Obesity increases risks of death from COVID-19 - Public Health England

rooster59

Something I do not understand, when you go to  pub and get too drunk the bar man wont serve you, but but big fatty goes to McD they never refuse to serve you. Maybe rather than putting silly bans of ads and calories on meals they should have bmi machines or something in take aways and restaurants and if your too fat or heavy you get the salad option or the door

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The days when the UK could righteously point the accusative finger at obesity in the US are long gone, and if you open your eyes you’ll see Thailand isn’t far behind.

See many really  huge  people on motorcycles  now spilling over the sides as they go through the  village

2 hours ago, TooBigToFit said:

First, Robblok, you have posted for years on here about your health. How about posting a pic of your abs.

You were 'fit' years ago. By now you should be running 100 mile non-stop 36-hour races if you're really healthy. It's as easy for every fit person to work harder to run a marathon as it is a fat person to lose weight. So why do so few settle for less than marathon-level health? Hell, I'd say it's as easy for a fit person to rise to near Olympic level in their weight-lifting for their weight class as it is for a fat person to lose weight. How could it ever be any harder for you to go further than it is for a fat person? It's all the same laws of science plus simple willpower. Why have so many given up with a pseudo-'fit' level in improving your health when you can have maximum fitness? Anyways, Let's see those ab shots  from the know-it-all fit folks on here. You can post your health blog links or youtube health advice channel links too. 

Fat people fight on! You know how hard it is dealing with your situation. Don't let clueless people who are full of themselves put you down.  You are human and deserve dignity!

Recently posted a pic already go and look for it. (will make you look in the I'm to fat forum). I was fat lost 25 kg so i know what being fat is. I just changed. SO many of us have changed and kept the fat off but it only works if your willing to change.

I am fit but not a runner, never said I was. I am a weight lifter and do some cardio. 

You make some pretty strange statements without any backup. 

Fact remains every obese person can lose weight if they want but almost none want to really do it. Not sure why i incurred your wrath as I made no bad remarks about obese persons at all. Just said that being fat is a choice (and it is). 

There is enough advice online already on losing weight. The problem is most fat people don't want to change their life. They want to keep eating and drinking what they like. Not my problem, their life their body. Just don't say you can't as everyone can.

But I won't force anyone to ever lose weight, its a personal thing. Forcing someone to lose weight is just stupid.

Now tell me what part of my post got you so rattled ?

Your too big to fit in a plane seat ?

Edited by robblok
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

They should and add ciggies.

All killing millions more then Covid ever will.

But that is self inflicted so a choice. Bad choices should be available. I eat health (and boring) most of the time but once in a while i order bad foods too.

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Something I do not understand, when you go to  pub and get too drunk the bar man wont serve you, but but big fatty goes to McD they never refuse to serve you. Maybe rather than putting silly bans of ads and calories on meals they should have bmi machines or something in take aways and restaurants and if your too fat or heavy you get the salad option or the door

Make the doorways really narrow..

@TooBigToFit

Many in today's media will now tell you that you should accept your body for what it is. It's fate, and there is nothing you can do about it. It's a good thing to be unhealthy and to live in what amounts to serious physical and emotional pain. Obesity is abusive to our health no matter how hard we try to accept it and love it. Obesity has no interest in being our friend. Its only interest is to kill us slowly.

In the spirit of martyrdom, we began to champion something that kills people every single day. And to what effect? Is it because we've become so fragile and simple-minded that we can no longer handle constructive criticism? Is it really too difficult for us to put in just a little bit of extra time to get our bodies healthy? It's precisely why the sheep shouldn't speak. We've resorted to dispelling science in an effort to protect our fragile egos. We've attached emotion to science when they mix just about as well as oil and water.

https://www.elitefts.com/education/nutrition/dietary-science/the-pandemic-nobody-wants-to-acknowledge/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

They don't stop you drinking because its bad for you but because you might start driving a car or doing something else stupid. Not because its bad for your liver or brain. The reason is not general health but bringing down accidents and violence.

• Like 1

This doesn't seem to be that much of an additional risk as they don't quantify what the 'normal' baseline risk actually is.

I will explain - the difference in the 'risk of death' is between 40% and 90% greater for the merely chubby all the way up to the morbidly obese.

40% to 90% of what exactly?

If the current risk is 1 in 10,000 (I read that somewhere) that means the risk jumps to a maximum of 2 in 10,000 for the fattest person alive. This suggests that nearly all of the obese will survive a COVID infection, but slightly more will die. It's nothing more than a distraction to make everyone feel a little bit better.

