Wet Tyres.

Just in general, what can we realistically expect from tires on the wet?

In my condominium parking entrance they have printed a lane in some blue color. When it's wet, even a little, 10% throttle seems to be enough to slip on that paint. I hate it! Is that normal?

• Haha 2

I have ridden through a puddle, then very soon after 2 wheel drifted a Vespa .????

Not related but I've always though Dunlops were better in the rain?

Bridgestone website has or used to have a circle like diagram for their tires under different conditions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah all good but in certain conditions not good,  that's why the choice. 

SLOW DOWN. Maybe some Thais might even learn from your example.{ I said Maybe} Thais are reluctant to lose face by losing their Gold Medal performance as world champions of death on the roads.

9 hours ago, gazza4 said:

SLOW DOWN. Maybe some Thais might even learn from your example.{ I said Maybe} Thais are reluctant to lose face by losing their Gold Medal performance as world champions of death on the roads.

The UK motorcycle restricted system is a good thing although I would of hated it myself. ????

As for wet tyres they are available for racing but you still have to slow down.

I've had pretty decent experiences in the wet with (sport) touring tires from Pirelli, Metzeler and Michelin. As mentioned already the stock Dunlops on my Honda were pretty crappy. Just look for tires which explicitly say they are supposed to have good wet performance. A high silica content is sometimes mentioned.

That being said, riding in the wet is dangerous as hell no matter your tires. Keep the speed down. I've had too many slides where afterwards I was surprised I stayed up. Buttclench mak mak.

9 hours ago, papa al said:

... damn straight !

Yea, going straight is much safer in the wet!

Edited by eisfeld

On 7/25/2020 at 10:34 PM, gazza4 said:

Nice, you managed to get a poke in at thais there with out even adressing the the question.

• Like 1

On a car it doesn't matter. More important to have enough tread. But on bikes I for sure would avoid those cheap hard tyres that's going to slip so easy on the road. Usually original tyres are bad. Good tyresnyiu going to change more often though because good grip is more soft. 

• Like 1

It is hard to choose tires from the top brands and it depends also what kind of driver you are, and the bike. But Metzeler have become a favorite of mine, and pricewise quite good. (metzeler owned by pirelli) 

Revzilla is good places to watch reviews of tires omong more channels. 

However cant go wrong if you study a bit, and know what you want, and when choosing some of the top brands, it is all in your head when it comes to how you feel. Still need to slow down in wet weather, and also have a safety margin for oil, diesel and other obstacles that could appear in the road that makes it slippery. 

• Like 1