Distance learning system to be tested on May 18

webfact

Distance learning system to be tested on May 18

37b9c844baea82a02bb4777ae6c3ee98_small.jpg

BANGKOK(NNT) - With children having to study from home due to the coronavirus disease COVID-19 pandemic, the Distance Learning Foundation is helping the Ministry of Education set up distance learning and teaching programs via the digital television system, after the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) agreed to allow students to access education through 17 TV channels.

Privy Councilor, Gen. Dapong Ratanasuwan, in his capacity as executive chairman of the Distance Learning Foundation, said today that his foundation will provide educational courses from kindergarten to junior high school level, and the Ministry of Education will schedule classes on 12 channels.

Three other channels will provide education to students between 10th and 12th grades, with all courses to be provided by the ministry. The remaining two channels will offer vocational education as well as non-formal and informal education.

The Education Minister, Nataphol Teepsuwan, mentioned that schools will reopen, after the COVID-19 situation is resolved. Social distancing will remain in effect initially, and students may have to take turns attending school and continue studying from educational TV channels.

In normal times, distance learning requires a satellite receiver. In the next six months, students will be able to access distance learning programs on digital TV channels 37 to 53. The Ministry of Education will test the system on May 18 this year, and will start operating on July 1. To watch these channels, people can simply unplug their digital set-top TV box to enable automatic updates.

Source: http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG200514174004581

nnt.jpg

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Ours just stops working when I unplug it, should I return it to the store?

I can't imagine how unplugging it would work. Mine loses channels from time to time. I've learned to go to the menu (there's a button on the controller). Press the Right button twice to go to Channel Search, and then the Down button once to Auto. Press the OK button and go eat a piece of pie or something. Come back in a few minutes and all the current channels will now be available when you press the buttons. I don't have any idea how a newer TV that doesn't need the set-top box would work.

9 minutes ago, Acharn said:

I don't have any idea how a newer TV that doesn't need the set-top box would work.

Exactly the same, auto-scan in digital setup ????

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The Education Minister, Nataphol Teepsuwan, mentioned that schools will reopen, after the COVID-19 situation is resolved. Social distancing will remain in effect initially, and students may have to take turns attending school and continue studying from educational TV channels.

If kids lose interest in school how are they going to make sure they study from home?

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

If kids lose interest in school how are they going to make sure they study from home?

Its nigh on impossible......Studying from home started last week for my 8yr old daughter, 11 subjects reduced to 4 without any explanation, home made videos compiled by teachers sent & to us by the Line app which we then have to download & forward to our daughters tablet. Some printing & scanning involved plus the purchase of note books. Form teacher disappears after 5 days & a replacement is on the scene, again without any explanation. This week every video received is exactly the same as last week! This time there is an explanation, its due to the lack of response from students last week!...BE ALERT AMAZING THAILAND

My daughter is meant to start on the 18th also. We have already picked up the books, but so far the school has provided zero information on how it will work. TIT. I expect it will be a massive cock up.

This article is the first information i have seen apart from the date!

• Like 1

My kids have been doing remote learning since March [or was it early April, not sure but thereabouts] (International school). I can already tell it won't be easy, technical difficulties are common, the new mode of communication does not suit all, submitting work needs a robust platform that's usually not that robust in practise and for smaller kids, I can vouch for it being a PITA for the parents to be on the call for assistance all the time while the classes are running. Good luck. 

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

My kids have been doing remote learning since March [or was it early April, not sure but thereabouts] (International school). I can already tell it won't be easy, technical difficulties are common, the new mode of communication does not suit all, submitting work needs a robust platform that's usually not that robust in practise and for smaller kids, I can vouch for it being a PITA for the parents to be on the call for assistance all the time while the classes are running. Good luck. 

yes, must be difficult for the Thai authorities to introduce something that has been widely available online, with stable teaching platforms such as Cambly, Just Kids, and many other international teaching providers, for at least the last 10 years.  Nothing like trying to reinvent the wheel.  

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 2

The DLTV site has more or less crashed as of 0800 this morning. However, the "live" classes are "live" video which can be viewed on YouTube 24/7. You will still need to download assignments/schedule from DLTV, but that can be done at any time. Both my kids are now viewing their first class on YouTube. I'll assume the reason for the "live" DLTV version is to get kids into a regimen.

Edited by Shot
  • Like 1

Yep, my kid was given this today ........... doesn't work, the working sign just goes around and around.

Has any Thai company managed to field an app that doesn't instantly fail when the mass public try to use it?

Can't see it being anything but worthless for my 8 yo son.

I'd have to tie him to a chair in front of the screen.

And hide the remote so he doesn't switch to 'Minecraft'.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2