How Many Among US Hope to Die Here in Thailand? (This is my hope; I've Seen the World out there.)

This is a question I have contemplated often. If I were given a "three months to live" sentence from a doctor here, I suspect I would return to my home, as I have an exit strategy that really appeals to me. However, if I were suddenly extinguished here, I would have no complaints. My Thai friend has my will, and my instructions, in the event that happens.

There's a rule of thumb for driving and bike riding...  No matter where you intend to go, you're going to end up wherever you focus.

Do I need to explain the implications in a thread on dying in Thailand?

Dunno, maybe if I had no relies left in the real world then yes - preferably while dragging a huge spliff atop a mountain. If you pop off in Muang Thai when all yours are westside, major hassles for them and a little bit selfish methinks.

8 minutes ago, DeusExMachinaBKK said:

How do I find this ignore button? Plenty of red font I wish to have disappear.

Hover over nik, hit 'ignore user'.

• Like 1

I am planning to do it in reverse-so to speak...

When I die I hope that some of my ashes will be scattered on a beautiful Aussie river near my home and the rest returned to Thailand and placed in the family funeral monument in my Thai village.

Well..that's the plan anyway.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

There's a rule of thumb for driving and bike riding...  No matter where you intend to go, you're going to end up wherever you focus.

Do I need to explain the implications in a thread on dying in Thailand?

I have a lifetime Thai motorcycle license.  And the amulet.  But being cautious, I live in the U.S. and don't have a motorcycle.

I one time focused on the two kids on a motorbike who cut across the road in front of me.  I hit them dead center between their legs.  But I ended up in a ditch about 10 meters beyond that I wasn't focusing on.  :cheesy:

thai motorcycle amulet.jpg

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

The issue that concerns me, and I suspect a lot of folks here is will you be allowed to ?

The ever shifting sand of immigration, the ever increasing requirements and what appears to be purposeful obstacles created.

Just think of those who are perhaps in their 70's with another probably fifteen years or more in front of them. They have built a life and possibly have families here. The bridges and connections with their homeland long gone. Their life and all that encompasses is right here.

Then they hit 75 or maybe 80 and all of a sudden the rules change !! The Insurance is compulsory for all and yet not available due to age, what then??

The criteria changes and through no fault you are facing having to LEAVE everyone and everything you've known for the past 25 yrs or more. Not a nice situation and one that quietly is a deep concern to many in this land.......what if ?

So, its not a case of "where will you die" its more a case of "where will you end up" because there are no certainties here ! 

For some, that prospect is deeply disturbing but nevertheless has to be contemplated.

I holiday in Pattaya and two ex pat pals of mine have seen the writing on the wall and are back in the UK. One who I'm in touch with is currently paying £210 (9,000 B) a week to stay in a cheap B&B hostel in London.

He came back to sort some affairs out and can't now return. He does not know what the future holds. All of a sudden he's more concerned about where he's going to live than where he's going to die.

His life has been turned upside down with his belongings in a hotel room 6,000 miles away.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

I holiday in Pattaya and two ex pat pals of mine have seen the writing on the wall and are back in the UK. One who I'm in touch with is currently paying £210 (9,000 B) a week to stay in a cheap B&B hostel in London.

He came back to sort some affairs out and can't now return. He does not know what the future holds. All of a sudden he's more concerned about where he's going to live than where he's going to die.

His life has been turned upside down with his belongings in a hotel room 6,000 miles away.

So sad to hear your friend didn't have a backup plan , sold up back home and is now in this predicament . When dung hits the fan, back home is where you want to be. Never mind the stress you put on your family, heirs, trying to get u home, and selling up your assets in banana land. 

It all seems like a great place until that day comes. And it comes for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I live and have a very good life here in Thailand with my wife and step daughter ! Everything I have here,is here,except for the majority of my savings and my two  adult kids back in the states.

I do think of how it will occur! I don't want to linger and be a burden!

I don't have the virus but it has kept me from visiting the doctor for this and that. Hopefully,soon ,I can get busy living again! 

Judging by the amount of medications and blood tests and scans that my parents both have (in 80s) then me think back home is way to go. I couldnt afford all those pills and tests if I had to pay for them - neither could they.  Subsidised medical care is back home - here would be very expensive and long trips to hospitals/clinics for scans and other tests. I reckon both would have been dead long ago if not for all the medications and stuff. The issue is when to leave and go home 75? 80? 85? 90? I guess if something happens that decision is made for you. But seems more often than not Expats get sick and cant leave - then too late. No matter where or when, my ashes will be in wife's village, she has a spot already for us both. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TommyBlue said:

Judging by the amount of medications and blood tests and scans that my parents both have (in 80s) then me think back home is way to go. I couldnt afford all those pills and tests if I had to pay for them - neither could they.  Subsidised medical care is back home - here would be very expensive and long trips to hospitals/clinics for scans and other tests. I reckon both would have been dead long ago if not for all the medications and stuff. The issue is when to leave and go home 75? 80? 85? 90? I guess if something happens that decision is made for you. But seems more often than not Expats get sick and cant leave - then too late. No matter where or when, my ashes will be in wife's village, she has a spot already for us both. 

I think my folks were on the flipside of that.  Pills for this, pills for that, then more pills to counter the side effects of pills they probably didn't need.  What was missing was physical activity.  They got to feeling tired, so they quit exercising.  So they felt worse, and went in to get pills.  Which had the side effect of making them more tired, so they exercised even less.  I think they'd have lived a lot happier (and probably longer) if they couldn't count on easy access to subsidized medicine.  And daytime TV and easy chairs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TommyBlue said:

The issue is when to leave and go home 75? 80? 85? 90?

You guys are all planning on living a long life.

All the guys I've known died before reaching age 70.

Dave2 made it to 71.

I'm 65 years old now, I'm OK with that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

When dung hits the fan, back home is where you want to be.

Stick had a great article years ago called something like....When Somchai Pulls the Trigger

Basically it was as you say

It all seems like a great place until that day comes. And it comes for everyone.

Best to think ahead ????

Boy o boy, I read CharlieH post and I started to get depressed.  Walked out to the Balcony, looked 45 floor's down, and said, "nope, still got a lot of life left".  No way the world will be ending anytime soon for me, at least that's my view, nor would I become a flyer.......just barbeque me, after I have been propped up by the Jukebox, and then spread me over the ocean, not ever going to spread myself on the concrete....

Sat back down at the keyboard, drank some of my Bailey's laced coffee, and looked out my big windows at my view of BKK.  All is right with the world again, happy as a clam.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DeusExMachinaBKK said:

How do I find this ignore button? Plenty of red font I wish to have disappear.

Click your profile photo name top right and fine it on the drop list. ????