mRNA vaccine against Covid-19 shows initial success on monkeys

snoop1130

mRNA vaccine against Covid-19 shows initial success on monkeys

By The Nation

800_e2e347f385aa5c9.jpg

Thailand seems to be moving closer to finding a Covid-19 vaccine after the first trial on monkeys proved to be successful, leaving them strong and immune to the virus. Scientists were scheduled to launch a second round of testing the mRNA vaccine on the animals on Monday (June 22).

This success means the vaccine should be ready for human testing by October, Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation Minister Suvit Maesincee said.

After two weeks, researchers will check the vaccinated monkeys’ blood to see if they are still immune to Covid-19, before injecting a third dose in August.

The vaccine is being tested on 13 monkeys, who are divided into three groups:

• The first group of five received high doses of the vaccine, and four of the monkeys built up an immunity against the virus;

• The second group of five monkeys were low doses of the virus, and four were able to create antibodies;

• The remaining three monkeys were not vaccinated and were found to not be immune to the virus.

Results of the second round of vaccination should be available at the end of July.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30390094

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-22

9 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The vaccine is being tested on 13 monkeys,

13 ?? this is a very small number, they should have tested it on the 1,000's of generals at the government

• Like 2

I wonder how many dirty farang foreigners are involved in this program 

do you all realise that if they deem this to be effective I suspect that everyone in the country will be forced to have it and farangs will be made to pay  

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

13 ?? this is a very small number, they should have tested it on the 1,000's of generals at the government

It comes after 12.

Did you see the movie 12 Monkeys starring Bruce WIllis?

A deadly virus, released in 1996, wipes out almost all of humanity; survivors are forced to live underground. A group known as the Army of the Twelve Monkeys is believed to have released the virus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_Monkeys

• Thanks 1

Ok, say that they find that this vaccin works agains the virus. And in a couple of month from now they say ok, it is good everyone has to get the vaccine. What about long time effect? The Covid-virus I could to some part protect myself from. A vaccin in my blood, I have no chance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Logosone said:

So much for this nonsense that there is no immunity to SARS Cov-2, that a vaccine can not be found, as some people on here were claiming a few weeks ago.

Proves again they did nothing in 17 years to find a vaccine against SARS...

On 6/22/2020 at 5:45 PM, ThailandRyan said:

So in essence the current Government has been the test subjects, that is just so awesome.

Disagree strongly, if this was the case, the build up of immunity would be a disaster.

20 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

20 YEARS of sars research leaded to the death of all lab animals after they were getting the real wild variant of the virus

That's completely untrue. In two out of the many, many trials of SARS candidate vaccines, some animals (mice in one cases, ferrets in another) had an enhanced inflammatory response. None of them died. See full details on the link below.

SARS vaccines - where are we?

As this scientific review further pointed out:

... the overall picture for SARS-CoV vaccines shows no particular reason for concern with vaccine enhancement of disease. In the cases where it has been reported, it appears to be confined to a particular expression system rather than specifically related to any antigen. In the vast majority of studies, immunogenicity has been elicited without any negative impact on health after challenge with the virulent pathogen.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

20 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

Proves again they did nothing in 17 years to find a vaccine against SARS...

Attempts to create a vaccine for SARS lost all impetus after the disease disappeared. Also, how could you ever have meaningful phase 3 human trials if none of the test subjects were ever going to catch SARS (since it no longer existed)?

Not to rain on anyone's Thai parade, but these monkey experiments are known as preclinical trials. There are currently over 125+ vaccines in this phase. Astrazeneca and the Murdoch Children’s Research Institute in Australia each already have a potential vaccine in Phase III. Not to mention the other pharmaceutical juggernauts such as Merck and J&J getting light speed approval from the government.

Edited by Kwaynoom

On 6/22/2020 at 2:59 PM, smedly said:

I wonder how many dirty farang foreigners are involved in this program 

do you all realise that if they deem this to be effective I suspect that everyone in the country will be forced to have it and farangs will be made to pay  

Presumably not if a vaccine is available in one's home country and one has it there and gets a certificate. However.....TIT????

I suspect / hope, it will be like Yellow Fever USED to be - get the vaccine and get a cert attached to your passport

Edited by VBF

people are mis-informed....

the studies died not because Sars went away

the studies stopped because the lab animals DIED, not of the vaccine, but after, when they were exposed to a real live wild SARS .... cytokine storms killed all/most of them, end of research

17 years brought nothing valid

but now in 1 year or less, they pretend they will find something that will work for covid19 in a record time ?

the vaccine manufacturers are EXEMPT of being SUED by people who get injured...

that alone should be enough to say or think, just a little bit

EVERY SINGLE BIG PHARMA COMPANY has been sued & made to pay billion in damages for FRAUD, fake advertisement, for things other than vaccines they produced over the last decades

https://www.google.com/search?q=EVERY+SINGLE+BIG+PHARMA+COMPANY+has+been+sued+%26+made+to+pay+billion+in+damages+for+FRAUD

25 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

people are mis-informed....

the studies died not because Sars went away

the studies stopped because the lab animals DIED, not of the vaccine, but after, when they were exposed to a real live wild SARS .... cytokine storms killed all/most of them, end of research

This is absolutely untrue. See my post (# 17) just above. No animals died because of an enhanced inflammatory response to a SARS candidate vaccine and what's more, the majority of SARS candidate vaccines did not encounter this problem. 

The research was actually halted for two main reasons - a) the virus had disappeared and b) funding dried up.

