Thai Airways asks German, Swiss courts for asset protection

snoop1130

Thai Airways asks German, Swiss courts for asset protection

2020-06-09T105427Z_1_LYNXMPEG580T8_RTROPTP_4_THAI-AIRWAYS-RESCUE.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A Thai Airways Boeing 777-300 airplane approaches to land at Changi International Airport in Singapore June 10, 2018. REUTERS/Tim Chong

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thai Airways <THAI.BK> has asked German and Swiss courts to protect its planes, deposit accounts and other assets overseas from creditors, a government spokeswoman said.

The airline, which is under bankruptcy court protection in Thailand, will seek the same recognition from courts in other countries, including Japan and the United States, Naruemon Pinyosinwat told reporters on Tuesday.

A legal adviser to Thai Airways, which will have a first hearing on Aug. 17, has said the timeframe for its rehabilitation may be up to seven years.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-06-09

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, rasmus5150 said:

Flying out of here with TG on Aug 1.

Fingers crossed...... ????

Is that the flight where all cabin services are self-service?

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, scorecard said:

So:

- Be ready for the whip around for passengers to donate to pay cash on the spot for the fuel.

Not the first time for that to happen !!

An airline is set to investigate reports that it asked passengers to pay £20,000 towards the cost of fuel to complete their journey to the UK.

Passengers said they were asked for the money when a flight with Austrian airline Comtel Air from Amritsar in India stopped in Vienna to refuel.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-15762127

Anyone remember Dan-Air?

I  was on a holiday flight returning to Stansted from Corfu after a 5 hour delay, when the plane landed at Sofia and the captain said he had to refuel (using his personal credit card). He apologised for the delay, also the unscheduled stop and said all drinks were now free on the flight until the plane was drunk empty! 

If I remember correctly, Dan-Air was sold to British Airways for a £1 nominal fee shortly afterwards.

Dan-Air: affectionally known as Dan-Dare as you had to be mad to fly with them!

53 minutes ago, Madgee said:

Anyone remember Dan-Air?

I  was on a holiday flight returning to Stansted from Corfu after a 5 hour delay, when the plane landed at Sofia and the captain said he had to refuel (using his personal credit card). He apologised for the delay, also the unscheduled stop and said all drinks were now free on the flight until the plane was drunk empty! 

If I remember correctly, Dan-Air was sold to British Airways for a £1 nominal fee shortly afterwards.

Dan-Air: affectionally known as Dan-Dare as you had to be mad to fly with them!

Used to know an alcoholic pilot with Dan Air, a relative of the wife!

22 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I flew Gatwick to Malta with them

Decades back I had to urgently fly from Hong Kong to Mumbai, ended up on an Air-India flight.

Many passengers (99% Indian folks) came on board with washing machines, small fridges etc., not challenged. The passengers took their seats then straddled the appliance boxes across the arm rests. Other passengers held their food trays so they could etc. Also numerous full size suitcases in the galleys and in the aisles.

During the flight an Indian family sat in the aisle and took out meat, vegies etc., and a small pump up primus stove which they duly lit and started to cook.

Air steward came and told them angrily to put out the flame and pack it up.

When the flame was out the steward tried to take the stove away but was stooped by other passengers. They all had the same comment 'leave them alone, they have to eat'. 

Never ever flew Air India again.

Edited by scorecard
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

including Japan and the United States,

Ah, German, Swiss, Japanese and US ... ????   they owe mucho dinero in lots of places.  Good luck, Thai Airways, convincing them not to seize assets for non payment. 

"seeking bankruptcy protection ... before negotiating with creditors"

I believe this is only a temporary stay to a creditor forced liquidation. So maybe a stay until January 2021 that would allow THAI to continue to operate on a limited basis while it negotiates its debts. THAI will not get a 6 year stay.

Without the protection the foreign based creditors can begin asset seizures. Including intangible assets such as airport gate access rights to a creditor's foreign airport, ie., in Germany.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Decades back I had to urgently fly from Hong Kong to Mumbai, ended up on an Air-India flight.

Many passengers (99% Indian folks) came on board with washing machines, small fridges etc., not challenged. The passengers took their seats then straddled the appliance boxes across the arm rests. Other passengers held their food trays so they could etc. Also numerous full size suitcases in the galleys and in the aisles.

During the flight an Indian family sat in the aisle and took out meat, vegies etc., and a small pump up primus stove which they duly lit and started to cook.

Air steward came and told them angrily to put out the flame and pack it up.

When the flame was out the steward tried to take the stove away but was stooped by other passengers. They all had the same comment 'leave them alone, they have to eat'. 

Never ever flew Air India again.

Indian Airlines even worse I flew Goa to Sharjah in the UAE as I needed to get to Dubai even business class was a slum I didn't use the return ticket I binned it and flew from Dubai to Mumbai and then down to Goa 

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

protect its planes

why does it say: IT's planes (as owned by THAI???)

look up: 

https://www.google.com/search?q=who+does+THAI+lease+airplanes+from

Thai Airways International (THAI) may lease aircraft along with cabin staff as part of fleet and service improvement options, according to Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob. The national carrier plans to procure 38 planes with its budget of 156 billion baht.Jan 23, 2020