Shocked i was shocked

colinneil

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

Anyone else see the irony of the drop down banner at the top of the page?

"Are you in Thailand and feeling low. Need someone to talk to ? Help is at hand.'

Link provides contact details for the Samaritans.????

Never mind, a hot cup of cocoa and a good night's sleep will find the world a less precious place tomorrow.

the samaritans provide an invaluable service, available round the clock, every single day of the year, providing a safe place for anyone who is struggling to cope. excellent organisation.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, samsensam said:

the samaritans provide an invaluable service, available round the clock, every single day of the year, providing a safe place for anyone who is struggling to cope. excellent organisation.

Are they also asking for donations? Just need to ask.

if you got her name, u can file a complaint at big C 

believe me they follow up at this <deleted>

if u do not have her name do it anyway, they have a sitdown everyday before work

this matter will be mentioned, and surely avoided in the future

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, faraday said:

I'm sure they would welcome a donation from you.

I donate a lot but not to things advertised on the internet. I prefer local things like the food cabinet in our town and the local hospital building fund, or even the local temple. The village chief knows I will always help but I don't want to use my name. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wazzupnow said:

if you got her name, u can file a complaint at big C 

believe me they follow up at this <deleted>

if u do not have her name do it anyway, they have a sitdown everyday before work

this matter will be mentioned, and surely avoided in the future

Great you claim to be a caring and sympathetic person, but trash someone who you don't understand. Very kind of you.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

I donate a lot but not to things advertised on the internet. I prefer local things like the food cabinet in our town and the local hospital building fund, or even the local temple. The village chief knows I will always help but I don't want to use my name. 

Oh ok, I thought that as you asked, you wanted to donate to the Samaritans.

I also prefer to donate directly; sadly there are way too many unscrupulous people on the internet.

15 hours ago, Denim said:

Take the rough with the smooth. For every Thai girl out there that doesn't like a farang , for whatever reason , there are plenty that do and not all of them are gold diggers by a long chalk.

So this is what you took away from his entire post?

What does whether or not thai women are gold diggers have to do with anything discussed here?

18 hours ago, checkered flag said:

So its all about you, not the poor check out girl, that you ratted on. I'm aware of disabilities but not entitlement. I do feel sorry for you but for not acting like you are special. 

The clerk was probably only following guidelines and if you had noticed she was probably wearing gloves. Did you ask her in your perfect Thai if the other person could help or did you just assume she was in the wrong. Maybe she assumed you didn't understand that flustered her. 

Occasionally, I sense frustration and ask in proper Thai how I can help. Inevitable there is a problem but quickly solved and we leave on friendly terms. I never act better or expect special service (mutual respect). 

I find most Thais to be very honest, friendly and helpful.

If I didn't understand, I certainly wouldn't be running to the boss to complain. 

Now I and the check out girl are in trouble with the boss. 

..they all talk about us behind our backs or when we're out of ear-shot..just behave as a normal person should and leave it up to them to feel whatever they feel...pointless getting flustered and upset..shrug it off.

I am late to the comment party... I am very surprised by her behavior. I am sad she could not get out of her little world to help another.

Big C since they stopped using plastic bags have not been the best at check-out. I've always got my bags ready and sometimes even give them to the cashier or put them at the end on the 'deck'.  The cashier does very little to fill them up. Most are helpful, but when the next person is in line, you're forgotten. They are going to have to add some staff to help with the bagging. I cannot empty my shopping cart and sack at the same time. (Yes, I buy a lot since I only go after 7-10 days). It's not practical or economical for me to go more often.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I am late to the comment party... I am very surprised by her behavior. I am sad she could not get out of her little world to help another.

Big C since they stopped using plastic bags have not been the best at check-out. I've always got my bags ready and sometimes even give them to the cashier or put them at the end on the 'deck'.  The cashier does very little to fill them up. Most are helpful, but when the next person is in line, you're forgotten. They are going to have to add some staff to help with the bagging. I cannot empty my shopping cart and sack at the same time. (Yes, I buy a lot since I only go after 7-10 days). It's not practical or economical for me to go more often.

Keep that up and it will be “self check outs” next!

98ED5836-769D-4002-AEDC-B19DE706DC75.png

Edited by Olmate

3 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I'm not one to complain to the boss, especially when I don't understand what is really happening. I would simply shop at a different store or go to a different check out counter. I try to steer toward the pretty clerks but my wife redirects the cars to the old ones. 

I feel sorry for the staff that has to help you. You seem rather demanding or maybe just grumpy. 

Just now, checkered flag said:

They would eliminate any discrimination against falongs and force everyone to pack their groceries themselves.

Your above comment just shows how completely out of touch with reality you are.

Also shows you comment without reading posts first.

As i have stated, i go shopping strapped on to my scooter, due to having no balance, not strapped on i would just fall over.

Yet i suppose you will counter my post, by saying i should stay home, and let my wife do the shopping.

