If You Suddenly Became Rich and Wanted to Travel.

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

French taxes are quite high (and based on worldwide assets), not many wealthy people would choose to have a house there.

A few friends of mine live there and like the lifestyle (never mentioned tax though), still if I was wealthy I either, 1). Wouldn't worry me, or 2). Find a way to lessen them......

Really rich you said..? so if really... really rich I would go live any Caribbean island ….as I would not be to  far from where that really rich money would be stored ….and it is a nice nature site i guess , and I like chocolate color lady's ????

Edited by david555
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

Hi Geordie.. I don't tend to watch travel vids but just saw one on Machu... get up at 4 am for the bus to the gate... though busses don't leave until 5:30 there are long lines... the fellow arrived first so he could get a few shots w/o the place being mobbed... then the fog rolled in... 

anyway, it did not look like a lot of fun... the world is overcrowded.. 

Yes, I am very pleased I did all my traveling while I was a lot younger,

long before the Chinese and others got passports,many places I don't

think I would like to return to.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

On 6/12/2020 at 2:59 PM, bkk6060 said:

Suddenly became rich for that?

Gosh, I can only assume you must be poor?

Fly their, rent car, and drive.

Probably about a $3,000 to $4,000 trip to have a very good time from most places in the world.  Not exactly a rich man's tour.

Private jet from Bangkok to Phuket (4 people) is about US$6000 each way.   

If you are rich that is how you travel.

3 hours ago, thequietman said:

This my Honest answer, and I have often pondered over this thought.

If I became rich, I would use the money to help the less fortunate people in my village and surrounding villages.

It would be done anonymously, and I would spend my time figuring out who really needs help and who doesn't. I have seen families struggling for the 15 years that I have been here, and I can only help a little bit.

I would travel home to see family more regularly, but other than that, I would use the money to help the people here. I hope this doesn't sound too goody goody, but it is my honest answer. ????

Great answer. Done some stuff myself in the past. No amount of money can buy the feel good factor of helping others imo. 

Personally I would also still want to spend some time travelling the world to see where I would finally want to stay. Likely that I would travel for the rest of my days deciding. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 3:04 PM, Pilotman said:

I would stay right where I am.   I couldn't face an airport experience right now, even travelling First Class.  No, I'm fine here, for now and probably for a long time yet.  

I am pretty rich but havent left Thailand for 12 years. Love the place, love the people, love the food. Air travel nowadays is a real hassle. Most of the nice places I used to visit are crammed with pushing and shoving tourists .

• Like 2

Europe's on my bucket list, and I'll be going there anyway, so that's a start. Then hunting Africa, New Zealand and back to Canada again. Catch a huge Marlin in the Caribbean, then fish Costa Rica, Hawaii, off Australia for a White Shark, the Amazon for Peacock Bass, Piranha and others. Climb a volcano in Malaysia (bucket list), Iceland, Japan, Korea, The Great Wall, India, The Middle East's holy grounds, and a sail around the world.

The OP didn't quantify what "rich" means.  Very few of the replies have had a broad-enough vision of how they would spend "riches".  I found the original question interesting, because, apparently, so many lottery-winners commit suicide after a while, or lose all of their money in short order, and psychologists believe it is because they had never planned, in advance, how they would meaningfully spend such largesse, and it became too much for them once they had those winnings in their hands.  One old couple who won a fortune were asked what they were going to spend it on, I remember.  They were going to buy a new Ford "something", and bicycles for their grandchildren!

With my sudden riches:

I would recreate an overland trip through Africa which I undertook in 1967, age 22, from Alexandria to Zimbabwe (Rhodesia), but in style.  Back then, I hitch-hiked, pretty much roughed it the whole way

.  In retrospect, it was difficult, but, back then, I enjoyed every moment.  I guess I would be disappointed, though, at how much places like Cairo, Luxor, Wadi Halfa, Khartoum, Omdurman, Addis Ababa, Asmara, Nairobi, Dar-es-Salaam, Livingstone and Victoria Falls have changed.

I would meet my elder sister to visit the Great Wall, and treat her to the most lavish hotels, meals and experiences possible, as the Wall is a lifelong dream of hers.

I would refurbish a Sunderland flying boat, and recreate the luxurious flights and stop-overs that Imperial Airways used to offer before the start of World War 2.  When I had had my fill, I would continue to run the experiences as a "business".

5 minutes ago, allanos said:

would refurbish a Sunderland flying boat, and recreate the luxurious flights and stop-overs that Imperial Airways used to offer before the start of World War 2.  When I had had my fill, I would continue to run the experiences as a "business".

This would probably put you in the same position as the 'lottery suicides'.

It's a bad idea that could only lose a lot of money very quickly.

On 6/12/2020 at 2:59 PM, bkk6060 said:

Suddenly became rich for that?

