Thaksin says Thai lockdown a mistake

snoop1130

9 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

My opinion is that his opinion is nothing to do with the best interests of Thailand, rather the best interests of Thaksin............................ but we know that.

Again, you do not get to be universally loved and adored by millions by solely serving your own interests.

Thaksin's mistake, in the views of many expats, is that he treated the rural poor like humans, which is a concept incomprehensible and unimaginable for those expats, who have nothing but contempt for the majority of Thai people and which are exactly the sentiments of the Thai elite and this current regime, that the Thai people should know their place!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

One stole money and the other stole the whole country including the treasury. If you need me to explain that to you, then you have little idea what has been going on over the last 6 years.

You had better make that 17 years 'cause that's how long I've been here.???? Misread your post.

28 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

I'm betting thousands of people who were killed in his his "war on drugs" may not agree with you. Not to mention his shameless corruption, nepotism and self enrichment.

So you don't agree, who gets your vote? or are you just being contentious....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/16/2020 at 12:01 AM, Jonathan Swift said:

I don't think that's what the guy meant, hard to tell, it was a vague  remark. Doesn't matter who achieves the results, it's the results that matter, 12 months to a year most likely, and that is fast tracking it. 

'... 12 months to a year'.

Not familiar with that time span. 

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2020 at 3:22 PM, rtco said:

Oh of course ... full of corrupt judiciary paid by the Government

Which Taksin did nothing to change.

Corrupt judiciary only works for you when you're in charge. Taksin and his sister are prime examples of that. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 5/14/2020 at 6:05 PM, unamazedloso said:

Who cares what Thaksin thinks? Isn't he a criminal like his sister? Typical greedy nature.

Thaksin did some good things - his misdeeds are now largely ignored, overwritten and forgotten as they're overwritten by reminders of his triumphs.

As we see these old 'criminals' ousted, we see the new 'criminals' take their place who take even more, and don't do much to replace what they take. I remember him sending out gunmen to shoot people he didn't like in his 'war against drugs'. He was a tyrant, but people remember him for his small gestures... 

I remember him mostly for introducing the 30 baht medical scheme - even as the worshipped heads preferred to support militarism and oppression Thaksin offered something very slightly less unpalatable.

Absolute dictatorship and absolute monarchy are the future... 

It's a bit like replacing the Mafia you saw in the Godfather with the real Mafia and finding out the real difference. The honourable behaviour attributed to them in the fiction was just that, fiction. They were JUST brutal thugs who did not do any good. In the past we had brutal thugs that did some good to keep the illusion alive.

19 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

I'm betting thousands of people who were killed in his his "war on drugs" may not agree with you. Not to mention his shameless corruption, nepotism and self enrichment.

Exactly. In his time he was evil, but since he was kicked out, that evil is being refined and strengthened.

There's no longer any need to actually provide even a sip of water to the starving masses.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

As with Philippines many of the population agree with stopping drug lords killing their young. I agree there was nepotism and corruption but nowhere near the level it is now. 200 senators?  did he ever do that?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

As with Philippines many of the population agree with stopping drug lords killing their young. I agree there was nepotism and corruption but nowhere near the level it is now. 200 senators?  did he ever do that?

I agree with wanting to stop drug lords killing their young. But, like in the Phillipines, the thousands that were killed in Thailand in extrajudicial police action were mainly drug addicts and small time dealers. The drug lords are never brought to justice, because they can always just pay their way out of any possible trouble.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CGW said:

So you don't agree, who gets your vote? or are you just being contentious....

I can't vote in Thailand. I was just stating the obvious: that Thaksin is/was a power hungry and money grabbing billionaire who has committed serious crimes and should return to Thailand to face the music. The current regime are even worse than Thaksin, though, I'll give you that.

11 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

I can't vote in Thailand. I was just stating the obvious: that Thaksin is/was a power hungry and money grabbing billionaire who has committed serious crimes and should return to Thailand to face the music. The current regime are even worse than Thaksin, though, I'll give you that.

Your giving me nothing, all I stated was that IMO he was the best Thailand has ever had, it's a sad state of affairs!

Current regime are worse - agree, historically who has ever done a better job? 

Expecting him to return to Thailand to face politically trumped up charges from a regime who, as you state "are even worse" than him, just isn't going to happen is it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keesters said:

Which Taksin did nothing to change.

Corrupt judiciary only works for you when you're in charge. Taksin and his sister are prime examples of that. 

I think this Government has shown far more of a propensity for corruption than any other previous Government. As well as silencing their opposition through very dubious supposedly legal processes. I guess you are OK with that!

Edited by rtco
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 4:04 PM, Baerboxer said:

They would be the charges that he actually didn't dispute? 

First he tried to give the money he and then wifey made back. Thinking that would end it.

Then he tried to bribe the judges with the famous pastry box filled with money for which his lawyer served time.

And you don't find it suspicious that his wife was one of very few bidders on a tender for government land, won with the highest bid out of all the very very low bids; and then sold the land for a massive high price?

He most certainly isn't the only corrupt politician in Thailand. But most certainly was one of the worst.

He's not even close to being the worst.

Wasn't then and certainly isn't now.

• Like 2

On 5/16/2020 at 8:46 AM, Mr Meeseeks said:

Again, you do not get to be universally loved and adored by millions by solely serving your own interests.