As the article on the link below states, the problem of antibody-dependent enhancement (ADE) was a relatively minor setback, easily overcome by researchers:

Instead of producing the whole spike protein of the virus, they built just a tiny piece of it—the piece that attaches to human cells, called the receptor-binding domain. Subsequent animal tests showed that this strategy did provide the desired protection without the unwanted immune enhancement.

[...]

But then they hit a roadblock. The money dried up. By that time, SARS was no longer spreading, and interest in a vaccine had waned.

Avoiding pitfalls in the development of a CoVid-19 vaccine

Here's another article attesting to the same thing:

Scientists were close to a SARS vaccine then the money dried up

• Like 1

Posts claiming animals died due to SARS vaccine are completely untrue.

Posters are warned re forum rules on posting factually untrue information.

That yoy can find a conspiracy site online saying something does not mean it is true.

• Thanks 1

The biggest barrier to the effectiveness of a vaccine program will be Bronze Age religious beliefs and the tin-hat brigade.

There are many unpredictable risks to contracting a virus, so while I'm not averse to the herd immunity approach, I'd rather have a tested a vaccine - as the risks are more controlled.

4 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

The biggest barrier to the effectiveness of a vaccine program will be Bronze Age religious beliefs and the tin-hat brigade.

There are many unpredictable risks to contracting a virus, so while I'm not averse to the herd immunity approach, I'd rather have a tested a vaccine - as the risks are more controlled.

Not many Thais in the  "tin hat brigade".

And Thai superstition has not prevented high levels of immunization for other diseases. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Not many Thais in the  "tin hat brigade".

And Thai superstition has not prevented high levels of immunization for other diseases. 

I was thinking of parts of Africa, Pakistan, Indonesia, Bangladesh, where religious issues have frustrated other vaccination programs, and also some of the anti-vaccination views on this forum.

As you know, only one disease has been eradicated through vaccination, and with social media missinformation these days, it may be the last one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

As you know, only one disease has been eradicated through vaccination, and with social media missinformation these days, it may be the last one.

It is the mis-information and anti-vaccine extremists which have dented the general public's confidence in vaccinations, but the truth of the matter is......Two infectious diseases have successfully been eradicated: smallpox and rinderpest. 

There are also four ongoing programs, targeting poliomyelitis, yaws, dracunculiasis, and malaria. Five more infectious diseases have been identified as of April 2008 as potentially eradicable with current technology by the Carter Center International Task Force for Disease Eradication—measles, mumps, rubella, lymphatic filariasis and cysticercosis.

And I believe the likes of polio would have been eradicated had it not been for non-vaccination in poorer countries, where it seems to have reared its ugly head again.

17 minutes ago, xylophone said:

It is the mis-information and anti-vaccine extremists which have dented the general public's confidence in vaccinations, but the truth of the matter is......Two infectious diseases have successfully been eradicated: smallpox and rinderpest. 

There are also four ongoing programs, targeting poliomyelitis, yaws, dracunculiasis, and malaria. Five more infectious diseases have been identified as of April 2008 as potentially eradicable with current technology by the Carter Center International Task Force for Disease Eradication—measles, mumps, rubella, lymphatic filariasis and cysticercosis.

And I believe the likes of polio would have been eradicated had it not been for non-vaccination in poorer countries, where it seems to have reared its ugly head again.

OK ..... but I was referring to human diseases, and so far only smallpox has been eradicated.

I agree that polio is nearly there, but that still only 2 since vaccination was invented 200 years ago.

Personally I go for a wide range of vaccinations, but I just don't think COVID-19 will be eradicated any time soon, and the effort would be better spent on TB eradication - which is a bigger issue than COVID, but less fashionable.

2 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

OK ..... but I was referring to human diseases, and so far only smallpox has been eradicated.

I agree that polio is nearly there, but that still only 2 since vaccination was invented 200 years ago.

Personally I go for a wide range of vaccinations, but I just don't think COVID-19 will be eradicated any time soon, and the effort would be better spent on TB eradication - which is a bigger issue than COVID, but less fashionable.

The anti-HPV vaccine has had great success in preventing HPV infections, but then again it's back to the old story that if everyone has the vaccination then the thing will be wiped out, but whilst people don't, then it will still be around.

I do agree with you in some respects about the Covid virus, because I'm not sure that it is serious enough to have caused this much of a problem, and I know statistics seem to show more younger people dying from it now, but in the main it is a virus which has affected the old, disabled and sick, also those with an underlying health issue.

Quite agree with you about TB, as it is a more serious and life-threatening disease IMO, but throughout the world there are extremists, religious and otherwise, who will not accept vaccinations so it makes eradication difficult.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Posts claiming animals died due to SARS vaccine are completely untrue.

Posters are warned re forum rules on posting factually untrue information.

That yoy can find a conspiracy site online saying something does not mean it is true.

Recombinant live attenuated modified vaccinia virus Ankara (MVA) was used to deliver the SARS spike protein (rMVA-S) into Balb/c mice [59]. Neutralizing antibodies were obtained and a reduction in the viral titer was observed after challenge with live SARS-CoV [59]. Only ferrets that were challenged with SARS-CoV after vaccination with rMVA-S showed enhanced liver disease as demonstrated by increases in ALT values and the presence of mononuclear hepatitis upon histological examination [60]. These data suggest enhanced disease due to vaccination with a SARS protein.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7115537/

so please, no blabla about conspiracy, or is the national institute of health part of the conspiracy sources ?

no further studies were done as this "vaccine" killed the liver in lab animals