Obesity increases risks of death from COVID-19 - Public Health England

rooster59

Anyways, of course fat people want change. That's why billions are spent every year on fitness clubs and the rest. Don't compare your situation to theirs. It makes you sound like a jerk. Give them support but stop putting them down.

Edited by TooBigToFit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, robblok said:

Poor obese people, no wonder that its killing so many in the USA and a lot less in Thailand.

I want to bet people wont try to lose weight. I mean people know that smoking kills but they keep doing it too. 

But most people did stop smoking because of the dangers.Why should it be different for obesity?

18 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Your heart rate slows with age.

No it doesn't.There are some differences in connection with exercise - doesn't reach the level of younger people and takes longer to revert to normal.But the heart rate itself doesn't slow down.

11 minutes ago, jayboy said:

But most people did stop smoking because of the dangers.Why should it be different for obesity?

Im not so sure that most people stopped smoking. In my family i had a few that tried countless times and never could stop. So not everyone stops smoking. I am not sure what would be harder stopping to smoke or stopping to eat unhealthy. 

I guess obese people see the risks as manageable. 

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Im not so sure that most people stopped smoking. In my family i had a few that tried countless times and never could stop. So not everyone stops smoking. I am not sure what would be harder stopping to smoke or stopping to eat unhealthy. 

I guess obese people see the risks as manageable. 

Also because there is not a clear line. You either smoke or don't smoke, but there are different gradients for being obese. Plus more difficult to assess.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jayboy said:

I am sure.The statistics are there for all to see.Obviously there is still a significant minority who still smoke but that percentage has been declining each year for decades.

What I'm less sure about is what it will take to curb obesity.My hunch is that it will take strong government action as was the case with smoking. One rarely reported factor is the correlation between social class and obesity.Even in London one can see the dramatic difference in size of people in the richer and poorer parts. I attended a very large gathering a few years ago - as a guest (I'm a state school boy) - of of parents and old boys of a well known independent school in Dorset.There wasn't a fatty among them.More recently I was at a supermarket in a poorer part of Manchester - the aisles were almost blocked by startlingly large people and their startlingly large offspring.My point is that successful people don't want to be fat.I'm guessing that in curbing obesity as much emphasis needs to be placed on how uncool it is as the health dangers.

Yes it has something to do with class too. Money too as healthy food can cost more. I do know that my salad in the evening is more expensive then some pre made food you can buy on the street or 711. 

It will probably need strong action from governments. But forcing people to do things never really works. Not when its about food and diet. I never force anyone to do so as I know it wont work. Change must come because someone wants to change otherwise it really wont work. 

Change should also be permanent, too many people think that they can lose some weight and then go back to what they ate before they lost weight. That is the main problem it needs to be a total change of lifestyle. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jayboy said:

I am sure.The statistics are there for all to see.Obviously there is still a significant minority who still smoke but that percentage has been declining each year for decades.

What I'm less sure about is what it will take to curb obesity.My hunch is that it will take strong government action as was the case with smoking. One rarely reported factor is the correlation between social class and obesity.Even in London one can see the dramatic difference in size of people in the richer and poorer parts. I attended a very large gathering a few years ago - as a guest (I'm a state school boy) - of of parents and old boys of a well known independent school in Dorset.There wasn't a fatty among them.More recently I was at a supermarket in a poorer part of Manchester - the aisles were almost blocked by startlingly large people and their startlingly large offspring.My point is that successful people don't want to be fat.I'm guessing that in curbing obesity as much emphasis needs to be placed on how uncool it is as the health dangers.

Correct observation, wrong conclusion.

There is a correlation between poverty and obesity, but there are also correlations between poverty, obesity and depression.

There are also demonstrated links between the food choices people make when food is hard to obtain (for example because of poverty) and strong evolution/survival arguments as to why people facing difficulty obtaining food would choose high energy food when available.

And for those who find that difficult to accept there is the fact that fast food companies target areas of deprecation and poverty to open their outlets.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/kfc-mcdonalds-target-poor-fast-5705820

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Correct observation, wrong conclusion.

There is a correlation between poverty and obesity, but there are also correlations between poverty, obesity and depression.

There are also demonstrated links between the food choices people make when food is hard to obtain (for example because of poverty) and strong evolution/survival arguments as to why people facing difficulty obtaining food would choose high energy food when available.

And for those who find that difficult to accept there is the fact that fast food companies target areas of deprecation and poverty to open their outlets.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/kfc-mcdonalds-target-poor-fast-5705820

Not denying this at all, but we are not just mindless robots. If someone really wants they can change. Its not easy that is for sure. My brother is now diabetic and has to stop with a lot of foods. He can do it (reluctantly) complaining his life is less fun now he cant eat what he wants. He was always a skinny guy could eat what he wanted but but in the end it caught up with him.

