Thailand prepares for discreet reopening of tourism industry

rooster59

48 minutes ago, Anton9 said:

Hospitals are empty, I don't see how this is still to be considered an emergency in Europe.

It means just need to be a little bit careful to keep numbers low.

Thailand decided to not tolerate even 1 positive case, it will be harder for them to open up the country.

Hospitals are empty in Europe and the USA... some hospitals even talked about laying off staff as there was no business in April and early May. 

Initially, we wanted to flatten the curve to protect hospital capacity - then, for some reason, in many countries it turned into preventing every infection and death, which is absolutely not realistic.  

We have had mass protests in many US cities for more than 10 days - no distancing, many without masks; people screaming etc.  Based on the "expert opinion" before the protests started, the sky will be falling sometime next week (and in Europe as well)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Anton9 said:

I wonder how many people have died/will die because of all those draconian measures.

Lockdowns in third world countries seems madness to me.

In some third world countries this was a trial-run by the governments to see how they can ensure that there are no demonstrations against the regime.  Just scare people enough with an "unseen enemy" and the majority stays home - anyone calling for protests would not have a lot of backing; so it is easier to suppress.

It worked perfectly - even in most first world countries a majority of people is "happy" with the government taking these measures to protect them and dissenting opinions are pushed down on social media, TV, newspapers etc.  I doubt that there will ever be a true post-mortem analysis.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

So is their an agreement between countries to determine how a country would qualify to be in the bubble gang? Who decides what constitutes membership? Will there be bubble gang badges. ????

Option one: a country desperate for tourist money unilaterally lets some people come in.  Greece did that,  they chose 29 countries with not too much infections (UK, US, Sweden not allowed) and direct flights to Greece. 

They may hope for reciprocity.  Italy is pisse_d off because they let Austrians in but Austria still doesn't allow Italians in. 

Option 2: bilateral agreements,  mostly based on reciprocity. Takes for ages.

NZ (virus-free) and Australia still haven't figured out whether Australians can go to NZ at a time when Australia is not yet virus-free.

Japan (not virus-free) suggested this to Taiwan (virus-free). But Taiwan still doesn't let Japanese in.  So Japan doesn't let Taiwanese in,  either - even Taiwan is virus-free, so Taiwanese cannot bring virus to Japan. 

Edited by uhuh

46 minutes ago, Miami007 said:

why only 1 year?  what will happen in 1 year?  Forget the vaccine, my friend,  there has NEVER been a vaccine against a human coronavirus so far (only for cats).  The QUICKEST vaccine development until now was 4 years.  Does anyone believe that scientists are able to do what they have never done before in 25% of the time it took for the fastest development - and still come up with a vaccine that is effective and safe. 

Based on that logic, close the borders forever.

Oxford University labs have a vaccine that has proved effective, it is is in human trials already. 

11 minutes ago, uhuh said:

Option one: a country desperate for tourist money unilaterally lets some people come in.  Greece did that,  they chose 29 countries with not too much infections (UK, US, Sweden not allowed) and direct flights to Greece. 

They may hope for reciprocity.  Italy is pisse_d off because they let Austrians in but Austria still doesn't allow Italians in. 

Option 2: bilateral agreements,  mostly based on reciprocity. Takes for ages.

NZ (virus-free) and Australia still haven't figured out whether Australians can go to NZ at a time when Australia is not yet virus-free.

Japan (not virus-free) suggested this to Taiwan (virus-free). But Taiwan still doesn't let Japanese in.  So Japan doesn't let Taiwanese in,  either - even Taiwan is virus-free, so Taiwanese cannot bring virus to Japan. 

Its all a nonsense way to manage this if you ask me. The liklehood is that the coronavirus is with us forever and we will hopefully have a vaccine sometime soon. So I think the world is going to have to get used to the risk associated with the virus, especially should a virus become widespread because no vaccine is 100% guaranteed. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Miami007 said:

In some third world countries this was a trial-run by the governments to see how they can ensure that there are no demonstrations against the regime.  Just scare people enough with an "unseen enemy" and the majority stays home - anyone calling for protests would not have a lot of backing; so it is easier to suppress.

