ATM Exchange Rate Fee

Thomas T

The ATM fee seems to be fixed at 220 THB.

But there is an additional exchange rate surcharge for ATM.  I read that it could be up to 12%.

Does anyone know which bank has the lowest surcharge rate?

I know people recommending bringing cash.

1 hour ago, torturedsole said:

The OP doesn't appear to be querying the ATM fee.  

Correct.  Looking for bank ATM with the lowest exchange rate surchage fee.

Every ATM will have the standard 220 THB for non-Thai ATM/debit card.  There is no way around that. 

11 minutes ago, Thomas T said:

Every ATM will have the standard 220 THB for non-Thai ATM/debit card.  There is no way around that. 

You need to look up the TT rate for the bank you are using. But most banks are very close so it matters little And always decline the conversion, which means that you will get the published TT rate. (TT= Telegraphic Transfer)

Edited by tonray
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Thomas T said:

They are all bad, finding out the % they charge will be difficult. Best to find out what exchange rate and charges your own bank charges. Often it's Mastercard\visa +2% or more. This is still likely to be better than the ATM rate offered so decline that

• Like 1

OP, its not like one bank has a higher or lower fee, they all have varying exchange rates. After you decline the dynamic exchange rate (change to you home currency now) the next screen shows the current rate for the transaction. At that point you can note the rate then cancel the transaction, repeat the process in a different ATM and choose the best rate. 

Often the rates are similar across all ATMs, sometimes they vary.

2 hours ago, baansgr said:

The additional surcharge is from the card issuer...ask your bank what the charge is.

No, my card does't charge a transaction fee.   Many cards do charge a 2% to 3% and that would be on top of the Thai bank's surcharge fee question that I am asking. 

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

They are all bad, finding out the % they charge will be difficult. Best to find out what exchange rate and charges your own bank charges. Often it's Mastercard\visa +2% or more. This is still likely to be better than the ATM rate offered so decline that

It is easy to figure out what rate they are charging. Just check what you get against the XE rate is at the time you make the transaction. 

Some ATM cards do not charge fees AND reimburse fees charged by the foreign bank.

20 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It is easy to figure out what rate they are charging. Just check what you get against the XE rate is at the time you make the transaction. 

Some ATM cards do not charge fees AND reimburse fees charged by the foreign bank.

Not really that won't pin down whether it was Mastercard, Visa, interbank, other. Usually it's easy, just ask your bank or look online

1 hour ago, Thomas T said:

No, my card does't charge a transaction fee.   Many cards do charge a 2% to 3% and that would be on top of the Thai bank's surcharge fee question that I am asking.

In that case all ATMs will be the same as long as you do not allow the ATM to do the currency conversion.  Decline their nice offer and conversion will be done by Mastercard/Visa dependant on your card and will be much better than otherwise.

Mastercard is reportedly slightly better than Visa, but not worth worrying over.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 3:34 AM, Thomas T said:

I have quite a few credit cards for domestic UK use but my main credit card for international travels is the Halifax Clarity credit card [MasterCard].  I carry the rest of the cards for back up, just in case.  

I don't draw funds from the ATM on the Halifax card as I have a Bangkok Bank account.  But both are useful in their own ways.

I regularly send money over to my Bangkok Bank account from UK and draw cash, when required, with no charges.  But for larger purchases in LOS then I pay on the Halifax Clarity.  

On 6/26/2020 at 12:57 AM, baansgr said:

The additional surcharge is from the card issuer...ask your bank what the charge is.

Not at all.  The additional charge comes from the bank's ATM that you use but this can be negated by declining the DCC rate.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, torturedsole said:

my main credit card for international travels is the Halifax Clarity credit card [MasterCard].  I carry the rest of the cards for back up, just in case.  

Same here. The Halifax Clarity cc is really good for me - no extra fees + good exchange rates. Even if I draw cash abroad (extremely rare e.g. regular funds delay, etc) so long I pay that money back on the cc say, within 1-3 days later, the interest is really negligible.

But as many mentioned here, do decline option to convert your money to THB when shown on the screen.

Make sure you select the language you understand on the ATM options menu, and do read carefully the information on the screen before proceeding and selecting "yes" button. This may sound bit silly of an advice, but we all are prone to errors, particularly when the ATM's screens are cluttered with information, badly lit, short screen time and in a busy environment...

Edited by McArie
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, torturedsole said:

I have quite a few credit cards for domestic UK use but my main credit card for international travels is the Halifax Clarity credit card [MasterCard].  I carry the rest of the cards for back up, just in case.  

I don't draw funds from the ATM on the Halifax card as I have a Bangkok Bank account.  But both are useful in their own ways.

I regularly send money over to my Bangkok Bank account from UK and draw cash, when required, with no charges.  But for larger purchases in LOS then I pay on the Halifax Clarity.  

It's actually cheaper to take a cash advance over the counter with the Clarity, to then put the cash into the Bangkok Bank account, than it is to send it over from the U.K.