Trump summons CDC director to clarify remarks on second virus wave

webfact

Trump summons CDC director to clarify remarks on second virus wave

2020-04-22T223811Z_1_LYNXNPEG3L2AH_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-USA.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump reacts to a reporter's question as Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director Robert Redfield answers questions at the daily coronavirus task force briefing at the White House in Washington, U.S., April 22, 2020. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was called on by President Donald Trump on Wednesday to walk back his remark that the second wave of coronavirus in the fall could be worse than the current situation.

CDC Director Robert Redfield made the widely circulated comment in an interview Tuesday with the Washington Post and Trump tweeted Wednesday morning that the health expert was misquoted. Redfield, however, said he was quoted accurately.

"I think it's really important to emphasize what I didn't say: I didn't say that this was going to be worse," Redfield said at the daily White House coronavirus briefing. "I said it was going to be more difficult and potentially complicated because we're going to have flu and coronavirus circulating at the same time."

(Reporting by Jeff Mason; Editing by Chris Reese)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-23

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Tough spot for anyone. Clearly Amb. Birx has fully consumed the Kool-Aid. Her answer on Georigia's hair-salons re-opening was embarassing.

Fauci's hanging on but expect his legacy will eventually be irreparably tarnished.

Dr. Refield said that he was quoted accurately. It's obvious that what he meant was that the combination of a 'normal' flu season, with an expected second wave of COVID-19, will be worse than the current situation. Worse = more deaths, more hospitalizations. Even trump's 'gut' should be able to "get" that?

Why all these folks, including the president, need to be spending 2+ hours (includes prep time) daily on this reality show is beyond me. Surely they have 'work' they can be doing?

Watching Brix was the worst display ever.

10 hours ago, simple1 said:

Would have thought by now that trump had learned not to attempt to suppress, for political purposes, commentary by his medical experts.

Oh but Dr Trump knows far better than any stupid professor; look how he has taught us all about that bigly covid-19 cure-all, Chloroquine. (Oh the cure has been comprehensively debunked by doctors in three countries - definitely fake news). Incidentally I wonder if he will come up with a cure for dementia before its too late?

Edited by George Aylesham
spelling
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Oh, he does not suppress, he is a much better interpreter of the message than those who spoke the words. 

You do not appreciate his interpreting skills, his ability to articulate, clarify and distill complex messages.

His role as an epidemiologist is much underplayed, along with his humility.

Beside all that, true as it may be, isn't "the fall" when he is due to be re-elected? Can't have anything diverting from that glorious moment. Back in your box Mr CDC Director Robert Redfield , what do you know about these matters anyway?

• Like 1