Oops! Drug suspect escapes after using a hair clip to undo his cuffs

webfact

Iv'e seen this in the movies ......   actually i've seen it in ' The Blacklist ' which i'm watching every night. 

I didn't think anyone could really do it though 

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

More likely they hadn't cuffed him properly or at all. Cuffs are hard to pick with your hands immobolised...so I've been told :whistling:

51 minutes ago, webfact said:

He left Kittinan cuffed to the vehicle while he took the rehab guy inside. 

So maybe one hand secured to the vehicle, leaving the other hand free to do the lock picking.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

Iv'e seen this in the movies ......   actually i've seen it in ' The Blacklist ' which i'm watching every night. 

Yep....Raymond Reddington can open cuffs in a flask....with a hairpin...so it must be true!

Edited by ChrisY1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChrisY1 said:

Yep....Raymond Reddington can open cuffs in a flask....with a hairpin...so it must be true!

that's a great show ....  and he's such a good actor,  i've been watching it for 3 weeks now, 50 or episodes ...

6 hours ago, webfact said:

A hair clip was found at the scene. 

That's an eagle-eyed policeman, who instantly knew what had happened when he saw a hair clip lying on the ground.

If it had been a video clip, he'd still be watching it now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

More likely they hadn't cuffed him properly or at all. Cuffs are hard to pick with your hands immobolised...so I've been told :whistling:

Spent a lot of years in the cops & never heard of anyone succeeding with a hair clip.  Plenty tried (by way of experiment), with the same results as you "heard about."

There was one memorable guy who handed the cuffs over after taking them off.  He was able to dislocate his thumbs at will.  Said it didn't hurt much.   Handcuff keys work for every set from the same manufacturer, so maybe he had a key.  Finding a bobby pin is hardly conclusive.

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

From my days a s a trucks/loris mechanic i can deduce that what is showing in the picture is not a hair clip looks like more to be a split pin that is being used to secure mechanical lugs on shafts so they will not unwind back...

Yep it's a Split pin  ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

If you like the The Blacklist i think you will like Ozark 3 seasons 10 eps per season about 1 hour an eps 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

From my days a s a trucks/loris mechanic i can deduce that what is showing in the picture is not a hair clip looks like more to be a split pin that is being used to secure mechanical lugs on shafts so they will not unwind back...

I hope your not a mechanic anymore i surely wouldn't bring my car to you if you can't see that's a hairpin ????????????????

3 hours ago, Mick501 said:

Spent a lot of years in the cops & never heard of anyone succeeding with a hair clip.  Plenty tried (by way of experiment), with the same results as you "heard about."

There was one memorable guy who handed the cuffs over after taking them off.  He was able to dislocate his thumbs at will.  Said it didn't hurt much.   Handcuff keys work for every set from the same manufacturer, so maybe he had a key.  Finding a bobby pin is hardly conclusive.

You also watched that movie with the guy dislocating his thumbs ??? Or was it his shoulder ????

1 hour ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

You also watched that movie with the guy dislocating his thumbs ??? Or was it his shoulder ????

Good Ol Mel Gibson.  Patsy Kensit was so hot in that one.   True story about the thumbs though.  The guy was happy to do a demo - very impressive party trick.

3 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

I hope your not a mechanic anymore i surely wouldn't bring my car to you if you can't see that's a hairpin ????????????????

Hair pins normally have bumps on one side while split pins are straight. Another name for split pins is cotter pins. I think it's a split pin myself.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

Hair pins normally have bumps on one side while split pins are straight. Another name for split pins is cotter pins. I think it's a split pin myself.

I saw the image and just accepted it was a hair clip. However, since you've mentioned a split pin, you've absolutely right.

Cotter Pin | Haryana Spring & Pressing Works ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, webfact said:

Oops! Drug suspect escapes after using a hair clip to undo his cuffs

I reckon he watched Anthony Hopkins unlock the cuffs in Silence of the Lambs but in the absence of a pen to make a key out of he managed it with a split pin .. which says a lot about the cuffs .. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, steven100 said:

Umm ... that’s a tv show yeah?! It’s theatre, a make believe show.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Maybe they were the pink fluffy ones, or "Alibaba's" finest 3 for 2 offer??

• Haha 1