NYC – BKK in Oct: What’s wrong with this plan?

NYC – BKK in Oct: What’s wrong with this plan?

First,  I notice that there ARE flights now on Qatar and JAL.  I book business (in case it matters) with points (so it’s refundable).

Second, I apply for an Elite Visa.  They tell me it will take about a month.

Third, I book an ASQ for expected date of JAL arrival (reservation changeable).

Fourth, I jump through preparatory hoops (CofE, insurance, test,) when asked.

What am I missing?  (Besides a lot of baht)?

• Like 1

These flights are pretty much all speculative right now and even if they're operating who knows if inbound passengers are allowed to board them unless organized by the Thai Government. Right now it's not possible as I understand it. Even with these certificates in hand you can't just hop on any flight bound for Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, habuspasha said:

...Fourth, I jump through preparatory hoops (CofE, insurance, test,) when asked...

Based on current regulations, you must start the execution of your plan with what you listed as your fourth step, ie get in touch with the Thai embassy.

• Like 2

"First,  I notice that there ARE flights now on Qatar and JAL.  I book business (in case it matters) with points (so it’s refundable)."

Flight booking is the last part of the process as it stands for now.

The flights you see on the booking websites are not flying passengers in - only cargo.

You could book those flights for months and every single one of them got cancelled with the exception of repatriation flights that were arranged by the Thai embassy, just one month in advance.

e.g. this month you can only book repatriation flights for August.

The September repat flights schedule is still unknown and has not been published.

The repat flights can only be purchased at the contracted by the embassy travel agencies or at special links for specific flights established by the contracted airlines.

• Like 1

Flights - Nobody let in except for repatriation flights, yet.

Thailand Elite-Has announced elite (PE) visa holders can be let in Thailand in principle, but the details have not been worked out. Also at some point they mail you a welcome package and a card, but you are not an "elite visa holder" until you arrive at the airport in Thailand when the Immigration officer affixes the visa sticker. Can a member with an approved application, fully paid, be issued a COE by a Thai Consul or Embassy?

I cant get a straight answer on that.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Flights - Nobody let in except for repatriation flights yet.

Thailand Elite-Has announced elite (PE) visa holders can be let in Thailand in principle, but the details 

have not been worked out. Also at some point they mail you a welcome package and a card, but you are not an "elite visa holder" until you arrive at the airport in Thailand when the Immigration officer affixes the visa sticker.Can a member with an approved application, fully paid, be issued a COE by a Thai Consul or Embassy?

I cant get a straight answer on that.

It sure would be a kick in the balls to the new Elite card recipients if it was decided that they don’t qualify.

Edited by TimBKK

17 minutes ago, TimBKK said:

It sure would be a kick in the balls to the new Elite card recipients if it was decided that they don’t qualify.

Thailand Elite has a refund policy in case your visa hasn't been affixed yet.

From what I understand the language in all publications has always been about existing Thailand Elite Visa holders and not Thailand Elite members. This exception was designed to help those with an established base in Thailand to get back into the country, not to provide a backdoor for those outside Thailand to use TE and slide in. But hey, stranger things have happened and money talks.

In any case the visa has to be affixed in Thailand either at an immigration office or at the airport upon arrival. Before that happens one is just a member with a plastic card (scrap) and if the rules are no flights to TH without a valid visa/waiver this would be a catch 22 unless an Embassy would issue a tourist visa for a prospective TE visa holder. More red tape!

Edited by FlyingThai
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FlyingThai said:

Thailand Elite has a refund policy in case your visa hasn't been affixed yet.

From what I understand the language in all publications has always been about existing Thailand Elite Visa holders and not Thailand Elite members. This exception was designed to help those with an established base in Thailand to get back into the country, not to provide a backdoor for those outside Thailand to use TE and slide in. But hey, stranger things have happened and money talks.

In any case the visa has to be affixed in Thailand either at an immigration office or at the airport upon arrival. Before that happens one is just a member with a plastic card (scrap) and if the rules are no flights to TH without a valid visa/waiver this would be a catch 22 unless an Embassy would issue a tourist visa for a prospective TE visa holder. More red tape!

Thats interesting about a potential refund - I kinda shudder at how difficult that process might be though.  

Its pretty much an exercise in frustration or futility now, because there is no clear guidance.  

Speaking of flights, I am trying to get out of LOS.  I booked with Singapore Airlines(BKK-SIN-NRT-LAX).

1.  Sep 2020-Canceled

2. Oct 2020-Canceled

3. Dec 2020-Unknown at this point.  Purchasing and paying for an international airline ticket at this time means “ABSOLUTELY NOTHING”.  

This takes the definition of “being flexible” to a whole new level.  Also, Singapore airlines is now quoting 16 weeks to get a refund if they cancel your flight.  Welcome to the new normal.  I guess this means “nothing is certain until you board the plane”.  

