Thailand has no foreign tourists in April as borders closed

snoop1130

Thailand has no foreign tourists in April as borders closed

airport-taxi18032020.jpg

BANGKOK, May 29 (Reuters) - Thailand recorded zero foreign tourists in April after it closed borders and banned international passenger flights to try to curb the spread of the coronavirus.

In April last year, there were about 3.2 million foreign tourists who spent about 146 billion baht ($4.59 billion), according to a tourism ministry statement.

The tourism-reliant country has extended a ban on incoming passenger flights, imposed in April, to the end of June to limit the outbreak, which has infected 3,076 people in the country.

The state planning agency predicts the number of foreign arrivals will plunge to 12.7 million this year from a record 39.8 million last year.

In the January-March period, foreign tourist numbers in Thailand slumped 38% to 6.69 million, with the number of Chinese visitors, Thailand’s biggest source of tourists, tumbling 60% to 1.25 million.

Tourism is a key driver of Thai growth, with foreign tourist receipts accounting for 11% of gross domestic product last year.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-29

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

12.7/39.8*11% = ~3.5% out of GDP. That's gotta hurt.

I would expect an increase in domestic tourism to compensate for some of that, as I recall that's valued at THB 260 bill. 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Trillian said:

I would expect an increase in domestic tourism to compensate for some of that, as I recall that's valued at THB 260 bill. 

Yes, Hence the government funding 50% discount on hotel rooms.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dblh said:

12.7 mil estimation, 39.8 last year. Its not 3.5%, its 7.5% loss of income.
(39.8-12.7)/39.8*11%

Brutal

Ah yes you're correct, I didn't pay attention when I whipped up my calc. That is really brutal.

2 hours ago, Susco said:

I wonder who they were addressing then when they put up these signs today in Big C

IMG_20200529_175617.thumb.jpg.b1b0c11377a889661524d33122ee766c.jpg

Have to be clean as a foreign tourist or else you will be called a dirty foreigner.  Maybe they should double the VAT refund, but then would it really frickings matter...

So the leading indicator after they open the borders to foreigners, is whats happening in those countries domestic air travel.

I work in the airline business, and currently I see maybe (at best) 5% of passengers we would normally see this time of year, and we're not an international station so it's all domestic.

So how quick people feel comfortable with air travel remains to be seen

But until I see an uptick in folks wanting to spend 50 mins on a plane to Denver, I wouldn't be holding my breath on how many want to spend hours on a plane to BKK.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The state planning agency predicts the number of foreign arrivals will plunge to 12.7 million this year from a record 39.8 million last year.

Even Mallorca Island in Spain has 14 million arrivals every year....This isn't good for Thailand at all.

11% of GDP?

I think it's more likely to be 40% of GDP judging by the long line of people waiting for their free food everyday.

I think the statistics department is getting the wrong figures because most Thai in the tourism industry don't report their full income to the government.

Taxis who don't use the meters, 'tips' for massage places etc.

Edited by EricTh

If I understand it correctly, 11% GDP is what the government cares about because here taxes are being paid.

The freelancers, people who do not pay taxes: I do not think the government has any interest in them so the official GDP sounds what is realistic and they care about. I know you will say people starve and have no livelihood - but still, the government has different priorities I think.

• Thanks 1