do you acknowledge other farangs?

At the Big Cs and Tescos out in Issan, when encountering another farang the reaction was about 50/50, either get ignored, or a smile and nod. Especially we were both with our wives, like we're both in this together, hah. Around temples, I got asked for directions. Around schools I was approached by some of the few farang parents, asking if I knew who the good teachers were, or which might be a better school. ????

About 3 years ago I had some wonderful interactions in the Issan farang bars. Many people traveling, different jobs, different walks of life. Lots of good stories exchanged, comparing of notes. I got this in the several different provinces I visited. One of the things we frequently commented on was that coming to just this one country was in fact like seeing the world, because of running into all the other people from around the world who've come here.

Then up until about a year ago, in these same bars, it was all gone. About 80% of the customers disappeared. Only the longest term retirees stuck around, and the convo with them wasn't nearly as good. As many have noted, as the time spent here increases so does the moaning and groaning, for some people. I suspect the decline having to do with tougher immigration, falling foreign currencies, and the rising baht.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
clean up
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Ahhh so you judge people based on gossip and hearsay , good to know.      ????

Absolutely, to be fair though the few I have interacted with could stand a bit closer to a bar of soap.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Then up until about a year ago, in these same bars, it was all gone. About 80% of the customers disappeared. Only the longest term retirees stuck around, and the convo with them wasn't nearly as good. As many have noted, as the time spent here increases so does the moaning and groaning, for some people. I suspect the decline having to do with tougher immigration, falling foreign currencies, and the rising baht.

Maybe it's nothing to do with length of time here, and all to do with the place getting worse.

As far as I can tell conditions in Thailand have been sliding downhill at an ever increasing rate since 2010, not only for foreigners but for Thais as well.

Whereas the surrounding countries Cambodia and Vietnam have only been getting better.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My experience with non native English speakers are mostly alright. 

We both speak an English easy to understand, usually a school English as second - third language. 

Fourth in my personal case. 

My problem is with  British, usually I not understand what they say, some even becomes angry when you tell them you don't understand their English. 

Or they are so surprised you know nothing about Fulham FC ( an example). 

So I have learned to mostly avoid other farangs. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Yes, no maybe.

that would be my answer too.  Sometimes, if you catch someones eye, you may nod, but otherwise not really. I'm not a people, person, so I am not programmed to seek company or farang conversation, I had enough of that in my working life. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

that would be my answer too.  Sometimes, if you catch someones eye, you may nod, but otherwise not really. I'm not a people, person, so I am not programmed to seek company or farang conversation, I had enough of that in my working life. 

agree .... and most of the time they'll just rabbit on either about their misery and problems or how rich they are and all the things they think they own in Thailand 

• Haha 2

Just now, n210mp said:

I'm beginning to think that most of the Thai-Visa clientele is "socially dysfunctional"

What a sad world we have come too when the common courtesy of a smile or simple "hello" can manifest so much cynicism and fear!   

In my family I am noted for being anti social and liking my own company.  20 odd years Military Service with endless cocktail parties, talking to people I had no interest in and hours of inane conversations, robbed me or any social graces I may have had then. Later years, long hours spent in the front end of a Boeing ensured the finished product, me now. Socially dysfunctional, definitely. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, n210mp said:

I'm beginning to think that most of the Thai-Visa clientele is "socially dysfunctional"

What a sad world we have come too when the common courtesy of a smile or simple "hello" can manifest so much cynicism and fear!   

if a 70 year ole fart keep haunting you several times a week

seeking affirmation , do come back and let us know if you evolved your analysis as to the value of this 'entertainment'

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

I live in in Isaan. Smile, nod, "hello" is OK. Anything more will sooner or later lead to:

- my money got stuck an coming next monday, can you lend me some meanwhile?

- you're here 8 years? I'm longer, let me explain how things work here

- 30 minutes long rants about how he hates worthless Thai people and how everything in Thailand sucks and is wrong

Yup, so true. 

And of course, how successful they are.....

On two different occasions,  a couple of blokes have told me that they had a "£10mil business in the UK" & therefore didn't need to work.

• Like 1

I never see farang at my village.

But have the slingshot in my pocket. Always prepare. Ready for that.

????

In Phuket I happy to talk with farang woman, family, kids. Fun. Interesting.

But ignore single man.

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Yinn said:

????

But ignore single man.

Ahhh....so you are looking for married men .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Yinn said:

????

But ignore single man.

im very discreet in case youre looking for a poa kep