I need someone to pack my shopping as i cannot reach to groceries on the bench.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Your above comment just shows how completely out of touch with reality you are.

Also shows you comment without reading posts first.

As i have stated, i go shopping strapped on to my scooter, due to having no balance, not strapped on i would just fall over.

Yet i suppose you will counter my post, by saying i should stay home, and let my wife do the shopping.

I need someone to pack my shopping as i cannot reach to groceries on the bench.

You should go with your wife or a helper if you need to go out. Do you really think others enjoy helping you, if they know you'll complain if not to your liking? They most likely pity your situation. Everyone I see shopping who is in a wheelchair or crutches, has someone that they bring along to help. Do you really go shopping expecting the store to provide a personal shopper for you? Maybe because I'm old I should ask Big C to have a pretty young clerk assist me because my eyesight isn't as good and the print on the packages is not clear. Or maybe they'd tell me to spring for a new set of glasses. 

I appreciate those who help, but never complain about those who don't. It's the difference between accepting and demanding. I'm sure the average Thai is kinder and more helpful than the ones you left in England.

BTW who is so kind to strap you to your scooter and help you when you return. Maybe they'd go with you if you treat them nice and share some of what you buy.

I'm not out of touch and don't think you should be using others by demanding their help.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

No need to use quotation mark about racism in this incident if the woman said she hates farang. That is pretty blunt racism.

Heard some pretty stupid things lately. Reverse-racism? What the heck is that?! It's either racism or its not! It's not an exclusive trait to one group of people. You'll see racism from people of any colour.

My funniest experience was a white blonde alaskan girl who asked me if i was racist before going out on a date with me. And i said no, I'm not. I just treat <deleted> like <deleted>, no matter their colour or creed. But some days later she was going off about the native american indians, how they were lazy scumbags milking the government and boozing their life away. That was a racist tirade as i've ever heard it.

Anyway, back on topic, sorry about your experience Colin! Being disabled and reliant on help makes situations like that very unpleasant. Those of us who can still walk could easily handle the situation, but for you it was especially unpleasant i think.

I had an "i raised my eyebrows" moment the other day when i stopped by my usual store for buying bottled water. There is a thai guy in his 40s there who usualy has been smiling and a little chatty. He usualy took my orders. This time he didnt look at me as i walked into the store. The wife of the owner was behind the counter and greeted me very pleasantly. I walked over by the water and stood there waiting to be served. Finaly she shouted some choice words to him and he came over, didnt look me in the eyes, and knotted down my order. Then put them in the car (he litteraly threw the last packages carelessly in the trunk). Was very awkward as there seemed to be some resentment towards me for some odd reason. The lady was pleasant as usual. But the guy was just off. I didnt say anything except the usual khap khun khap. Hope its not a trend. But then again...if all goes well i will be leaving Thailand forever within 1 year. Just waiting for the possibility to fly back to the Philippines. Will likely get married there and move to Norway later.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I just hope for your sake, you are never in the same position as me.

If you go out on the roads here take care, anything can and does happen, you can be totally ok driving safely, then BANG you are paralyzed for life.

You would not be so damn smart then.

Colin, You need a practical solution that's a win-win. This is my suggestion: Ask you wife to contact the local high school and ask if there are any students that would like a couple of hours of work a week speaking English. There are plenty of 11 and 12 grade students who speak reasonably good English but lack practice. I'd suggest you offer maybe 200 Baht for two hours of shopping assistance. They win because they get to practice and a little cash and you obviously win by getting needed help. Plus it could be fun. In my experience girls are more studious but might not want to work one on one with a gentleman. I'd encourage them to bring along a friend or two (or mom) at first so that they are comfortable. If you get along, stopping at Swenson's would be nice. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Airalee said:

I can sympathize with Colin’s plight but personally, I think that complaining to the boss which could potentially end in the girl losing her job isn’t the way to go.

The last few months have probably been extremely trying on most working class Thais and God only knows what she (and her family) have been going through as of late.  Walk a mile in another mans shoes.

What if she’s the only breadwinner in her family and everybody else is currently out of work or underemployed.   Will you feel better if she loses her job, hits rock bottom and subsequently cannot feed her family.  What if she commits suicide...will you say “serves her right for being so dismissive of my condition!”?

Perhaps, the best way to handle it would be to try to win her over.   How about going to the store and buying a pint of ice cream (or whatever)...nothing else that you would need help with...go to her line...buy the ice cream...hand it to her and say “I saw you were stressed the other day...I hope today is a better day for you”.  I’ll bet you will have won her over and she will be tripping over herself to help the “farang jai dee” every time she sees you from here on out.

Perhaps the way to handle it is to get over the actions of a single staff member and next time queue up behing one of the many staff members he has claimed to get along well with.

Bribing a snotty cashier with ice cream is perhaps the most ridiculous thing I have heard.

Edited by n00dle
  • Like 1