In reality that's not so much of a change. It's so negligible that in the grand scheme of things it will make almost no difference.

What about the vast majority of non overweight people who are dying from this? Surely that's the number one line of investigation here? They should be concentrating on that instead of wasting time on the this small minority of cases.

Edited by ukrules

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

People who are obese or overweight are at increased risk of death or severe illness from COVID-19,

no wonder the  number of deaths is steadily increasing in some countries with widespread obesity

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

Antibody data deals new blow to herd immunity hopes

If only there was some kind of mechanism built into the immune system that very quickly makes new antibodies as soon as a previously seen virus is detected ????????????

They're called B lymphocytes.

15 hours ago, robblok said:

I guess there will always be anti maskers

Which one do you suggest they wear?

Life must be a joy when you can be so knowledgeable and judgemental ???? 

image.png.47813a9715c2f6f4ab2d15a8180da8a2.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

Antibody data deals new blow to herd immunity hopes

Actually what I don't understand is Asia's obsession about a vaccine.

Vaccination for influenza starts in September, supposedly lasts 6 months, but as time goes by, the extra immunity acquired fades away.

Does this not start to sound similar?

Not to mention that:

According to a Feb. 21 CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, the current influenza vaccine has been 45% effective overall against 2019-2020 seasonal influenza A and B viruses. Specifically, the flu vaccine has been 50% effective against influenza B/Victoria viruses and 37% effective against influenza A(H1N1)pdm09.Feb 26, 2020 https://www.aafp.org/news/health-of-the-public/20200226interimfluve.html

And not to mention that many, myself included, will never get a vaccine for sars-cov-2, just like i did not get one for influenza. Ever.

Eat healthy, go to gym, stay fit.

So can someone explain to me, why some countries are deluded, and supposedly are waiting for vaccines to reopen and so on?

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

I was amazed of how many people in the USA were obese , but with the super sizing

of their meals, I could see why. Only in LA and San Diego did I see lots

of fit people, except for the tourists who were visiting from other places.  It will be 

interesting to see how many obese people do expire from covid, and their other

underlying illnesses. I am not skinny either, 97 kg,  However I have lost 10 kgs so

far and plan to lose another 10 before Winter.  I see that in Europe and even on my

trips to Thailand, I feel very slim compared to a lot of tourists and expats I have seen

around Thailand, in Bangkok, Cha Am, Hua Hin, and Pattaya areas.  Good thing that

Thailand did not have too many people get infected by the corona virus. Dengue and

Malaria <deleted> bad enough. Good Luck to all the over weight people as well as the others

as I have seen a few of my friends die of this virus, as well as some who have recovered, who

have told me that it is one virus that you do not want to get.

Geezer

• Like 2

23 hours ago, rooster59 said:

People who are obese or overweight are at increased risk of death or severe illness from COVID-19, a report by Public Health England (PHE) said on Saturday as the government prepares to introduce measures to confront the problem.

What a surprise, NOT.

I said that ages ago, in a possible explanation of why so many Americans and Britons are dying of Corona.

Will most obese people now take measures to become slim and healthy- doubt it.

5 hours ago, lkv said:

Actually what I don't understand is Asia's obsession about a vaccine.

Vaccination for influenza starts in September, supposedly lasts 6 months, but as time goes by, the extra immunity acquired fades away.

Does this not start to sound similar?

<snip>

So can someone explain to me, why some countries are deluded, and supposedly are waiting for vaccines to reopen and so on?

Don't know why you single out Asia for a vaccine obsession. It's world wide.

The flu vaccine ceases to work once the virus mutates.

IMO countries are waiting for the ( may never happen ) vaccine because they have nothing else. They've locked everyone down- no herd immunity, and would have to admit they were wrong to destroy economies if they have to accept reality, and do 1918 type policies.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

People that think slim people in the world have more will-power than others are nuts. Many people do nothing at they stay thin. It's also true that many fat people put on weight much more easily than others. Each person is very different metabolically. Those who think why don't they just lose the weight are well stupid. You might have lost a few kilos but you really know nothing. Even people who have lost massive amounts of weight on TV shows put it back on. Yes, it would be better if most people were fit. No one chooses to be unfit, fat or sick but some dumb people believe this is true.

My point about a fit person just needing to use that same willpower a fat person does to become a super athlete is totally logical unless you believe what I believe which is people are physicially and metabolically different inside. If you believe fat people are lazy, well you're lazy. You could be that Olympic-level athlete if you get off you lazy fit ass.