Raids on gold shops uncover Bt200bn money laundering operation

snoop1130

2 hours ago, bangkokfrog said:

Understood, but how can we be sure that the 70 million confiscated was all that was found. Hard to believe that some of what was found didn't fall off the back of the police pick-up.

The boys do hope to get a tip 10% maybe  ????

16 hours ago, DrDave said:

The 70 million was hard assets confiscated. In a money laundering operation, its all about cash flows and cooking the books, and very little to do with hard assets. Thus the differential between the 70 million confiscated and the 200 billion value of the operation.

Not to mention great way of taking money over seas. Convert to gold make a <deleted> bracelet and bingo no questions at customs. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, DrDave said:

The 70 million was hard assets confiscated. In a money laundering operation, its all about cash flows and cooking the books, and very little to do with hard assets. Thus the differential between the 70 million confiscated and the 200 billion value of the operation.

When i moved here I wondered why there were gold shops on both sides of the divided road, Thai's don't seen to be real rich, in Big C location and even a little further down the road. All the same company sign......Always have customers.... Whey did it take the authorities so long to see something is wrong? It's not normal to have that many outlets so close together and doing a booming business. I can see opposites sides of the road, the way Thai roads are, but little shops of the same Company, give me a break... Welcome to the real world......

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

When are they going to raid all the shopping malls? TVF Shopping Mall Analysts have never seen any shoppers in any Thai mall and so determined the malls are money laundering operations.

Absolutely agree with you. I've never seen one, not one, customer in any of the hi-so designer bag/watch/pen/clothes shops. With the huge rents they pay they must lose a fortune. But they probably have 'influential' owners or 'private' customers who have to hide their 'unusual wealth'.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

When I lived in america we would watch a new building going up, when the windows were installed are they more high=end than the rest of the structure. If the windows didn't fit in with the whole pitcure we figured someone had a bit of cash on hand they didn't want to account for

• Confused 2

not sure what took them so long to get to it... someone must have got pi**ed off someone high up there or didn't pay the dues to bring the ire of the law enforcement people on the racket...

Edited by ezzra
  • Like 1

How amazingly stupid these Thais are... they would not let me put a few hundred baht on my rabbit card in case i was "money Laundering" , really on my rabbit card. 5555555 and yet here we are with the Police and security guards running gold shops laundering 200 bn baht... What a joke they are.

How can they even manage to get out of bed in the morning without assistance??

Edited by Shammy
Typo
  • Like 1