Letter inviting Egyptian to Bangkok is fake, says Thai finance authority

webfact

7 minutes ago, nemo38 said:

What is this about? Why would a fake letter inviting a particular Egyptian guy to Thailand be circulating online and why would Thailand's Comptroller General's Department have to step in and say it is a fake?

They didn't do a good job of writing this article.

Think about it, it is called damage control....if it was fake news why even address it.

25 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Someone was caught out in a lie and the media cover-up started.  Better check at the local court and the local amphur to see what he changed his name to, or will he show up as a monk......

dang..(throws orange robe away---unpacks..)

3 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I thought that Khao San Road was closed?

Maybe for forgeries, but not for those few that want a drink or some food from those that are not closed up.  I was just there on last Saturday and Sunday, none of the back alley boiler rooms were up and running....

31 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Think about it, it is called damage control....if it was fake news why even address it.

I can think of a few reasons why the letter exists, for example the guy invited himself using photoshop. 

Are saying that the letter was really created by someone in the Thai government for a cash pay out and that this is what they are covering up?

Why would the letter end up online anyway? 

Great journalism which made all of this clear as mud in the story.

51 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

If it's a fake how did they know the Egyptian's full name, passport number, etc?

????

Why do you ask?

Do you know Mohamed Abdalla Muffied Shehata personally?

Know his passport number too?

Has he even got a passport?

Does he even exist?

29 minutes ago, blackcab said:

It's obviously fake. When one Thai government department (Ministry of Finance) writes to another Thai government department (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) they write in Thai, not in English.

Correct.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, nemo38 said:

I can think of a few reasons why the letter exists, for example the guy invited himself using photoshop. 

Are saying that the letter was really created by someone in the Thai government for a cash pay out and that this is what they are covering up?

Why would the letter end up online anyway? 

Great journalism which made all of this clear as mud in the story.

Why go to damage control if it is a fake?  Why not just let the story die?

Obviously someone is worried somewhere is what I am saying.  Never said anything regarding a cash payout or that the Thai government created it.  

33 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

What is: "the value of $100,000 baht"

Is this a new currency? Or is baht and USD now 1/1?

Probably just another badly worded fake document by someone with nothing to lose and ignorant enough to try. As I mentioned earlier, if the letter was genuine it would be written in Thai.

Personally, I think that if someone tried to get into Thailand using a fake government letter, then they are very lucky the government didn't let them enter Thailand and then arrest them on arrival. Document forgery of this nature carries a five year term of imprisonment, and using a false government seal carries up to seven years imprisonment on top.

In the current climate of absolute public safety, I could well imagine the maximum sentences being imposed, followed by deportation at the expense of the detained person.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Probably just another badly worded fake document by someone with nothing to lose and ignorant enough to try. As I mentioned earlier, if the letter was genuine it would be written in Thai.

Personally, I think that if someone tried to get into Thailand using a fake government letter, then they are very lucky the government didn't let them enter Thailand and then arrest them on arrival. Document forgery of this nature carries a five year term of imprisonment, and using a false government seal carries up to seven years imprisonment on top.

In the current climate of absolute public safety, I could well imagine the maximum sentences being imposed, followed by deportation at the expense of the detained person.

Exactly , a rare example of a non performing seal !

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Letter inviting Egyptian to Bangkok is fake, says Thai finance authority

What they really need is one of those giant vinyl displays...with a couple of police generals conclusively proving that this is actually a fiendishly clever Egyptian romance scam.

Edited by Hayduke

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Maybe for forgeries, but not for those few that want a drink or some food from those that are not closed up.  I was just there on last Saturday and Sunday, none of the back alley boiler rooms were up and running....

There were boiler rooms operating in KSR previously? 

8 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

If it's a fake how did they know the Egyptian's full name, passport number, etc?

????

Based on the OP, it's safe to assume that the Egyptian's visa application was presented to the Thai Embassy with the applicant's details and the fake letter.  Presumably the applicant knew his own personal details.

8 hours ago, nemo38 said:

What is this about? Why would a fake letter inviting a particular Egyptian guy to Thailand be circulating online and why would Thailand's Comptroller General's Department have to step in and say it is a fake?

They didn't do a good job of writing this article.

You didn't do a good job of reading this article.

Someone was trying to make it easier for the Egyptian to get a visa by submitting false supporting documentation, that's what it is about. 

The CGD had to be involved because the letter purported to have been issued by the Ministry of Finance, they said it was fake because it was fake and there were social media reports circulating about it.

Edited by Bob A Kneale