I stay convinced its a matter of priorities, though poverty will make it harder. But honestly many just don't want to change. They prefer the cheap (and often tasty) fast food and see it as a pleasure to eat (i understand that if taco bell was healthy id be eating it every day ????)

I just at some point hated looking in the mirror watching my fat body and changed. Its a choice that needs to be made (not forced). Only when you really want it can you lose the weight. Everyone can do it (except extremely rare cases medical ect). 

People should just not buy processed foods and go for mainly unprocessed foods and cut out sugar. Then you can do whatever you want high carb low carb keto whatever. But just changing from processed to not processed food and leaving sugar out will give good results with most people. First weeks are the hardest and this should be a permanent lifestyle choice. Going back to the bad foods will result in failure. 

• Like 1

I am not sure it's poverty. The KFC and McDonald's casts more than the street food noodles or rice dishes, and buying fresh ingredients from the market is way cheaper.

The poor people I see here are skinny. It's the middle classes that are fatter.

When I can here 20 plus there were hardly any fat Thai people

Now when I go out I would say the thin ones are in the minority. Even fat young children now...god knows how big they will get to be as they reach middle age! 

It's can't be alcohol making them fat...as years ago people still drank the same amount. Also more people smoked than today.

What I see has changed is now there are lots of fast food places. Only 2 when I first came to CM. Now lost count. 

Also processed food...7/11 junk and shopping mall snacks. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I stay convinced its a matter of priorities, though poverty will make it harder. But honestly many just don't want to change. They prefer the cheap (and often tasty) fast food and see it as a pleasure to eat (i understand that if taco bell was healthy id be eating it every day ????)

Correct. I love bad food, as it's yummy. I won't eat healthy because it's unappetising and not tasty. My only hope is that science can come up with a pill that allows us to eat whatever we like but blocks absorption of calories.

In summer I don't put on weight because I do a lot of physical work. In winter, unfortunately I do. I try to keep it to one yummy meal a day and fruit for breakfast.

42 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I am not sure it's poverty. The KFC and McDonald's casts more than the street food noodles or rice dishes, and buying fresh ingredients from the market is way cheaper.

The poor people I see here are skinny. It's the middle classes that are fatter.

When I can here 20 plus there were hardly any fat Thai people

Now when I go out I would say the thin ones are in the minority. Even fat young children now...god knows how big they will get to be as they reach middle age! 

It's can't be alcohol making them fat...as years ago people still drank the same amount. Also more people smoked than today.

What I see has changed is now there are lots of fast food places. Only 2 when I first came to CM. Now lost count. 

Also processed food...7/11 junk and shopping mall snacks. 

It's sugar. It's in everything now.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Correct. I love bad food, as it's yummy. I won't eat healthy because it's unappetising and not tasty. My only hope is that science can come up with a pill that allows us to eat whatever we like but blocks absorption of calories.

In summer I don't put on weight because I do a lot of physical work. In winter, unfortunately I do. I try to keep it to one yummy meal a day and fruit for breakfast.

Dont think that I am any different then you if there was a pil like that id take it too and eat <deleted> food. I like the unhealthy food more then the healthy food. Though its not as if I hate eating healthy. But some of the bad food is just more tasty.

But I just made a choice and i stick with it. That is what i mean with priorities. I feel everyone should be free to make that choice. I don't look down on people who are obese. Their choice not mine. I only have problem with those saying that it can't be changed. That is simply not true.

Eating healthy can also make you look like a boring person. I constantly have to explain I don't like the taste of alcohol and that i prefer not to drink as it would only get me fat. So there is also peer pressure the other way around.

16 minutes ago, robblok said:

Dont think that I am any different then you if there was a pil like that id take it too and eat <deleted> food. I like the unhealthy food more then the healthy food. Though its not as if I hate eating healthy. But some of the bad food is just more tasty.

But I just made a choice and i stick with it. That is what i mean with priorities. I feel everyone should be free to make that choice. I don't look down on people who are obese. Their choice not mine. I only have problem with those saying that it can't be changed. That is simply not true.

Eating healthy can also make you look like a boring person. I constantly have to explain I don't like the taste of alcohol and that i prefer not to drink as it would only get me fat. So there is also peer pressure the other way around.

You are neglecting the influence of marketing on the choices people make. 

People do not make choices in a vacuum, they are influenced by marketing, the idea of 'free to make a choice' is nonsense when the food industry is spending vast sums on advertising to bend the choices people make. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, n00dle said:

I understan anti vax, now why do you add the "free ride"?

I think it's because of the different types of anti-vaxers. 

Type 1 say vaccines are dangerous for you and no one should be vaccinated.
Type 2 say they will not personally be vaccinated but they want everyone around them to be vaccinated so they'll be protected by the herd's immunity.

