Thailand Aims to Turn Away From Mass Tourism and Target the Wealthy

rooster59

14 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Hasn't worked for Jamaica though. You can get Ganja there easy, but not exactly a destination of choice for the very rich. Errol Flynn excepted, but that was many moons ago.

Jamaica has spectacular women, btw.

The ganja in Jamaica is trash (compared to Cali high grade) and many many men have an “Asian woman fetish”.  Never heard of a “Jamaican woman fetish”

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Airalee said:

The ganja in Jamaica is trash (compared to Cali high grade) and many many men have an “Asian woman fetish”.  Never heard of a “Jamaican woman fetish”

The 32 hour journey makes the difference (How long it takes a friend from Florida to travel to Thailand)? Americans have lots of options other than Thailand, also, unlike us northern-Europeans, they don't have to leave the country for warm winter weather.

• Like 1

Reading the title, I remembered a saying from back home

It doesn't translate well but here it is

'I wish I'd still have my health and I wouldn't mind being rich too'

Edited by Vigilante
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

I stayed in a private villa in the Centara Grand, was very pleasant in an old world kind of way. Big ceilings, sunken living room. The villas are way better than the hotel rooms. I actually booked a hotel room and they were so disappointing I asked for a villa. I went to all the top 5 star hotels in Phuket for lunch or dinner, just to check out if I picked the best place. Didn't see anything better. The villas in Centara Grand are very comparable to Amanpuri. Now of course outside Phuket there are many places that are better than the Centara Grand in Phuket, but someone mentioned Phuket as the "jewel in the Crown".

I was in a Laguna resort in Bali, Nusa Dua, which frankly was worlds better than Cenatra Grand Phuket in every way. Of course there are comparable ultra luxury resorts in Thailand, however, the problem is if you go to the city, say in Phuket, the ugliness and poverty envelop you like a bad smell. 

I think Japanese and Korean now prefer Malaysia for this reason. More luxury there.

I totally agree that Thailand will do well with tourism from the mid to low end range, because it still has a lot to offer.

Well well well. You gonna be on their list and they gonna be knocking on your email door to come spend your riches on Thai posh-ness. Remember once you leave your home, you become a tourist. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, baansgr said:

Although they may spend 5 times the amount of sexpats..it doesn't create 5 times as many jobs which is what's needed most

But of course rich, affluent tourists bring in money directly into the pockets of the rich and affluent, the poor who eked out a living in sometimes very "dirty" jobs and the families dependent on them are not important.

The medical tourism, till now, was based on Thailand being cheaper.

However, the prices in Thailand are now on the same level or higher as the prices in Europe's healthcare industry.

And what are rich and affluent people looking for?

Exactly the same as everybody else.

Thailand, in my view, gambled on Chinese, well, Chinese come once and next year go somewhere else.

The rich Chinese come here, buy a few condos to rent them out to Chinese tour groups, but stay away.

But as Chinese seem to have a grudge against white people, that filters down to the people in power in Thailand.

Poor Thai......

• Like 2

Pattaya has long way to go to attract

big dosh, its just not lavish or glamourous.

Theres nowhere to park me super luxury

300m yacht except aground near the

sewage outfall. Thai dreamers like me.

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

Hasn't worked for Jamaica though. You can get Ganja there easy, but not exactly a destination of choice for the very rich. Errol Flynn excepted, but that was many moons ago.

Jamaica has spectacular women, btw.

I must say Jamaica is the WORST immigration experience i've ever encountered in maybe 40 years and 40 countries visited. The only denial i've ever had, on a second visit, for no reason, and no supervisor.

Not to mention total insecurity. And crazy prices.

• Like 2