Australians can forget about overseas travel until at least next year

ezzra

Have to take with a pinch of salt. There will be significant political and business push back. Accordingly return passenger flights to overseas destinations will likely be gradually opened up based on level of Covid mitigation efforts success. As an example for the moment inbound passengers from the UK are the ones being positively tested for Covid whilst in quarantine, same has occurred in NZ.

Qantas are currently planning to reopen for some international destinations in the October / November timeline. Thai BNE - BKK flights were scheduled to commence around mid September, will need to monitor when Thai are able to finally agree commencement with Thai / Oz governments and what, if any, criteria are applied.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, simple1 said:

In today's media it is alleged Oz is losing $84 million a day due to closure of international passenger flights. There will be lots of pressure to gradually open up for inbound overseas tourism and reciprocal arrangements with countries doing very well with Covid management e.g. no new local transmissions for 14 days.

Pressure there will be, but I don't think they will give rats a$$ because if they have a repeat, and shut down again, Australia will become a banana republic.

Going into this they had a very good surplus so they can withstand the delay to the tourist coming next year, as for businesses that depend on the tourism dollar, well there will be a lot of closures unless the Ozzies internally can support them.

Either way you look at it, it's $hit

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

Pressure there will be, but I don't think they will give rats a$$ because if they have a repeat, and shut down again, Australia will become a banana republic.

Going into this they had a very good surplus so they can withstand the delay to the tourist coming next year, as for businesses that depend on the tourism dollar, well there will be a lot of closures unless the Ozzies internally can support them.

Either way you look at it, it's $hit

Surplus has been wiped out & then some. It's estimated around a trillion dollars of national debt by the end of the Covid crisis. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Surplus has been wiped out & then some. It's estimated around a trillion dollars of national debt by the end of the Covid crisis. 

A trillion dollars, hmmmm sounds a little over exaggerated I would think, 500 billion at worst case scenario, but if it is a trillion, the working man could see see a new tax scale, no doubt on the up, that and or there is could be a tax on everything that doesn't currently have a tax in my opinion.

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

A trillion dollars, hmmmm sounds a little over exaggerated I would think, 500 billion at worst case scenario, but if it is a trillion, the working man could see see a new tax scale, no doubt on the up, that and or there is could be a tax on everything that doesn't currently have a tax in my opinion.

Just checked - currently national debt at $795 billion, won't take too long to reach a trillion at current expenditure rate.

https://australiandebtclock.com.au/

To put it into perspective, initially the formal travel ban was 3 months, Mar/Jun now 3 more until September. These comments by the tourism minister at the press club briefing yesterday, echo what Morrison has been saying all along. They dont reflect small, incremental increases in travel that are likely to happen through various developments, such as an expanding bubble initially with NZ, (though recognise this is fraught with difficulty due to differing Covid strategies) but potentially others, plus other non tourist travel, business people, work purposes, compassionate reasons, and international students are likely to be negotiated back in. Plus as the ban wears on more and more people with other reasons to fly apart from holidays are going to apply for more and more exemptions. We or at least I have no visibility of the numbers of these, and I can imagine there are categories like dual citizens or permanent Australian residents with retained citizenship elsewhere who will be able to travel. (not sure about this) The issue for the Australian Governments is whilst they have a quarantine in place they cant have large numbers of these people returning to be quarantined at their expense. I expect the government paid for quarantine will run out in September or earlier and after that it will be either exemptions based upon your country of origin/bubble or you'll have to pay yourself. Anyway tourism outside of any bubbles is clearly off for the year.

Edited by Bluetongue
last sentence
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Hmmm, I see, but how much of it will be Covid related 150-250 billion ?

Back in March more like $300 billion plus with more to come

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/mar/31/australian-economic-stimulus-package-how-much-governments-have-committed-to-coronavirus-crisis

I find the amount of almost dystopian levels of authoritarianism in Commonwealth countries to be rather fascinating.  The "leadership" pretty much embraces the Machiavellian tenets of other authoritarian regimes that have graced the historical record.
What these countries populations will be subjected to will be somewhere in between Mussolini's Fascist Italy and Orwell's 1984.
That's not a pretty picture.  

""In our world, there will be no emotions except fear, rage, triumph, and self-abasement.......There will be no loyalty, except loyalty to the party, but always there will be the intoxication of power. Always at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless. If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever. The moral to be drawn from this dangerous nightmare situation is a simple one. Don’t let it happen. It depends on you."
~ George Orwell 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, connda said:

I find the amount of almost dystopian levels of authoritarianism in Commonwealth countries to be rather fascinating.  The "leadership" pretty much embraces the Machiavellian tenets of other authoritarian regimes that have graced the historical record.
What these countries populations will be subjected to will be somewhere in between Mussolini's Fascist Italy and Orwell's 1984.

""In our world, there will be no emotions except fear, rage, triumph, and self-abasement.......There will be no loyalty, except loyalty to the party, but always there will be the intoxication of power. Always at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless. If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever. The moral to be drawn from this dangerous nightmare situation is a simple one. Don’t let it happen. It depends on you."
~ George Orwell 

Oz has elections every 3 yrs,hopefully the next leader won’t be a  2x failed tourism CEO.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

~ George Orwell 

Obviously they'll run the whole shooting match off a novel.

• Haha 1

Some on this forum were sceptical when I suggested back in March that it would be far longer than 6 months before Australians could travel overseas again. IF a miracle vaccine’s developed and is eventually widely available, I think it will be 2023 at the earliest before Australians are allowed to leave our country without onerous restrictions.      

If no vaccine, then much later than that, as the lockdowns and isolation of countries mean that the virus will be around for many years. Just look at the panic in NZ when a couple of infected travellers were released from quarantine too early. Hope I’m completely wrong! At least we don’t have to wear masks (so far).

• Like 2

An interesting conundrum. I am classed by Centrelink and the ATO as resident overseas, so I don't think they can have it both ways. If they want to keep me in Australia, I'd say they would have to amend my residency status.