It worked perfectly - even in most first world countries a majority of people is "happy" with the government taking these measures to protect them and dissenting opinions are pushed down on social media, TV, newspapers etc.  I doubt that there will ever be a true post-mortem analysis.

I think the majority of people show understanding in the initial stages, however as time goes on people get restless and they just want this over. I have spoken t many of my friends and they have said quite openly they will take their chances and just get back to work and back into a life again.. I think as the lockdowns start to ease the governments will lose control of the speed of that they wish to open up society again.. we will see.

Just now, Solidpoo said:

If it wasnt for my thai partner i would never ever go to thailand more than once. Wouldnt even pop up in my list of places to visit for a relaxing holiday

I still don't understand why anyone would head there for a holiday. Not exactly cheap, corruption, everyone's constantly trying to scam you, bloody hot weather, polluted, dirty, loud, high risk of dying on the road.. list goes on.

It wasn't always quite so, the corruption and greed has taken over. Thailand needs to go through some reinvention, they were struggling with tourists prior to the virus so if they were going to do something now is the time.. By the way I lived and worked there for around 7 years until very recently, I frequented the country for business trips for many years prior to that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, andre47 said:

Thailand has already a list with countries of low risk.

China with Hong Kong and Macau
South Korea

maybe they will add

Taiwan
Australia
New Zealand
Vietnam

Europe and USA for sure not, they are still high risk areas and this probably will not change until we have a vaccine

Okay assuming that they add New Zealand and Australia, there probably will not be flights available ,and if there are they will be expensive , then if you manage to get to Thailand you will probably have to go into quarantine when you return .Nz and Australia are not going to allow their people to travel at will to Los when covid19 countries like China that the virus originated from are flooding through Thailand’s borders.It would be senseless said Scot Morrison and Jacinda Adern would Agee .

19 hours ago, andre47 said:

Thailand has already a list with countries of low risk.

China with Hong Kong and Macau
South Korea

maybe they will add

Taiwan
Australia
New Zealand
Vietnam

Europe and USA for sure not, they are still high risk areas and this probably will not change until we have a vaccine

Huh China ?? They started this pestilence. They should all be quarantined for 14 days. Also, they must sign a document that they will spend up big when they get here. Hhahahha that's a joke.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

Its all a nonsense way to manage this if you ask me. The liklehood is that the coronavirus is with us forever and we will hopefully have a vaccine sometime soon. So I think the world is going to have to get used to the risk associated with the virus, especially should a virus become widespread because no vaccine is 100% guaranteed. 

Yes agree. C-19 will eventually become like a dose of the flu. Like we now regard H1N1 & H1N2. Hopefully a vaccine soon so we can reasonably move on in life.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JCP108 said:

I agree that I don't want to simply wait for a vaccine. For one, it may never come. Also, vaccines aren't 100% effective anyway. I must return to the U.S. shortly to deal with some family stuff. I don't want to wait for a vaccine in order to return here. At this point, not sure how/when/if I will return here. But, U.S. policies are getting more restrictive about bringing citizens of other countries in. So, not hopeful I can get my Thai wife there easily if I do get stuck there. Her U.S. visa before we were married took 14 months from start to finish and it had no unusual complications.

Antibody tests are not without issues, though:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-covid-19-antibody-tests-can-and-cannot-tell-us/

And how are you flying back to the US at this time?  I have a family in Chiang Mai that I am contemplating bringing to the US for the summer months since there is no way I will be let in until who knows how long.

4 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

And how are you flying back to the US at this time?  I have a family in Chiang Mai that I am contemplating bringing to the US for the summer months since there is no way I will be let in until who knows how long.

I haven't bought a ticket as I am still working out all the complicated aspects of the decision to travel. I do see that there are multiple airlines flying from BKK to the U.S. Prices aren't bad, either. 

Bubbles is just code for 'please come chinese people'. 

