Stranded

graham67

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Would like for my daughter to be able and get back here to visit since it is summer in the US and she is out of school, but then to much red tape for repatriation and such and then they would frown on her going back to the US once school starts in September.  Of course there are those that have family here, and family abroad, that can neither get here or if they went there would not get back here.  Balancing act on the blade of the sword for us all.  

If they suddenly opened up the borders and inbound flights, I promise you that tourists from the US won't be allowed to enter. 

14 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

If they suddenly opened up the borders and inbound flights, I promise you that tourists from the US won't be allowed to enter. 

Your right about tourists from the US, but she has dual citizenship Max. If she wanted to and if her mother would let her she could repatriate to stay here with me, but then why would she. 

6 hours ago, Gee Ku said:

You can't own a house in Thailand, Dutch farang! So don't bs the Thai immigration about owning a house here.

You can own the house, you just can't directly own the land.  Many here built a house on a long term lease that extends much farther than our projected remaining life span.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2020 at 9:43 PM, steven100 said:

there are worse places to be stranded .......   Victoria,  Australia :whistling:

I am "stranded" in Melbourne, Victoria. It is not that bad for me at least since I have a comfortable place to call home, and a good internet connection, etc etc etc. I don't really miss Thailand all that much but I really do miss my Thai partner who is stranded in Bangkok. I also slightly miss the condo pool but not as much.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2020 at 12:28 PM, david555 said:

See the bright side to it ….. at least you are not in England ????

I'm stuck in the UK - but on the bright side, I can pretty much buy alcohol 24/7 and alcohol is not banned for sale on holidays or by government decree ! (Thankfully)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/24/2020 at 6:10 PM, graham67 said:

Sorry to disappoint you quiet man

I'm English living in holland and when possible thailand

he was spot on on the comment that you are not missing out,

lest you are freezing over there, this is a dead place now

Edited by scammed

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I'm stuck in the UK - but on the bright side, I can pretty much buy alcohol 24/7 and alcohol is not banned for sale on holidays or by government decree ! (Thankfully)

I'am stuck in Thailand and can pretty much buy alcohol 24/7.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, steevjee said:

I'm in Victoria and you need to do more research, there are only a handful of (mainly ethnic) suburbs in Northern and Western Melbourne that have larger quantities of Covid, with one Islamic College alone accounting for nearly 200 infections, the rest of Melbourne and Victoria are doing just fine with little or no infections but the Victorian Government is (rightly) super strict so they put the whole state under lock down.

At least here we tell the truth about actual Covid deaths and dont falsely record them as Influenza or Pneumonia deaths like many dishonest Governments in your region are doing

The only good thing to come out of Victoria is the highway north bound  :jap:

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Dont think the UK and Netherlands are that different both have a crappy climate. 

Even crappy climates have better and different/worse levels...????.

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Dont think the UK and Netherlands are that different both have a crappy climate. 

Crappy? Different types of weather and the 4 seasons is crappy? The worst climate in the world is right here, but if you enjoy sweating and 365 days a year of exactly the same weather then crack on. Do you know there is no such thing as weather men/girls here, they just made one recording one time and just repeat that every day. Erh, today will be hot and sunny, goodbye.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Crappy? Different types of weather and the 4 seasons is crappy? The worst climate in the world is right here, but if you enjoy sweating and 365 days a year of exactly the same weather then crack on. Do you know there is no such thing as weather men/girls here, they just made one recording one time and just repeat that every day. Erh, today will be hot and sunny, goodbye.

Love the weather here in Thailand, I do have a few jumpers in the closet for the colder months though.

Edited by Don Mega

3 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Opinions differ sorry i prefer the weather in Thailand over the Netherlands and UK otherwise i would have left long ago. 

If you keep abreast of world events, and do a little bit of research, it was quite easy to  see what was coming. Epidemiologists were already predicting that Covid-19 would go global in the middle of January. I had already decided to put off buying my UK ticket by the end of January, and a week later i was advising my grown-up kids in the UK to stock up with emergency supplies. My Thai sister-in-law was coming to Thailand on holiday in February, i advised her that Thailand would be open until the end of February and was comparatively safe up in Isaan, but that it would probably impose some entry controls in March, plus flights would be unreliable. Sure enough, her boyfriend returned end of February but she stayed on - flight cancelled 4 days before she was meant to leave in March. She is still here ......

Nearly every country has been late in imposing controls - once you have a 1000 infections a day you are not going to stop it without draconian control measures. Thailand's reaction has been a bit OTT, but now without community transmission they have a dilemma - open and experience waves of infections, or stay closed.

Covid-19 is not going away this year, or probably next. When will Thailand reopen fully? I think about 14-15 months - and that will be driven by economics in the end, not health experts. We have all seen what happens if you reopen early or pretend it is 'only a bit of flu'. By the end of this year probably about a million dead - but eventually shutdown economies and services will actually kill more. We will learn to live with Covid-19 - but not until 2021.

On 7/25/2020 at 11:50 AM, Senior Player said:

I'm afraid, like everybody else wanting to travel abroad, you're just going to have to wait patiently for this madness to end.

It is Thai madness so do not hold your breath waiting for logic, sanity, or even basic common sense to prevail.

On 7/25/2020 at 12:15 PM, Gee Ku said:

You can't own a house in Thailand, Dutch farang! So don't bs the Thai immigration about owning a house here.

You CAN own a house, but NOT the land its on. Another example of Thai madness, just where else would anyone put a house!