What is proper etiquette with masks in restaurants?

Andy from Kent

OK, as I see it a mask is worn into a restaurant and then we next  go to a table which may or may not have some social distancing precautions in place.

Then as we sit down we take off our mask and then  what??      Shuld  the mask be placed in one's pocket, on the chair, or bench,  or simply thrown on the table to share with all  other guests?

Your thoughts?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tifino said:

Internet Bandwidth could easily be overcome with Replying 'solution' memes for this dilemma  ???? 

open and shut case really...

Sorry to disagree with you but you have not in the least answered   the question I asked in my OP.  

I'm asking what others think is the best thing to do with the required mask one has worn when entering a restaurant.

If you consider the question below you I'll understand your unwillingness to reply.

Edited by Andy from Kent

Common sense surely... 

Enter the restaurant wearing the mask. Use the Hand Sanitiser (which should be on offer at the entrance)

Sit at your table.

Remove mask and place it in your pocket immediately, or wait for the food to arrive. 

After eating, wear your mask again, or wait until you are just about to leave. 

Never put your mask on the table... in much the same way you would never put a used tissue on the table.

I’m not sure why questions like this exist - perhaps because some are so uncouth they would take off their mask and just leave it on the table. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Most restraunts have Egyptians nearby...

Would you find fault with  being overly cautious if you consider it  to be so?

11 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Good question.  But everyone in Thailand seems to do it!

And isn't Thailand one of the lowest impacted countries in the world with Covid-19?

16 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Why would you wear a mask in the open air street anyway...

There's a report in the BBC site pointing out there's over 200 scientists who feel there  remains a case to be made for COVID-19 being an airborne transmitted  disease.      That would certainly be one good reason.

3 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

Would you find fault with  being overly cautious if you consider it  to be so?

And isn't Thailand one of the lowest impacted countries in the world with Covid-19?

There's a report in the BBC site pointing out there's over 200 scientists who feel there  remains a case to be made for COVID-19 being an airborne transmitted  disease.      That would certainly be one good reason.

You want to talk etiquette or science?

• Like 2

Solution.......

When you leave your house----No Mask

When you enter the restaurant----No Mask

When you eat -----No Mask

When you leave the restaurant---No Mask

When you go to a bar after the restaurant----No Mask

When you go home---No Mask

Next day....... Wash Rinse Repeat....... 

Edited by redwood1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:
2 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Depends on a number of variable I suppose. The number and close proximity of others being one I would consider. I would make my own judgement at any particular circumstance. I'm an adult and am fully capable of making my own decisions regarding my personal safety.

Regarding wearing a mask at a restaurant. Some-one, some-where is messing with you. There's no way I'd comply. The whole point of going to a restaurant is to have a pleasant experience. Not a nanny mandated compliance to lack of comfort.

Normally food is ingested orally and secreted anally. No way am I dining out and stuffing food where a monkey stores its nuts.

Edited by alacrity

I wear the mask from the car to the restaurant.  After ordering food I lower it under my chin.  Lift it back up when getting up from the table to leave.  So my pockets stay uncontaminated.  Easy enough.

3 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

When you are inside the restaurant, just put on the mask until the food arrives. 

Then put the mask inside your trousers. Don't put on the table which might be contaminated.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

When i go to a restaurant i don't wear a mask. Eating with a mask would be quite difficult.

Nt-nt...

New normal, you have been told and told. So :

USE A STRAW you have adapted in advance to your mask (precisely please) ! Wash it with chemicals before and after. Ask your meal overcooked (you never know). And passed in a mixer (better not forget this one)...

For your safety.

On 7/17/2020 at 8:58 PM, mojaco said:

I wear the mask from the car to the restaurant.  After ordering food I lower it under my chin.  Lift it back up when getting up from the table to leave.  So my pockets stay uncontaminated.  Easy enough.

That sounds like a very good technique!

On 7/17/2020 at 6:02 PM, Andy from Kent said:

...maybe because everyone wears a mask!

Countries that have the freedumb not to wear a mask seem to be top of the CV-19 league.

As for the question, I wear a mask until seated, once at the table I take off, put in my pocket. I put it back on again after paying the bill and am about to leave.

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 1