Does Anyone have a Feel for how the demographics of Thailand's Farang population has been altered during the past 60 days? By the Virus?

Sitting here in my room, alone but for the Thai myna birds on my balcony, and also during my once-daily solitary jaunts from my home to the nearest hill for exercise, I keep thinking to myself:

Is it not strange that I see so few Farang under the age of near decrepitude?

What I really want to know is just how much this Wuhan Virus has changed the demographics of the Farang here.

I don't think that we will see a great influx of Farang for some time to come, maybe over six months, or so.

And so now, we are just stuck with what we got, which is a totally transformed demographic group.

Probably these old guys don't spend much to help the economy here, not as much as the slightly younger crowd.

These days, I never even approach a Farang because I find it difficult to make any sense of what is being discussed when speaking with masked people.

And so, it is better, I think, to just write my questions here, when a worthy question might occur to me.

Very curious about the changing Farang population here, this is for sure!

FLY OVER DATE > MAY 30 ????

RE-OPEN > MAY 31 or JUNE 1st  ????

C-2019 ATLAS

NIGERIA, 100 HOMES DESTROYED MARCH 31, ONE ALSO LANDED JUST BARELY OUTSIDE LAS VEGAS APRIL 12TH SOMEONE VIDEO RECORDED IT FLYING, PLUS VIDEOS OF LANDINGS IN OTHER PARTS OF THE WORLD ALREADY.

See the source image

MORE COMETS LATER IN THE YEAR.

EARTHQUAKES ARE BRINGING THESE ALL ALIVE WORLDWIDE.

See the source image

EVERYONE'S LIFE IS GOING TO CHANGE IF IT HASN'T - YET.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

AND, I AGREE and empathize with the poster above who states that he doesn't like too many changes as he ages.

Yeah I guess many people have been affected by WW3 C19 and had time to reflect on things.

I have been fortunate to have carried on pretty much the norm.

There's more to the story but to keep it short there are 3 falangies in our village plus me we only wave a hand of acknowledgement or nod when or if we see each other, we have met at one time but have nothing in common.

At this time I can't stop off and have a couple of beers with my Thai mates a few evenings a week.

Can't ride my motorbike and stay places.

As of today finding it hard to get hold of some beer. ????

• Like 2

IMO the demographic is changing because the younger guys can't get here to drink booze and screw bar girls, and even if they could there would be neither available.

• Haha 1

Can’t really say this virus thing has effected me at all, don’t live in an overly farang populated area in fact I can go for months without seeing any foreigners. The only impact that has been noticeable is the temperature taking/mask wearing and hand washing before entering food stores.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Changes .... Tourists have gone. Working expats are declining due to loosing their jobs to Thais or be shafted on contracts (e.g. teachers). Those who loose their jobs due to Covid unlikely to come back. Retirees, Married and retired, very little change. Due to exchange rates less coming to retire, so probably falling due to death rates exceeding arrivals.

What happens over the next few years depends on the world economy.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, kokesaat said:

Although marooned in the US while on vacation, we have every intention of returning to Thailand when allowed.  We've lived in Thailand for 23 straight years, excepting vacations to the US.  Given the state of affairs regarding immigration rules, insurance requirements, exchange rate fluctuations, and now the general state of unease about co-locating overseas, I'll be surprised if the western expat population grows after this all blows over.  We're happy campers, having built our house long ago, no debt, adequate pensions and social security and retired military insurance, so all those recent changes affecting expats have had little/no impact on our lifestyle.  Thailand is still a great place to live if you're well established and have adequate funds.  But I think too many people moved to Thailand during the post-Thaitanic era when exchange rates were more favorable.  Now that they've come back to earth, 30-35 Baht/Dollar, I'd expect the number of people relocating to decline considerably.

Going on the exchange rate alone, the Baht has lost 10% of it's value since the beginning of the year against the USD.

A better guide to whether expats who left (or may potentially come) will be back, will be determined by ease of entry requirements, availability of jobs, friendliness of the people and then exchange rates. The latter is less important for younger people who are coming to work, as opposed to retirees.

