SURVEY: Thai Airways -- Save it or let it go?

Scott

SURVEY: Thai Airways -- Save it or let it go?  

346 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Thai government has agreed to assist Thai Airways with a 54 billion baht bailout and a further 80 billion baht recovery loan.   In the past Thai Airways has required government help.   In your opinion which of the following options best describes your opinion on the matter.  

Please feel free to leave a comment.  

Topic running here:  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, crobe said:

Here is the 10-point plan to save Thai

1) The government to pass a law requiring its 51% in the carrier to be sold within 3 years - prior to the next general election

2) A new management team and board of directors with experience in aviation and turnarounds to be appointed, no political appointees, no air force appointees. Strict performance criteria on new team.

3) New Thai to concentrate on long-haul international routes only (3 hours plus) - short haul intra-ASEAN routes to be sold off

4) LCC Thai Smile to be sold off - as this mostly operates out of Don Mueang it is not even a feeder for Thai

5) Catering division to be sold off

6) No free trips, discounts or other benefits for government officers or other "friends". Thai government travel procurement can receive reduced business class fares based on a commercial agreement for bulk purchase - most countries do this.

7) Reduction in workforce to benchmark against comparable airlines i.e. SIA

8 MRO investment at U-Tapao to be scrapped - Airbus already pulled out of this

9) Existing fleet sold or converted to cargo/leaseback - new efficient planes leased

10) Fares to be benchmarked and made competitive - i.e. on codeshare routes - new algorithms for capacity planning

I read this post then went off to do a few things. Nothing serious. Then I came back and read it again... Great plan.

I've always considered it rather sad about Thai and its status as a/the national airline. The lack of pride... of being representative of the Kingdom and it's people is seemingly not subject to same unwritten law of saving face at any cost.

I have used Thai where I can for any flight over 2 hours & I find them on the whole to be good.

What the restructuring plan has to do first is STOP all Government officials & family of employees getting free or very discounted flights.

Remember that idiot from the Government demanded to stay in 1st class even when sold to a paying passenger. This rubbish has to stop

Any Gov't Department eg:  The Dept of Foreign Affairs or The Office of the Prime Minister  using the airline gets billed in the normal 

manner & pays their bill from their own budget not just a "freebie"

This will save them millions.

NO EXCEPTIONS apart from normal FF

• Like 2

4 hours ago, crobe said:

Here is the 10-point plan to save Thai

1) The government to pass a law requiring its 51% in the carrier to be sold within 3 years - prior to the next general election

2) A new management team and board of directors with experience in aviation and turnarounds to be appointed, no political appointees, no air force appointees. Strict performance criteria on new team.

3) New Thai to concentrate on long-haul international routes only (3 hours plus) - short haul intra-ASEAN routes to be sold off

4) LCC Thai Smile to be sold off - as this mostly operates out of Don Mueang it is not even a feeder for Thai

5) Catering division to be sold off

6) No free trips, discounts or other benefits for government officers or other "friends". Thai government travel procurement can receive reduced business class fares based on a commercial agreement for bulk purchase - most countries do this.

7) Reduction in workforce to benchmark against comparable airlines i.e. SIA

8 MRO investment at U-Tapao to be scrapped - Airbus already pulled out of this

9) Existing fleet sold or converted to cargo/leaseback - new efficient planes leased

10) Fares to be benchmarked and made competitive - i.e. on codeshare routes - new algorithms for capacity planning

We had the same issue with AIRCANADA.  Your solution is good but it needs a few tweaks.

Sell all but 25% of the stock that way if there is a need for assistance it is there.

Keep the current planes until things are running in the blue or the planes are no longer cost efficient.

Sell some of the real estate assets there are a lot of buildings that THAI owns that are not needed.

The management team should have minimal aviation people and more business people that know how to manage a business.

It would not be a bad idea to allow Thai staff to purchase the shares.  Then they have a reason for ensuring that the company succeeds.

My personal belief is that a company like PWC should be hired to go through the complete books as well as the day to day operations of all sections.  

• Like 2

This airline is a continous money pit and it will not change. In economicsl terms it is bankrupt (for a long time). Thai ppl know it and do not like it. This 10 point plan looks fine to me but unrealistic when you look behind and inside this airline. There is reasons that cannot be talked here so get brain in gear. They still fly Germany, why is this, well think about it. Therefore all further discussion is useless. Nothing will change. 

Personally I not fly with them due to the safety rankings that never were good but get worse for the past years and also I am not willed to support that system.

Edited by OKF

It does not have a good reputation for several reasons.

I say either let it go under or rename it, new logos etc, restructure the entire business plan and management staff.

They do have some decent routes and times they fly it would be a shame to lose those.

5 hours ago, crobe said:

Catering division to be sold off

Used to fly many airlines from BKK using Gateway Gourmet for catering services which were far superior to anything Thai catering provided.  Don`t know what happened to their BKK location but have not seen them as they seem to have moved location from near to where I live in Bang Khen/Lak Si.  Have not flown Thai for years and will maintain that in the coming years.

'nuf sed.

3 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Frakking "Flag Carriers"! Just another expression of the National "small appendage" syndrome. Just forget it and get on with life. 

an expert on the Thai appendage it seems

• Haha 1