Thailand prepares for discreet reopening of tourism industry

rooster59

10 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Hong Kong, Vietnam....

Eliminate Canada. They were hit hard. Add China no doubt, as it appears well under control. Then Norway, Estonia, Finland and Slovenia. Alot of tourists! 

It will be quite some time for tourism to rebound where. Time for us to take advantage and plan alot of domestic travel!

47 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I wonder if it is based on passport or residence.  I need to travel to Thailand in September/November, have a US passport for have been living in the Philippines.

I want to travel to Philippines but now staying in Thailand, wonder when it will be possible.

It seems Philippines keep having a lot of cases even though they had a super strict lockdown.

11 hours ago, steve187 said:

so what are the countries that have lots of potential travelers that fit this description

edit New Zealand springs to mind

Whats that island in the Indian Ocean called, you know the one with 109 inhabitants and Covid free

• Haha 2

The first visitors will be from "meetings, incentive, conventions and events" ... Thailand would be unique in the world as this segment will be the last to recover - due to distancing requirements that will remain in place and the hesitation of consumers to participate in large gatherings in close proximity.

Shows how much politicians understand the business they are supposed to be leading 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gamini said:

I don't like a military government but they've done a good job. I'm glad I don't live in the UK which has the highest number of deaths per capita in the world with a government that's completely bungled everything regarding the pandemic.

Again and again people blinded by the actions of authoritarian governments. FYI, Belgium is highest per capita, Sweden isn't far off, but don't let that spoil your agenda. I'm also glad you don't live in the UK as there is already enough sensationalist claptrap.

Whatever, regards opening up to tourism, what's the point if beaches, restaurants and bars aren't fully open?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I too had this prediction - I can't really criticise such a decision - Permitting quarantine entry of tourists from those nations with low numbers is the only viable compromise in attempting to keep Covid-19 levels low and kick-starting the vital tourist industry.

Unfortunately, this doesn't assist those of use from Western nations who are either outside of of Thailand *(unable to enter) at the moment or those Westerners currently in Thailand who need to travel for work.

I see a fairly turbulent 12 months ahead (perhaps longer) with regards to freedom of travel into Thailand with a great deal of inconsistency in policy and restrictions according to your passport.

So you say it is a good idea to discriminate against a healthy person from UK or Germany because of their passport or residence. 

But it is ok to allow an asymptomatic carrier from a country with low rates into Thailand?

That doesn't help at all.

Testing is the only option to allow healthy in and keep sick out.

Btw, Thailand allowed Chinese all January and February and still not many cases? But not much testing in Thailand either

• Like 2

Ok I get its pretty obvious that all countries with little to low infections of C-19 could travel in a bubble and just as obvious that high rates would absolutely have to Quarantine if even be allowed at all , I’m Stuck in the UK and although desperate to get back to my family life in Thailand, I am glad even if not happy that we are locked out at this time as the death rates caused by a this world population Cull created in a lab then allowed to spread throughout the world , so here I am in the UK ???????? watching mis management, bad advice , muppet government, top advisers telling me to stay at home then they drive 60 miles to go on a pick nic and another 200miles to visit elderly relatives all while testing his eyesight- the UK deserves to be last because we are the worst . The WHO needs breaking up it did not protect anyone from China virus give misleading nonsense advice ( more muppets)

someone said on this group that we will possibly be stuck in UK until a vaccine is found.. well it doesn’t have to be that way.. why haven’t the British government realised the millions of antibodies tests they bought months ago? They claim it’s because not accurate enough.. wait a minute it’s as accurate as any DNA test .. I see those tests kits selling on black market for £100s to Executives only .. mmm what a surprise there (not)

if only we could all be tested and what if we had it already and get the paperwork showing we have pos antibodies thus little to none threat , you could have “Green flights” from the UK, in packed planes full of re pats who invest in families just like I do .. that test would be 100% a game changer! 

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Anton9 said:

Vietnam has already football matches with thousands of spectators and many people are not wearing masks.

Domestic air travel is already fully operating while I can't even swim in my condo pool.

Better check again. Pools opened up this last week in Bangkok. Been swimming since last Monday in my condominium 

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, flyingfox1 said:

Ok I get its pretty obvious that all countries with little to low infections of C-19 could travel in a bubble and just as obvious that high rates would absolutely have to Quarantine if even be allowed at all , I’m Stuck in the UK and although desperate to get back to my family life in Thailand, I am glad even if not happy that we are locked out at this time as the death rates caused by a this world population Cull created in a lab then allowed to spread throughout the world , so here I am in the UK ???????? watching mis management, bad advice , muppet government, top advisers telling me to stay at home then they drive 60 miles to go on a pick nic and another 200miles to visit elderly relatives all while testing his eyesight- the UK deserves to be last because we are the worst . The WHO needs breaking up it did not protect anyone from China virus give misleading nonsense advice ( more muppets)

someone said on this group that we will possibly be stuck in UK until a vaccine is found.. well it doesn’t have to be that way.. why haven’t the British government realised the millions of antibodies tests they bought months ago? They claim it’s because not accurate enough.. wait a minute it’s as accurate as any DNA test .. I see those tests kits selling on black market for £100s to Executives only .. mmm what a surprise there (not)

if only we could all be tested and what if we had it already and get the paperwork showing we have pos antibodies thus little to none threat , you could have “Green flights” from the UK, in packed planes full of re pats who invest in families just like I do .. that test would be 100% a game changer! 

