be more advantageous for me if done at a later date, now that it appears it is automatically extended.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, merijn said:

No, you can't use the border closure as a excuse to change visa.

Not as an “excuse” to change the Visa type from “O-A” to “O”. No excuse needed to change Visa. With border closings, travel restrictions rather a rational for allowing the change in-country rather than requiring leaving the country and re-entering.

• Like 1