CONFIRMED: Alcohol sales banned until further notice, some businesses allowed to reopen

webfact

6 minutes ago, Susco said:

WOW, 6 hours only for 32 pages of pure desperation, paints a perfect picture of the average TV member

Funny thing is ... which went "whoeshhhh" over your head.

The 'average TV member', is more or less stuck at home since 4-5 weeks ... and this is a thread to vent and rant a little bit ...

Most posts are written in good spirit & fun. 

Make the best out of it!

Edited by RedPill
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, TheDark said:

I believe it's a fact, that there is no alcohol sales until further notice. We can't change that by talking here.

But what each of us can do, is to direct our eagerness to drink beer to something else. We have to do that, no matter what. 

It would be nice to hear what kind of hobbies people have started or continued because of the current and continuing situation. Solutions.

I'm reading a book called "State the Bleeding Obvious." You have a mention.

Was this a sudden ban that came into immediate effect or was notice given ?

I know Thai people like to drink in groups but they also like to eat in groups too.

Bars have been shut here for some time now but can still get beers in the supermarket.

Lucky i am not over there now, I love having a beer on the balcony and relaxing, I think i would go insane.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Yeah I don't understand that at all. What does it have to do with coronavirus ?

There IS some logic to it. Read on...

Common sense would suggest that the reason for banning the booze is to prevent Somchais from sitting in groups and drinking, then after killing some brain cells going off to do other inappropriate things which would spread the virus, such as returning to hug and kiss family members.

Without 'generalising' I think it's fair to say that the government mainly target low-income Thai males as the target group to control in this case. From experience, these guys are completely incapable of buying in advance and rationing the booze for even a few days, never mind a month. This is partly because they don't have the money, and mainly because they can't control themselves or trust their buddies not to cheat. They drink all they have until it's gone.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cmrichsw said:

Common sense would suggest that the reason for banning the booze is to prevent Somchais from sitting in groups and drinking, then after killing some brain cells going off to do other inappropriate things which would spread the virus, such as returning to hug and kiss family members.

Without 'generalising' I think it's fair to say that the government mainly target low-income Thai males as the target group to control in this case. From experience, these guys are completely incapable of buying in advance and rationing the booze for even a few days, never mind a month. This is partly because they don't have the money, and mainly because they can't control themselves or trust their buddies not to cheat. They drink all they have until it's gone.

Sounds like me, too.

9 minutes ago, Susco said:

I knew all those Ex - SAS members would slag me off for my comment.

It gives a new meaning to the SAS title they like to brag about.

Senior Alcoholic Suckers  ????

Meanwhile on Thaivisa..... How To Deal With an Alcoholic Relative - The Catalog of Good Deeds

Edited by Kaopad999
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, cmrichsw said:

Yes. Instead, they run around at the whole village and look and ask everyone who still has a sip of alcohol or homemade sticky rice drink. No virus is stopped by this ban.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Susco said:

I knew all those Ex - SAS members would slag me off for my comment.

It gives a new meaning to the SAS title they like to brag about.

Senior Alcoholic Suckers  ????

Oooohh! Always thought that on TV SAS stood for Sex Addict Solitary.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

I’m basically tea total,totally so in Thailand,but  abroad just now.

Me too, haven't had a cup of Tetley's for months. When I pop the kettle on, it's for a cup of joe. 

Interesting trivia, cup of joe was said to be named after the US naval secretary who banned booze on vessels during WW1. If this ridiculous ban continues maybe we'll all be brewing up a cup of uncle tu before long... 

• Haha 2

The total ban on alcohol sales, based on a specious premise, is little more than the attempt by an authoritarian (almost totalitarian) regime to show it can control every aspect of its citizens lives whenever and however it likes.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, dukeandduke said:

I'm no expert on this.  Any reason they would be unloading a truck of beverages, 90% of them beers, into a 7-11 this evening?

Sanity has arrived in this government.

Singha and Chang have offered money

Orders from Germany

expected information turned out to be wrong

...more ideas welcome

• Like 1

6 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

Mom and Pop shop around the corner has just doubled their prices.

My dear mother in law , gets my daily 3 Beer Leo . 180 bht in total .

That said , i do give her a daily believe tip .

However ,  i can't  believe she is only 42 , seeing is believing,  ex trade.. 

Nuff said ...

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JAG said:

Since the most disgruntled will neither have property nor a job/business as they sit amongst the wreckage of their lives, that should suffice to disenfranchise them.

I'm thinking the booze manufacturers will be among the most disgruntled and have enough money to arm the rest of the 'disenfranchised'.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

In your opinion it is bad. I am not one to judge until i see the long term effects. But my message is from a positive stand point to not get to bogged down with all of this, but to rather just focus on things that can have a positive impact on our lives. 

Pray,  give us a clue , i already have two Kindles, and a grey parrot ..

Edited by elliss
  • Haha 2