English teacher with poor pronunciation sparks online storm

webfact

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

I suggest that she is indicative of the average teachers ability, and completely explains the poor English capability of students here.   

...aided so often by the equally poor English-teaching (and English-speaking) ability of some native-English "teachers" bumming around in Thailand!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

To this day missus still speaks of Sa Pag Het Tee Why

It's because Thai language has implied vowels between consonants, and some consonants get repeated in a word.

They just add the implied vowels into the English consonants and get Sa-pag-het-tee.

If you learn to read Thai what they are doing becomes entirely understandable.

The teacher also had a problem differentiating 'R's and 'L's, would assume her first language Laos as they don't use 'R's much.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

Auditioned by who; someone who can do no better than her no doubt ?  When it comes to English they need proper Native speaking Teachers as their own Thai Teachers are near useless !

I agree 110%. However, the powers that be do not seem prepared to pay sufficient wages to attract native English speakers, which IMHO is very shortsighted. Until they do, there will be loads of teachers like her failing the students in Thailand.

I had to phone a customer service centre in Bangkok yesterday for a large multinational corporation, selecting English on their answering system. Eventually getting through to a young lady who asked for my email address, which I gave her twice. I never received the email. Her English was quite frankly abysmal.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

No ignorance at all. I stated Americans do have accents, as I do,but I speak perfect English and that's why I was asked to teach. I never said my English was better than anyone's , just that it's correct English. Ethnocentricity means my culture is better than another's. I never said that either. Do not correct one's grammar or paragraphing if you don't understand this isn't an English lesson. You separating three sentences shows incorrect grammar. My typing in one somewhat long paragraph doesn't.

Terms like proper, perfect, and correct suggest superiority do they not?

Give it up Fred, your blind spot makes you dull.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, jayboy said:

All Americans have accents.In fact all speakers of English have accents.There are no "correct" accents although there have ben in the past preferred or elite accents which tended to be the accents of the upper classes.Thus in the US the Boston Brahmin and New England accents were in this category. For those with an interest check on Youtube how FDR and his wife Eleanor spoke.

In the UK the equivalent was Received English or Oxford English.This wasn't really spoken only by the posh rich but by most of the educated upper middle class.There were Scottish and Irish versions of Received English which were equally acceptable.In the UK this posh language (the old style BBC Home Service announcers for example) has almost completely gone and even Prince William and Prince Harry speak with a pronounced Estuary (mock Cockney) accent.Actually even Received English was of comparatively recent origin and came into being in the nineteenth century when the sons of the upper middle/upper classes from all over the country were sent to boarding schools like Eton and Harrow.Before that, great regional aristocrats and landowners. spoke with Yorkshire,Lancashire,Welsh accents etc. 

I digress.Here in Thailand the standard of English teaching by Thai nationals in Thai schools is generally abysmal.There are many reasons for this but I would draw attention to just one - why would a decent speaker of English choose the teaching profession when - given the generally poor standard of English in Thailand - there are so many other better paid opportunities? Ideally the vast majority of English speakers should be native speakers but accents do matter.There can be a wide variety but extreme and semi undecipherable accents should be excluded.I'm personally aware of Indian and Filipino teachers of English who struggle to be understood.I'm also aware of Filipino teachers who speak excellently.

I didn't mean that my accent (yes,I do have an American one) was correct, but that my English pronunciation is correct, and that is why I'm wanted at this school. The others there have strong accents and it confuses the students .They ask me which is the correct pronunciation of words because I sound different than the others. I tell them I speak native English and the school owner agrees.

• Like 2

Just now, n00dle said:

Terms like proper, perfect, and correct suggest superiority do they not?

Give it up Fred, your blind spot makes you dull.

No, they suggest the proper pronunciation, something I didn't invent but was taught. Not good to assume.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I didn't mean that my accent (yes,I do have an American one) was correct, but that my English pronunciation is correct,

Doesn't matter, my kids are entirely happy understanding English spoken by Brits or Americans with regional accents.

They laughed their heads off at the Thai English teacher video in this thread ....... sadly they couldn't see it yesterday on the DLTV app because it didn't work ........ DLTV app didn't work today either.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

After spending six weeks going round my 12 year olds class UN=teaching the kids the terrible 'Sup' I am of the opinion that English should be taught by those who speak it. That doesn't include Colonials. We British are taught 'Hello.'

• Confused 3