37 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

I am 78, lived here over 35 years, married to my Thai wife for 30 years, run 2 houses (1 in Bangkok, 1 in Rayong), monthly expenditure 150k per month, love Thailand, no intention to leave. Not sure if this info answers your question, but you're welcome to it anyway.

On an expenditure that puts you in the top 1% globally I'd imagine you could have a great life anywhere.

A more interesting question for me would be could you say you loved Thailand and your life here if you were living on 50k a month?

Not being facetious. 

• Like 2

My suspicion is that the demographic profile of readers of this forum has also changed during the past 60 days, or so.

My feeling from reading the comments on this site is that the age of the average reader has gradually skewed upwards to some mean of about 60, or so ---maybe higher.

And so, I hope that some of you, those who are a bit older than the children who know who or what Maroon 5 might be, will appreciate this beautiful ballad sung by the incomparable, the one and only, Steve Winwood, and listen attentively while reading and commenting here.

Best to all.

May all of you have an even longer and even more fruitful existence than what has gone before.

Now, listen to John Barleycorn, and comment thoughtfully.

And, may the likes of John Barleycorn never die.

Edited by JohnBarleycorn

My life has hardly changed ,my wife loves running and doing marathons ,and i accompanied her when she was going to sign on at the more local ones ,thats stopped ,her early morning runs with members of her club have stopped so i now tend to walk with her,for the last mile or two .

as we like each others company we tend to spend our time together a lot ,so no problem there , we obviously stay home more ,so i get to catch up on series that i have downloaded ,she does the garden and wash the car more for the exercise ,

oh and we spend less ,and our son and his girlfriend dont stay at weekends ,as both work with lots of other people ,and our son is worried he may pass on the virus .

• Like 1

Well, guessing most of em are locked down at home right now, many have gone home + many can't get back there. Don't think it'd severely affect those on pensions, but as for the farang demographic post-COVID; well, the army would see to it that your Pattayas and other dodgy dubious places of old are homogenised into staid, family-friendly, Chinese-centric meh. RIP Thighland, you were good.

21 hours ago, sidjameson said:

On an expenditure that puts you in the top 1% globally I'd imagine you could have a great life anywhere.

A more interesting question for me would be could you say you loved Thailand and your life here if you were living on 50k a month?

Not being facetious. 

Probably not.

On 5/1/2020 at 12:54 PM, Kwasaki said:

Yeah I guess many people have been affected by WW3 C19 and had time to reflect on things.

I have been fortunate to have carried on pretty much the norm.

There's more to the story but to keep it short there are 3 falangies in our village plus me we only wave a hand of acknowledgement or nod when or if we see each other, we have met at one time but have nothing in common.

At this time I can't stop off and have a couple of beers with my Thai mates a few evenings a week.

Can't ride my motorbike and stay places.

As of today finding it hard to get hold of some beer. ????

Tomorrow's Another Day.

On 5/1/2020 at 8:02 PM, sidjameson said:

Not being facetious. 

I have lived here for 10 years. The first 4 years I was collecting a 250k THB US salary and spent more than 150k per month. Then the job disappeared, and I lived on 40k per month for 4 years. Now I own a company and spend a little under 100k per month. I have enjoyed living here every one of those 10 years. But I must say that now is the best, as I am much smarter and more connected, so my baht goes a lot farther than it did at the beginning.

On 5/1/2020 at 11:49 AM, Oldie said:

I have been living here for almost 3 decades and the Thailand for that I came her long time ago doesn't exist anymore today. Thailand changed a lot and on top of that my body changed a lot. I stay because I am old now and don't know an other place where I could and want to move to. At my age I don't like big changes anymore. Do I spend a lot? I don't know but I am pretty sure that I will leave a lot of money here in this country. Somebody here will inherit it. There is no one left anywhere else. 

Shall I PM you with my bank details? ????

• Haha 2

Fed up to the back teeth with Covid posts and the alcohol lock

down, wonder what people are going to talk about ,when things

return to something near normality.

Here's a question for you Covid fanatics,what colour do you think the virus is ?

regards Worgeordie