I agree that I don't want to simply wait for a vaccine. For one, it may never come. Also, vaccines aren't 100% effective anyway. I must return to the U.S. shortly to deal with some family stuff. I don't want to wait for a vaccine in order to return here. At this point, not sure how/when/if I will return here. But, U.S. policies are getting more restrictive about bringing citizens of other countries in. So, not hopeful I can get my Thai wife there easily if I do get stuck there. Her U.S. visa before we were married took 14 months from start to finish and it had no unusual complications.

Antibody tests are not without issues, though:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-covid-19-antibody-tests-can-and-cannot-tell-us/

2 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

I wonder if it is based on passport or residence.  I need to travel to Thailand in September/November, have a US passport for have been living in the Philippines.

To base it on passport only would be nonsensical. You could have a Chinese guy living in Brazil just saunter in.

I would imagine the country you have been residing in will be the determining factor.

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"Travel bubble" is a post-Covid-19 era term in the tourism industry, suggesting match-making between countries

What we want is Filthy Farang allowed back in to visit reopened soapy bubble for match-making with massuese.

23 minutes ago, mockingbird said:

To base it on passport only would be nonsensical. You could have a Chinese guy living in Brazil just saunter in.

I would imagine the country you have been residing in will be the determining factor.

It would. And, it happens. People posted that very thing when the travel restrictions in Thailand started to unfold here earlier this year. Even though people had been in places different from their passport country for a long time, it happened that they were treated as coming from that place and restricted. 

To fit discreet you got to lie or hide is a bet????ter word your numbers like China, Malaysia, Cambodia, S.Korea, Japan? Didn't many of these countries just allow Thais to come back and we got on a short flight passengers with high fever? I guess if you freely admit your numbers you go to the back of the bubble?

6 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

It would. And, it happens. People posted that very thing when the travel restrictions in Thailand started to unfold here earlier this year. Even though people had been in places different from their passport country for a long time, it happened that they were treated as coming from that place and restricted. 

Sadly true. Back in March they refused all Italians based on passport, not origin. I really hope they base it on origin and not passport going forward, but they're not known to be great thinkers...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

To fit discreet you got to lie or hide is a bet????ter word your numbers like China, Malaysia, Cambodia, S.Korea, Japan? Didn't many of these countries just allow Thais to come back and we got on a short flight passengers with high fever? I guess if you freely admit your numbers you go to the back of the bubble?

How many of passengers with high fever had Covid? Zero

Let's see? Where did the Wuhan virus come from? Isn't Wuhan in China. Second point...is the Thai government so naive as to believe ANYTHING that the CCP tell them? How welcoming will the average Thai be toward the Chinese tourists? Most Thais never cared much for them even before the Wuhan Virus arrived....idiots all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anton9 said:

I want to travel to Philippines but now staying in Thailand, wonder when it will be possible.

It seems Philippines keep having a lot of cases even though they had a super strict lockdown.

Not "had" but "have" a super strict lockdown.  110,000,000 population 1010 deaths, so a significant count but not overwhelming.  I do trust the official numbers hear more than in Thailand.  The Philippines is not so concerned about tourism as LOS is, even though the Philippines did have a higher percentage of tourists from China and Korea.  Additionally, the Philippines has a huge number of overseas workers.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Not "had" but "have" a super strict lockdown.  110,000,000 population 1010 deaths, so a significant count but not overwhelming.  I do trust the official numbers hear more than in Thailand.  The Philippines is not so concerned about tourism as LOS is, even though the Philippines did have a higher percentage of tourists from China and Korea.  Additionally, the Philippines has a huge number of overseas workers.  

I wonder how many people have died/will die because of all those draconian measures.

Lockdowns in third world countries seems madness to me.

Edited by Anton9
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JCP108 said:

if only we could all be tested and what if we had it already and get the paperwork showing we have pos antibodies thus little to none threat

Although it seems to make sense that antibodies do protect, but it has yet to be proven.  I know that research is being done but the results are not in yet.  It takes time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anton9 said:

I wonder how many people have died/will die because of all those draconian measures.

I know that people are postponing normal medical checks.  I just got my flu shot last week (normal time in the Philippines is through June) and was told that very few are doing it this year.  Also, from personal experience, my diet is going to hell. In what other ways do you think people will die due to the lockdowns? In Thailand probably thousands of people did not die simply because they were not driving.

11 hours ago, andre47 said:

I think coffee will not be strong enough...

May i suggest Irish Coffee . 

That said, they won't be seeing me in Land of Smiles?, for a long time ..

Edited by elliss
spelling