how do you fight a snake?

BananaBandit

44 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

This is by far the best advice on the forum.

Over the last 20 years I have had to move a lot of 'visitors'. (No snake catcher where I live.)

If you have to do it yourself, the best weapon is the pool net. Scoop it up and drop the snake somewhere else. This worked with everything except a 4 meter long python, a two meter long monitor lizard and a 3 meter long king cobra. I decided to let them stay until they were bored. Golden Tree snakes (we get lots on Samui) and Wolf snakes. Pick them up and put them somewhere safe.

Note to self forget Samui sounds far to much slithering for my liking ????

Maybe wife is secret blond! She have only get AI coz now her hair is black!

Few days ago in close our house was cobra on road and she stop the car front of that!!

I ask her <deleted> you are doing run over that!

She say im scared........ lol

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Haha 2

Okay, you guys have convinced me to ignore any snake outside of my house. 

But what to do if snake already inside my house?

Could I leave front door open and go hide in my bedroom, then stomp on floor to create vibrations that make snake want to exit my house?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BananaBandit said:

Okay, you guys have convinced me to ignore any snake outside of my house. 

But what to do if snake already inside my house?

Could I leave front door open and go hide in my bedroom, then stomp on floor to create vibrations that make snake want to exit my house?

The advice in Post #2 still holds good. Call your local snake man.

Nip over to the village office now and get his number.

• Thanks 2

On 5/15/2020 at 12:19 AM, CharlieH said:

Coming to think of it...  

Does a headless human react in a similar manner?

For example, during the L'Revolution Francais, when Monsieur Pierre rendevous avec L'Guillotine, would his head keep biting like that post-decapitation?

In a small garden, If you keep everything tidy, keep the grass cut short, and don't have things laying about that snakes can use to get under to shelter, then any snake that comes in will soon leave as there is nothing to attract it.  

As for finding a snake in the house, simply open all the doors and windows.. get a long broom and encourage the thing out.  Only exception I would say is cobra, as they will stand their ground and might spit venom at you if you antagonise them.  Best to call an expert in to get one of them out of your house.  

Don't get too close, and don't try to catch it or kill it.  This is when accidents can happen.  Don't corner it either.  Take you time and keep calm.

I am fortunate that I don't have a phobia of snakes, I actually quite like them, and have kept pet snakes in the past.  

Edited by jak2002003
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Snakes will usually leave you alone if you leave them alone.

They are sensitive to vibration, so bring out a boom box with a Rolling Stones number and the bass turned up to maximum.

But you have to be careful. A lot of snakes are Stones fans.

Better try Slim Whitman. Takes a tough snake (or Martian) to handle him!

A friend of mine back in Australia threw a bucket of gasoline on a nest of snakes followed by a match

It worked on eradicating the snake problem, too bad about the house repairs needed  :cheesy:

We all went around after the fire brigade left, a good laugh was had by all except him when the wife returned 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

In a small garden, If you keep everything tidy, keep the grass cut short, and don't have things laying about that snakes can use to get under to shelter, then any snake that comes in will soon leave as there is nothing to attract it.  

As for finding a snake in the house, simply open all the doors and windows.. get a long broom and encourage the thing out.  Only exception I would say is cobra, as they will stand their ground and might spit venom at you if you antagonise them.  Best to call an expert in to get one of them out of your house.  

Don't get too close, and don't try to catch it or kill it.  This is when accidents can happen.  Don't corner it either.  Take you time and keep calm.

I am fortunate that I don't have a phobia of snakes, I actually quite like them, and have kept pet snakes in the past.  

I like them also, marinated in  garlic and chilli then BBQed :licklips:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, NE1 said:

I  used a Hessian sack taped to the end of a length of pipe. Laid the open end down facing the snake and he went straight for it.

Up the pipe and into the sack.

I've heard similar using a box and a bit of pipe. Use one or two of those rat glue flat tray things in the box. The snake will get well stuck ( depends on size I suppose ) take the box to where you want to release it and enpty a cheap bottle of cooking oil on it. Oil softens the glue in about 10 mins and the snake gets out. Any glue left on the snake comes off with the next skin shed.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

This is by far the best advice on the forum.

Over the last 20 years I have had to move a lot of 'visitors'. (No snake catcher where I live.)

If you have to do it yourself, the best weapon is the pool net. Scoop it up and drop the snake somewhere else. This worked with everything except a 4 meter long python, a two meter long monitor lizard and a 3 meter long king cobra. I decided to let them stay until they were bored. Golden Tree snakes (we get lots on Samui) and Wolf snakes. Pick them up and put them somewhere safe.

Absolutely perfect advice :thumbsup:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NE1 said:

I  used a Hessian sack taped to the end of a length of pipe. Laid the open end down facing the snake and he went straight for it.

Then what :cowboy:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dap said:
17 hours ago, NE1 said:

Then what :cowboy:

Put a top on the pipe put him in the back of the truck and release away from peoples house.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When we lived in HK we had a large garden and would see the occasional cobra or rat snake. We left them alone, they left us alone. After we'd been there a few years, a Chinese guy moved in downstairs and proceeded to kill any snake on sight. Within just three months, the place was infested with rats and mice. I preferred the snakes.

• Like 2