Foreigners not wearing helmets

I am riding less than I did before the isolation began, but have not noticed less people using helmets. That would extend for the last month and a half. I was out making ATM transfer payments early this morning. No different than before. There was a couple helmetless, normal for this time. Still most were wearing their helmets,as they have been. Chiang Mai south quadrant, from Chiang Mai Gate market in the morning to Hang Dong Makro and east west extensions

Where is this upsurge of helmetless scofflaws?  

21 hours ago, transam said:

Thai folk get a free helmet when they buy a bike, they just don't want to wear one....

Mityon dealer handed me one of those el cheapo things when I purchased my new nmax,I said I don't want one of those ice cream containers,young sales lady thought it was quite funny.

On 4/29/2020 at 9:51 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

And then there are many people who ride in shorts and/or flipflops.

Yes, like my son. He was wearing a helmet, and flip-flops, but fell off at 5 MPH while doing a U-turn. Result - 28 stitches in his foot and rest of holiday spent on crutches.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TantrikLvr said:

No medical insurance will cover any injury of either driver or passenger not wearing a helmet! Could be an expensive mistake...

I doubt that. There might be insurances which clearly write into their policy that they don't cover those cost (or any motorcycle related cost). But there are for sure lots of insurances which don't exclude those costs.

25 minutes ago, Oztruckie said:

Mityon dealer handed me one of those el cheapo things when I purchased my new nmax,I said I don't want one of those ice cream containers,young sales lady thought it was quite funny.

Then you got pulled over and fined. ????

But Mityon sells better helmets, I think.

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I doubt that. There might be insurances which clearly write into their policy that they don't cover those cost (or any motorcycle related cost). But there are for sure lots of insurances which don't exclude those costs.

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Where negligence of any form can be demonstrated no insurance company will provide cover that's for sure.

On 4/29/2020 at 9:51 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

And then there are many people who ride in shorts and/or flipflops. And no gloves, back protection, etc.

When is enough protection enough protection?

I'd never ride in shorts and flip flops. You see the results of that riding gear hobbling in sometimes if you have sit and wait in a hospital waiting room. 

More is always better, but comfort has to come into play at some point. Some reasonable point.

16 minutes ago, TantrikLvr said:

No medical insurance will cover any injury of either driver or passenger not wearing a helmet! Could be an expensive mistake...

A young couple around 20 years old in my extended family were on holiday and rented a scooter some 7 or 8 years ago. No helmet and no insurance - they were on holiday, so what could possible go wrong. Well, driving into the side of a bus could. He died at the scene, she has been a vegetable since. I don't know if she is even aware that he died or what happened.

To top off the distress of the families, the lack of insurance meant they had to pay quite a bit of money to get them home and to get her treated at the local hospital. As others have said in this thread, it is not only yourself that have to pay the price when you choose to drive without a helmet.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Insurance policies usually don't cover if you ride illegaly. They don't need to explicitly exclude certain situations from coverage like riding while high on drugs or without license etc. Since a helmet is required by law, riding without one means also no insurance coverage.

3 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Insurance policies usually don't cover if you ride illegaly. They don't need to explicitly exclude certain situations from coverage like riding while high on drugs or without license etc. Since a helmet is required by law, riding without one means also no insurance coverage.

In farangland yes, but we ain't in farangland....????

On 4/29/2020 at 3:33 AM, jimmjam said:

I wear a helmet for long journeys, if im just going to the local shop down the road i dont bother.

Silly. Mike Hailwood, one of the greatest motorcycle racers ever, was killed on his way to his local fish & chip shop.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Silly. Mike Hailwood, one of the greatest motorcycle racers ever, was killed on his way to his local fish & chip shop.

Not on a bike but in his car as I remember. On the Hogs Back in Guildford.

4 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

No somewhere in Worcestershire. Had a bike shop in Birmingham.

The A435 Alcester Road through Portway, Warwickshire.

It's all on wiki:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Hailwood#Death

edit: As an aside, I've just noticed it's a mile away from where I went to school when I was about six years-old.

Edited by bluesofa
Addendum
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Where negligence of any form can be demonstrated no insurance company will provide cover that's for sure.

BS

Otherwise all insurance companies wouldn't pay if people are drunk and drive or take drugs and need emergency treatment, etc.. Maybe all that is excluded from many travel insurances. It is definitely not excluded from many "normal" health insurance policies. 

4 minutes ago, mr mr said:

good thing you completely missed the point of the post. 

I checked, and you are right.

Perhaps i was replying to the wrong post, or even on the wrong thread.

On 4/30/2020 at 6:53 PM, BritManToo said:

My gf always wears her helmet ...........

girlfriend.jpg

i should of put my *helmet* on 'cause i just had an *accident* looking. you claim she is wearing a helmet in the picture ? where ? ????

• Haha 1