The free-riders would be of type 2.  

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I won't eat healthy because it's unappetising and not tasty.

Nonsense, I cook most of what I eat from scratch and it is very easy to create healthy, tasty meals.

All it takes is a bit of forethought and preparation, now if that’s too complicated, then keep on hand a variety of spices and herbs (dried) and you can eat in a manner that is balanced, enjoyable and won’t be a factor that could ruin your health. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/26/2020 at 11:07 AM, innosiem said:

again your mental gymnastics are astonishing 
i have never been anti-vax
i have never needed to voice a concern until talk of mandatory rushed to market vax became an issue recently
i am quite happy for them to be produced and for people like yourself to use them
that is not "anti-vax"
if you cannot use correct terminology,

how do you ever expect people to understand your point, if or when you will ever have one ?

i was never worried about obese people taking up hospital beds
i simply made a point based on logic according to current measures and current narratives being pushed by people like yourself
and you conveniently forget, the flood would be anything but normal if the narrative is correct

then you end with the ad-homiens after not making a single point????‍♂️

and you clearly have forgot about Sweden, who did not have lock downs or other draconian measures to "flatten the curve"????‍♂️

sweden.png.c5d00eb8a42efc5547e1258aeb0a8562.png
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

Sounds to me that you are anti vax

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Though its not as if I hate eating healthy. But some of the bad food is just more tasty.

Healthy food can take longer to prepare, you speak of health food being 'bland', I think this is what you said earlier but this is not my experience.

If you take the time to prepare it then something like a steak, chopped red, green and yellow bell pepper, onions and say one of them large portobello mushrooms all either grilled, roasted and/or fried in butter is just about as healthy as it gets. The giant mushroom being a substitute for a couple of carb laden potatoes.

The above is one example which might not fit whatever it is you're aiming for, it might be a very bad fit but that mushroom swapped with a couple of scoops of mashed potato makes all the difference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Nonsense, I cook most of what I eat from scratch and it is very easy to create healthy, tasty meals.

All it takes is a bit of forethought and preparation, now if that’s too complicated, then keep on hand a variety of spices and herbs (dried) and you can eat in a manner that is balanced, enjoyable and won’t be a factor that could ruin your health. 

Actually simply cooking for yourself guarantees that your food will be heathier, no matter what it is you are cooking (within reason obviously) as you have contol over what goes into your body and you can adjust your eating accordingly

• Like 1

5 hours ago, robblok said:

If you are exercising and roughly limiting calories to match your energy expenditure, its pretty hard to get fat no matter what you eat.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Actually simply cooking for yourself guarantees that your food will be heathier, no matter what it is you are cooking (within reason obviously) as you have contol over what goes into your body and you can adjust your eating accordingly

My post was aimed at the posters implication that healthy food isn’t tasty, but yes I agree it’s way healthier  to cook food from scratch yourself  

23 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

better for flyers with no fattys sitting each side .nothing worse than fattys on board spreading into your zone

Oh .. you are incorrect .. One thing is a lot worse ... plane crash with two fattys sitting each side!

I am not sure Tubby Johnson’s launch of “eat out to help out” will compliment his “lose 5 lbs to save the NHS (£ make up any number you want). 

I would suspect as most of the fast food retailers are involved it will be another unhealthy meal to add to the ones they are already having for some. 

Just seen Jamie Oliver in an interview re healthy eating and even he looks like he has put on a couple of chins in the last few months. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I am not sure Tubby Johnson’s launch of “eat out to help out” will compliment his “lose 5 lbs to save the NHS (£ make up any number you want). 

I would suspect as most of the fast food retailers are involved it will be another unhealthy meal to add to the ones they are already having for some. 

Just seen Jamie Oliver in an interview re healthy eating and even he looks like he has put on a couple of chins on the last few months. 

The eat out scheme is not very good, I checked my postcode today and not many places are taking part. Wimpy is one of them and an Indian restaurant was another, most of the places I've never heard of.

A whopping 2/3rds of the covid deaths are fatties in the UK, they are some proper horrible sights wobbling around.

Edited by tribalfusion001

1 minute ago, tribalfusion001 said:

The eat out scheme is not very good, I checked my postcode today and not many places are taking part. Wimpy is one of them and an Indian restaurant was another, most of the places I've nevr heard of.

A whopping 2/3rds of the covid deaths are fatties in the UK, they are some proper horrible sights wobbling around.

Really? I thought all the big boys were in. I know Toby are cos they have sent me an email to say so but they can shove it as they now want to serve the food themselves due to COVID. 

Who wants to go for Carvery and be served? Defeats The whole point. Mind you, prob be the way now for all these places as they have the Obesity argument to back them up. 

Yeah 5lb ain’t gonna make a dent in some of these people, 5kg would be better but you gotta start somewhere I guess.