Thai tourist arrivals slump 66% year-on-year in Jan-June amid pandemic

webfact

Thai tourist arrivals slump 66% year-on-year in Jan-June amid pandemic

2020-07-29T023849Z_1_LYNXNPEG6S03H_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-COROANVIRUS-THAILAND-TOURISM.JPG

FILE PHOTO: General view of the almost empty Khaosan Road, which is usually crowded with tourists, during the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Bangkok, Thailand, May 22, 2020. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand recorded no foreign tourist arrivals and spending for a third straight month in June, as borders remained closed amid the pandemic, with a 66% year-on-year drop in the January-June period to 6.69 million visitors, tourism ministry data showed.

In January-June, spending by foreign tourists was 332 billion baht ($10.54 billion), down 65% from a year earlier.

The tourism-reliant country, which had a record 39.8 million tourist arrivals last year, imposed a ban on incoming passenger flights in April, when it first recorded zero foreign visitors.

In June 2019 alone, there were 3.05 million foreign tourists who spent about 131 billion baht ($4.14 billion).

Thailand will extend a state of emergency until the end of August to control the coronavirus outbreak, although there has been no local virus transmission recorded for more than two months.

The central bank has forecast the number of foreign tourists will plunge 80% this year to 8 million. Last year, spending by foreign visitors accounted for 11.4% of gross domestic product.

(Reporting by Orathai Sriring; Editing by Ed Davies)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-07-29

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Another figure plucked from the sky I would have said at least 85%

You're forgetting that the borders were not closed in Jan and Feb (Chinese New Year) and I'm sure that the arrivals in late December that left in January will also be included in statistics.....

Seems right to me

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Khun Rob said:

I just returned to Australia and have done the figures on returning next year. To comply with the current entry requirements the absolute minimum cost will be around 80,000 Baht if i can find a flight into Thailand for $1000.

I dont see anyone bothering to do that, particularly tourists or teachers. I will be handing my Permanent Residency book back after 15 yrs of paying through the nose to keep it, the wife has said enough.

You won't be alone.

• Like 2

Why is that every time you get stats from the govt. they are absolute b*ll<deleted>. How difficult is it for somebody to use a spreadsheet?

Spending 332 billion baht by 6.69 million visitors would be an average spend per person of 49,626 baht, hardly likely. Decimal point in the wrong place yet again?

• Like 2

Do not foreseen any inbound tourist this year although for some strange reason TAT has started advertising Thailand Tourism on British Television perhaps they know something others don't. Regarding spending per capita for myself this amounted to about 150,000 Bht per month including accommodate self catering 3 star

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Let the Thai public soak those figures right in and deep, watching their economy going down the gurgler fast as it was reported that 90% of Thai people would have liked for all foreigners to be booted out... soak in in guys...

Very few average Thai,unless already effected, understand the longer term implications of those figures and how it will still impact on parts of the economy not directly tourist related. It will only be when that happens and their pick up etc is repossessed that it will dawn on them. One of the issues of a poor education 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 86Tiger said:

There is going to be zero foreign tourists for balance of 2020.  So the number is now what it will be then.  Hope is not going to put baht in the bank.

This will not buff out....

I would reckon it’s more 86% and the usual rhetoric will be overflowing from TAT as Major recession hits

• Haha 1