Retirement Visa expiring whilst outside Thailand

Hello all, this is one for the Retirement Visa experts, asking for a friend.

Scenario: friend been living in TL for 14 years on an RV. He took a trip back to US just before C-19 kicked off and now he can't get back in to TL, obviously. His visa expires in late June. The question is, are any concessions being made for this situation or will he have to come back in on a 30 day stamp and re-apply for retirement visa? I have no idea about any of this so appreciate the help. Cheers

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Unless he can return before his extension ends he will have to start all over again to apply for a new extension of stay.

If he could apply for a single entry non-o visa before returning that would be the best option. If not then enter visa exempt or with a tourist visa.

Thanks man, appreciate the reply

Do not forget the new ruling any farang entering Thailand must have $100,000 health insurance policy which clearly states they are covered against Covid 19 and secondly they must have a medical certificate no older than 72 hours before they fly stating they are clear of the virus . My wife is stuck in the U.K. she tells me these two requirements are impossible to get at the current time if you don’t have them the airlines will not allow you to board if this rule doesn’t change then I will have no option but to call it a day here in Thailand and return to the U.K.  ☹️

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Yes, I was working O/S and got caught out too. My extension expires in mid June. My wife rang someone she knows in immigration and they said I have to start the visa extension process again, once I can re-enter. So start from scratch is the official stance.

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Unless he can return before his extension ends he will have to start all over again to apply for a new extension of stay.

If he could apply for a single entry non-o visa before returning that would be the best option. If not then enter visa exempt or with a tourist visa.

Hi Ubon Joe. My understanding is that people in this situation can enter on this visa after it has expired. Please see the attached file and confirm my understanding. 

3FD255D0-53DE-4103-80EE-D2CF870089F6.jpeg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wmlc said:

Hi Ubon Joe. My understanding is that people in this situation can enter on this visa after it has expired. Please see the attached file and confirm my understanding. 

3FD255D0-53DE-4103-80EE-D2CF870089F6.jpeg

As usual, their wording is quite ambiguous. What's the difference between 'take up residency' and 'temporarily stay'? What is 'border pass'?

Isn't a one-year visa and tourist visa considered 'temporarily stay' too ?

They really should hire somebody who can explain better.

Edited by EricTh

17 minutes ago, wmlc said:

That is only for those that have aquired permanent residency here. People on extensions are not residents here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EricTh said:

What's the difference between 'take up residency' and 'temporarily stay'?

A person of a temporary permit to stay is not a resident. Only those that have applied for and obtained permanent residency are residents.

4 minutes ago, EricTh said:

What is 'border pass'?

A border pass is applied for by those that do not have a passport to enter a neighboring country. For example Thais can get one to enter Laos for 3 days and Laotians can get one to enter Thailand for 3 days.

• Thanks 1

I had to restart retirement visa extension and thought could enter on 30 day and convert to non imm. Only issue was the 800k in the bank must come from abroad when first extension is applied. I had been extending for years using the same bank deposit brought in 12 years ago. As I have changed accounts etc I could not easily prove overseas transfer. I was told to either bring 800k in or send the money in the bank out and back in again. I also was given a third option of paying 15k to get this sorted out. I opted for this!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, poosmate said:

Only issue was the 800k in the bank must come from abroad .........

That is to obtain non o (retirement) at immigration inside Thailand.  If non o is obtained at a consulate eg Vientiane, the 800k does not need to shown came from abroad.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

That is to obtain non o (retirement) at immigration inside Thailand.  If non o is obtained at a consulate eg Vientiane, the 800k does not need to shown came from abroad.

Immigration can and will waive that requirement if the 800k baht has been in the bank for a long time.

He was applying at a corrupt immigration office which was the problem in his case.

• Like 1

I forgot to add I was also offered to go back out of Thailand and obtain non imm.

My mistake was to come back only on a 30 day waiver. I was in Australia and it was going to take too long to obtain (FNQ).

I tried to get my bank letter accepted as it was backed by all deposit books going back more than 10 years but was told no at Hua Hin. In my situation 15k was the cheapest option.

4 hours ago, poosmate said:

I also was given a third option of paying 15k to get this sorted out. I opted for this!

Bet this was NOT at Chaeng Wattana. My read is that IO may well view those on extensions which have been alloed to expire overseas due to Covid with some flexibility.

• Confused 1

Best option is to apply for a non immigrant O visa from Embassy. He will get a 3 months visa and once in Thailand he can apply for retirement visa and he will be given additional 12 months visa. So he will have total of 15 months visa. Good luck

10 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Do not forget the new ruling any farang entering Thailand must have $100,000 health insurance policy which clearly states they are covered against Covid 19 and secondly they must have a medical certificate no older than 72 hours before they fly stating they are clear of the virus . My wife is stuck in the U.K. she tells me these two requirements are impossible to get at the current time if you don’t have them the airlines will not allow you to board if this rule doesn’t change then I will have no option but to call it a day here in Thailand and return to the U.K.  ☹️

THB 100,000 in outpatient coverage only. And it must be Thailand compliant, and only Thai insurers are compliant (various certifications required that international insurers can't or won't)

19 hours ago, Bangkok Basha said:

THB 100,000 in outpatient coverage only. And it must be Thailand compliant, and only Thai insurers are compliant (various certifications required that international insurers can't or won't)

Are you mixing up two separate things there ??? O-A/O-X insurance vis a vis Covid Insurance ??