Gosh, I can only assume you must be poor?

Fly their, rent car, and drive.

Probably about a $3,000 to $4,000 trip to have a very good time from most places in the world.  Not exactly a rich man's tour.

There's always a negative a..hole on here. Don't you get tired of it?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

This would probably put you in the same position as the 'lottery suicides'.

It's a bad idea that could only lose a lot of money very quickly.

I have factored that in.  If I was rich, I would grin and bear it.  I'm a pretty equable kind of person, no hang-ups about previous marriages, etc.

47 minutes ago, allanos said:

The OP didn't quantify what "rich" means.  Very few of the replies have had a broad-enough vision of how they would spend "riches".  I found the original question interesting, because, apparently, so many lottery-winners commit suicide after a while, or lose all of their money in short order, and psychologists believe it is because they had never planned, in advance, how they would meaningfully spend such largesse, and it became too much for them once they had those winnings in their hands.  One old couple who won a fortune were asked what they were going to spend it on, I remember.  They were going to buy a new Ford "something", and bicycles for their grandchildren!

With my sudden riches:

I would recreate an overland trip through Africa which I undertook in 1967, age 22, from Alexandria to Zimbabwe (Rhodesia), but in style.  Back then, I hitch-hiked, pretty much roughed it the whole way

.  In retrospect, it was difficult, but, back then, I enjoyed every moment.  I guess I would be disappointed, though, at how much places like Cairo, Luxor, Wadi Halfa, Khartoum, Omdurman, Addis Ababa, Asmara, Nairobi, Dar-es-Salaam, Livingstone and Victoria Falls have changed.

I would meet my elder sister to visit the Great Wall, and treat her to the most lavish hotels, meals and experiences possible, as the Wall is a lifelong dream of hers.

I would refurbish a Sunderland flying boat, and recreate the luxurious flights and stop-overs that Imperial Airways used to offer before the start of World War 2.  When I had had my fill, I would continue to run the experiences as a "business".

A good friend of mine won 5 million quid on the UK lottery.   Like me, she had been quite privileged as a kid as she lived in HK with her parents who were on high paying expat salaries.  But as an adult back in the UK I guess you could say she did ok but not great. 

After winning the lottery she was able to upgrade her lifestyle to be like we had both enjoyed as a kids.   

She recently emigrated to Australia with her new partner and their youngest kids and she's very happy (still has a large chunk of the money afaik).

• Like 1

If that would happen to me it would be because of our daughter Amy (who turned 11 yesterday) who would have succeeded in her tennis career. Then we would want to settle to Long Boat Key, Bradenton, Florida which is a paradise for tennis players and especially the pros who are able to pay the homes there. 

Edited by Dario
  • Like 1

Just now, Dario said:

If that would happen to me it would be because of our daughter Amy (who turned 11 yesterday) who would have succeeded in her tennis career. Then we would want to settle to Long Boat Key, Bradenton, Florida which is a paradise for tennis players and especially the pros who are able to pay the homes there. 

Alabama song I like

I have been to Custer's last stand.  It is really sad because it took place on a relatively small hill and you can visualize how Custer and his men retreated up the hill until they ran out of space.  There are also markers showing where each trooper died.  I think it should be on everyone's bucket list.

• Like 1

In 1981, long before the power of crystals and pyramids were mentioned on television, I was able to visit the pyramids in Giza.  While standing at one of the corners, I touched the pyramid and could feel it vibrating/humming.  Also, fast forward to 1991, I took two steps into the Mings Tombs outside Beijing, and immediately felt they were connected to Egypt somehow.  Anyone else experience either of these same experiences?

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 3:04 PM, Pilotman said:

I would stay right where I am.   I couldn't face an airport experience right now, even travelling First Class.  No, I'm fine here, for now and probably for a long time yet.  

I would stay at home ,Don't like Traveling and Crowds .Like living in the country with something to do at home A veg garden is a great challenge and keep one busy. than update thing on the house. No time to play tourist.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, shoupy said:

In 1981, long before the power of crystals and pyramids were mentioned on television, I was able to visit the pyramids in Giza.  While standing at one of the corners, I touched the pyramid and could feel it vibrating/humming.  Also, fast forward to 1991, I took two steps into the Mings Tombs outside Beijing, and immediately felt they were connected to Egypt somehow.  Anyone else experience either of these same experiences?

Not quite the same, I felt very claustrophobic when I was in the King's Chamber. But I was at the Valley of the Kings just after the 6-Day War with Israel.  There were no foreign tourists there, other than me and my girlfriend.  Tutankhamen's sarcophagus was still on display in his tomb and I took a photo.  Of all of the photographs I took, it was the only one that didn't come out.  Go figure! 

The Great Pyramid vibrates at the same frequency as the earth, it is said.

• Like 1