Let's face no Thai's are heading to China for tourism (unless to work). 

As it stands, Thai economy relies nearly 25-30% on tourism (direct and indirectly). No country can sustain that level of drop in GDP, so they will have to open up. 

Questions :

1) Is China actually safe? Can you trust their numbers? 

2) Would the Chinese even let tourists out on mass to visit the world, especially solely for tourism, and risk bringing back problems. The Chinese don't rely on tourism.

3) Will the Chinese actually want to travel ? 

Testing on arrival, quarantine programmes will have to be introduced. 

You simply can't ban everyone from the USA, Europe the worlds biggest economies from visiting Thailand - especially on business. 

Edited by AndrewMciver
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 8:12 PM, JCP108 said:

Several of us have predicted in here that, soon, Chinese tourists will be able to come here without the quarantine requirement while the rest of us will have to comply. It's coming to fruition. 

I bet they will allow Australia and New Zealand. But definitely not to USA and UK countries that are cell pool of desease and deaths.

Furthermore Bubbles make little sense.

Let's say Thailand opens up to South Korea and Japan.

South Korea 100% will be in a rush to open to the USA, as it is heavily reliant on them for security and business. Same with Japan. 

So Thailand ban USA, but open up South Korea and Japan, who are allowing USA numbers in to visit. 

So South Korea and Japan are full of Americans. If they are bringing the virus with them then it will circulate. Yet Koreans free to go to Thailand. 

Bubbles aren't that easy. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, DaLa said:

Planning a trip to Vietnam as I believe they should be on the list of acceptable countries.   Then on my return to Thailand at immigration...

I.O.   So where have you been sir?

Me   Well, I'd prefer to not say as it could be deemed to be offensive.

I.O   It's ok you can tell me

Me   Well I prefer not as it could be seen that I'm attempting to gain advantage.

I.O   Oh, I see you being discreet

Me   Yes, that's correct

I.O.  I accept that, but now can you tell me where you will be staying in Thailand?

Me  Well again, I really don't want to disclose that..

Should work out Ok , you think?

I.O---pass-saa-poor(t)..studies..shuffle-shuffle-shuffle thru pages-throws it back--u stay thailand too mutt!

6 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Show the article please if that is fact I like to be wrong.

Just check the daily breafing, there"s been no Thai coming back from UK found to be infected.

It was anyway been reported the usual scaremongering propaganda of "people with high fever rushed to hospital" OMG we are all gonna die.

7 hours ago, JCP108 said:

I haven't bought a ticket as I am still working out all the complicated aspects of the decision to travel. I do see that there are multiple airlines flying from BKK to the U.S. Prices aren't bad, either. 

Korean and Asiana airlines via Soeul are options (no quarantine in Seoul if only transitting). Asiana has better prices.

But any Thais coming need to be prepared for mandatory quarantine on return and of course expats can't return period for the forseeable future. 

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Korean and Asiana airlines via Soeul are options (no quarantine in Seoul if only transitting). Asiana has better prices.

But any Thais coming need to be prepared for mandatory quarantine on return and of course expats can't return period for the forseeable future. 

I have credit with ANA but have to find out how transit is handled in Tokyo. I prefer to not fly via Seoul if I can avoid it as that would mean one very long flight from there to the U.S. Tokyo to Chicago is only 12 hours compared to 15-16 from S. Korea to Chicago. 

7 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

I have credit with ANA but have to find out how transit is handled in Tokyo. I prefer to not fly via Seoul if I can avoid it as that would mean one very long flight from there to the U.S. Tokyo to Chicago is only 12 hours compared to 15-16 from S. Korea to Chicago. 

According to email update from US Embassy in Bkk the ANA routing requires a change of airport which Jaoan will not allow so not currently an option. 

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

According to email update from US Embassy in Bkk the ANA routing requires a change of airport which Jaoan will not allow so not currently an option. 

Right. I knew about that part. Spoke with someone at ANA and there are routes that transit in the same airport avoiding that issue.