Australians can forget about overseas travel until at least next year

ezzra

13 hours ago, Olmate said:

Who needs Qantas? Should loose the flying roo. Can’t loose Virgin or forget affordable flights 

The problem is Virgin is mostly owned by overseas investors so the OZ government

will not bail them out

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

The problem is Virgin is mostly owned by overseas investors so the OZ government

will not bail them out

Agree with that & would much prefer  any other company then Quantas as they also are a big Nanny on their flights 

I have to add the logic of Australia 

just watched A current of affairs & the way they put it was that a bunch of women could just go out & somehow spend thousands to be maybe house builders & have work (they showed this on a building site )

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

An interesting conundrum. I am classed by Centrelink and the ATO as resident overseas, so I don't think they can have it both ways. If they want to keep me in Australia, I'd say they would have to amend my residency status.

I'm pretty sure your Oz citizenship trumps your residency.

17 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I'm pretty sure your Oz citizenship trumps your residency.

Best of both worlds.can travel back to Oz and can have exemption to return to his residence here according to Oz Embassy Bangkok

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Best of both worlds.can travel back to Oz and can have exemption to return to his residence here according to Oz Embassy Bangkok

Is that on their website or have you spoken to them. Curious because I am supposed to go back for an eye operation.

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

An interesting conundrum. I am classed by Centrelink and the ATO as resident overseas, so I don't think they can have it both ways. If they want to keep me in Australia, I'd say they would have to amend my residency status.

It sèems like the Australian Government have  amended the status of the majority of Australians to "Temporary Detainee". I find it pretty indicative of a Big Brother approach to deny citizens the right to travel to where they want to go and at their risk, if the destination country accepts them. Especially when the returnee would be required to self isolate (and rightly so) on return.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Is that on their website or have you spoken to them. Curious because I am supposed to go back for an eye operation.

Ambassador mentioned it in his daily video briefing a few days ago, you can find them on the website. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

It sèems like the Australian Government have  amended the status of the majority of Australians to "Temporary Detainee". I find it pretty indicative of a Big Brother approach to deny citizens the right to travel to where they want to go and at their risk, if the destination country accepts them. Especially when the returnee would be required to self isolate (and rightly so) on return.

35 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Here is a screenshot from Home affairs listing possible exemptionsA8EBED98-C841-4B29-8437-77040FC131EC.thumb.png.f925b12d3a77acd673b19963dcb19c9e.png

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 5633572526 said:

Without a date on the heavily cropped pic this is useless information.

This is not useless as you tried to infer  ....  enough said .... read the story  !!

The head of Australia's largest travel company says the current situation "can't get much worse" as Qantas announced it has scrapped international flights until late October.

But federal Tourism Minister Simon Birmingham has admitted international travel probably won't resume until next year. https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/qantas-axes-overseas-flights-until-october/ar-BB15D1PK

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

What's your problem. Do they make you feel weak, small or something.  ????

Three strong and big macho drunken Aussies raped my brother's daughter in Bali 7 years ago.  Made her feel weak and small among other things.   Not finished with that yet, two died in an automobile accident, one is still breathing.  

On 6/18/2020 at 6:46 AM, 4MyEgo said:

What, no bubble plans with Thailand, too bad for the Thai's, besides, lots of really nice places to see within Australia, e.g. support your own economy first, as the Thai's are doing at the moment.

To add, with what, 6 million low income earners receiving government handouts to keep people employed due to Covid-19, can't see anyone going on holidays for a while, besides Thailand has done enough damage to its tourism industry lately by one particular idiot not having a single clue how to keep his mouths shut.

Som nam nah

"support your own economy first, as the Thai's are doing at the moment."

Thai people on a weekend trip brings everything they need with them. They don't spend anything unless they have to and they stay 5-6 persons in the same room. That doesn't help the economy very much.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 6:37 AM, ukrules said:

Overkill and it won't last.

It depends on how much pain the average Aussie can suffer economically.  Granted, the "leadership" is no doubt financially insulated which is why they are more then happy to lock their citizens down for the next year or so. 

I always thought Aussies were an independent bunch.  But I'm thinking nowadays, not so much. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Max69xl said:

"support your own economy first, as the Thai's are doing at the moment."

Thai people on a weekend trip brings everything they need with them. They don't spend anything unless they have to and they stay 5-6 persons in the same room. That doesn't help the economy very much.

That is correct in a certain class of Thai people, we are a family of 6 but we don't bring all of our stuff, I suppose if your poorer than the middle man, you will bring what you have to, as for 6 in a room, not here, 2 rooms thanks ????

On 6/18/2020 at 7:27 AM, pineapple01 said:

Jeez thats some hardship being stuck in Oz for a Holiday. Where i come from you can enjoy a Beach for an hour before it rains, look at a Windmill,Tulip Fields and eat Chocolate Sprinkle with everything

With respect, I have heard of "double Dutch" but "quadruple Dutch"!!!