Thaksin's mistake, in the views of many expats, is that he treated the rural poor like humans, which is a concept incomprehensible and unimaginable for those expats, who have nothing but contempt for the majority of Thai people and which are exactly the sentiments of the Thai elite and this current regime, that the Thai people should know their place!

Ah, I see you joined TV yesterday, and have posted extensively in your praise for Thaksin since!

I think that tells us all we need to know. 

Bye bye! 

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CGW said:

Your giving me nothing, all I stated was that IMO he was the best Thailand has ever had, it's a sad state of affairs!

Current regime are worse - agree, historically who has ever done a better job? 

Expecting him to return to Thailand to face politically trumped up charges from a regime who, as you state "are even worse" than him, just isn't going to happen is it?

OK, point taken, apparently we were talking degrees of bad and worse government. While Thaksin may have been the best Thailand has ever had, it doesn't matter if you're being mauled by a tiger or a bear, you end up getting hurt (or dead) either way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

It's a game they play. Who can control the trough, get the most out of the trough when in control, and make sure they don't get any repercussions for doing it.

He lost. He's trying to get back in the game, but the opposition are keeping him out and new players are coming in to take his positions.

And the poor population are saddled with the consequences of the game.

3 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

You substantiate that Thaksin was the worst first.

A cursory glance at Thai political history and it is clear to see he is and was nowhere near the worse.

Really, I shouldn't have to be on here explaining this, it's obvious.

555 - troll!

We know you can't. If it's so obvious you wouldn't have to point it out!

ps. I didn't post he was the worst. Either your reading of English isn't good, or you chose to change it!! ????

Edited by Baerboxer

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

There's that contempt for Thais as I alluded to in an earlier post.

I bet most Thais are far more informed that the vast majority of expats.

Other than myself I know very few expats that can read, write and speak fluent Thai, so they can't even read a newspaper or understand Thai news on TV or social media.

From my experience, it seems that foreigners that mix with the lowest class of Thais that work in the sex-industry, this will be your opinion, that all Thais are peasants, all Thais are paid to vote and only interested in money and a whole host of other distasteful stereotypes.

I work with Thais and foreigners. My Thai is far away from perfect but I manage.

I don't know how many expats know what is going on in Thailand. I am sure there are lots of them who don't care. And they don't really have to care because they can't vote anyhow, it's up to them how informed they want to be.

What I don't like are Thais and foreigners who look at one sided information and then pretend to know the truth. And there are definitely too many of them around. And it seems lots of farangs believe everything their wife/gf tells them.

It's obviously not easy to know all the details about what is going on all the time. But Thaksin's crimes were described in detail in national and international news. And lots of people still pretend he was the good guy who cared about the people. 555 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Why many want to present Thaksin as anything but a scammer and corrupt politician, which he clearly is, is speculative. But most foreigners, with a modicum of intelligence, can see right through him. And so can most Thais.

Funnily enough, I find the opposite to be true.

The foreigners that have an obsession with the man are usually the most uninformed, politically naive, culturally challenged and not unsurprisingly, the most vocal about their opinions.

Still, as I have said before history will be fairly kind to Thaksin.

You do know that this mob have robbed the Thai people of what was promised to them?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2020 at 4:51 PM, rudi49jr said:

quote "Not to mention his shameless corruption, nepotism and self enrichment."

Now that description fits the current PM like a glove.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 2:40 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for your long comment. I just pick one paragraph.

Many people, including me, have no problem when drug dealers are punished, go to jail or get killed.

But it's important that they are actual drug dealers. And that is and was the big problem at that time. Thaksin set quotas and the police worked to fulfill those numbers. I.e. they might have had a quota to arrest 5000 drug dealers (sorry, I don't remember the number). And then the news came out that the police arrested maybe 5003 drug dealers. Quota done. Now how did they do that?

I know from one woman who's brother dealt in drugs when he was young that the police approached him. They told him they need to make arrests. And because he dealt drugs in the past he would be the perfect guy. But they gave him a chance that they don't arrest him - when he pays enough money. He paid, even when (according to her) he didn't deal since years. And it is no secret that the police killed thousands of suspects. Suspects! Not convicted drug dealers. And it seems they had this policy: I don't like this or that guy, he must be a dealer. BOOM. No problem, Thaksin allowed it...

Lots of Thais are aware of this. But somehow many seem to think it does not matter if a couple of innocent people died...

Ok, i didn't know that.

I'm thinking that everywhere around the world there is bad people (police or not) who doesn't follow the law or make arrangement with.

I see this every where... not only in my own country, not only in England, not only in Republic of Congo, not only in Democratic Republic of Congo, not only in RCA, not only in India, not only in French, not only in Italia, not only in Thailand...

But the point i didn't know about is this story about quotas to arrest drug dealers, who is, i think, sure a pretty bad way to practice a strict and clear law.

What i know about is the difference between before and after.... the final result. Who seems to be pretty good after all. Doesn't it ?

On 5/17/2020 at 5:42 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

Funnily enough, I find the opposite to be true.

The foreigners that have an obsession with the man are usually the most uninformed, politically naive, culturally challenged and not unsurprisingly, the most vocal about their opinions.

Still, as I have said before history will be fairly kind to Thaksin.

You do know that this mob have robbed the Thai people of what was promised to them?

to be fair, both sides suck. It's like trying to choose between the Democrats or the Republicans. Newsflash: both suck and work for corporate interests and not for you.