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

Speaking of flights, I am trying to get out of LOS.  I booked with Singapore Airlines(BKK-SIN-NRT-LAX).

1.  Sep 2020-Canceled

2. Oct 2020-Canceled

3. Dec 2020-Unknown at this point.  Purchasing and paying for an international airline ticket at this time means “ABSOLUTELY NOTHING”.  

This takes the definition of “being flexible” to a whole new level.  Also, Singapore airlines is now quoting 16 weeks to get a refund if they cancel your flight.  Welcome to the new normal.  I guess this means “nothing is certain until you board the plane”.  

I would ask SQ to re-issue this ticket for BKK-SIN-LAX. SIN-LAX is SQ 38, direct non-stop. Going via NRT is probably a fools errand as NRT-LAX is probably a codeshare.

SQ 38 flies three times weekly I think. And I think SQ flies at least one daily now for BKK-SIN.

Otherwise just go via QR on BKK-DOH-LAX. QR 837/QR 739, 27,839 THB all in one way.

Edited by mtls2005

I want to thank everyone for your helpful replies.  I might be able to add something about cancelled flights.  I've already had two round trips cancelled for May and August.  Actually I cancelled the JAL August flight to BKK because they changed the date.  I noticed on Flight Tracker that the JAL flight to BKK was canceled 2 or 3 days out of every 4, the JFK flight to Haneda ran about every other day.  I thought by October, the odds would have improved.  (As I mentioned in the OP, I pay in miles so refunds are not a problem.)  What I didn't realize is the distinction in treatment between elite visa holders and new applications.  And I still don't understand the proper sequence of steps--flight, ASQ, and CoE, or when and whom to ask for what.  But I have written to the Consul in NY and will continue to follow the news here on this invaluable source.  Thanks again.

34 minutes ago, habuspasha said:

But I have written to the Consul in NY

I suggest you call or go in person to the consulate in NYC to give your application when the time comes. They are open only 2 days a week Monday and Wednesday. I reached them by phone by email they answer like 2 weeks later. When they did pick up they told me they get too many emails each day. I suggest the 347 number they have on their website thats the Visa officer for the consulate. The 646 number that lady is just clueless. The 212 number never answers. But they were quite fast at processing everything for me visa and COE besides them being only open 2 days a week. The NY consulate does not use the online application like most of the other states. They were able to issue the COE after I gave them the documents on Monday in person, I was able to pick up Wednesday afternoon. 

Edited by Wars
  • Like 2

If you can jump through all hoops to get your elite visa approved you might be able to jump on a repatriation flight.

That would be a cash price, no points flight.  Availability of seats may be on a waiting list basis but being able to purchase a Business class ticket on that flight may bump you up the list. 

Nothing is simple during Covid. 

• Like 1

The only flights entering Thailand for now (who knows about October) are officially government organised repatriation flights using various airlines. These are for Thai nationals who are abroad for work, school, or whatever who wish to return home. A select group of foreigners are allowed to tag-along on these flights on a space available basis (organised by Thai consulates and embassies around the world). Government spokespeople have specifically warned the public that thought many airlines are showing and selling tickets for flights to Thailand for now and in the future, the only flights actually allowed in are the repatriation flights. Just because an airline is showing and selling tickets to Bangkok doesn't mean they have received the necessary permission to actually make the flight...in fact just the opposite. Buyers of these tickets should exercise caution and verify the cancellation and refund policies of the airline.

3 hours ago, G950 said:

If you can jump through all hoops to get your elite visa approved you might be able to jump on a repatriation flight.

That would be a cash price, no points flight.  Availability of seats may be on a waiting list basis but being able to purchase a Business class ticket on that flight may bump you up the list. 

Nothing is simple during Covid. 

Nothing was simple in Thailand before Covid either.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

1.  Sep 2020-Canceled

2. Oct 2020-Canceled

If you need to you can flight whit Finnair to JFK (2 stops)and flight from there to LAX. Cost much about 90000 bth to JFK! Or try other route from Europe! Finnair has not cancel any flight from BKK after start flight in 1.7.2020!

Edited by 2 is 1

10 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

1.  Sep 2020-Canceled

2. Oct 2020-Canceled

you can get to LAX on korean air.  some days the layover in ICN is longer than others as the schedule is not the same every day.  they have a transit hotel in terminal 2 (the korean air terminal) where you can relax during the layover (60usd for 6 hours).  i'm flying korean to ICN and then delta to SEA, leaving in a few hours. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Berti said:

Are you sure?

Seem like it depends on the application and whether it goes through an agent or the company directly. Some application forms I find online also say the applicant has to pay within seven days of getting the confirmation letter or incur a late fee. Mine said nothing like this.

The only thing regarding refunds TE sent me back in the day was concerning "Excessive Payments/Overpayments" and they have a 3000 THB processing fee for the refund.

The practice guideline for Thailand Elite member who remits the excessive amount of
membership application fee and demands a refund:

As the practice guideline for Thailand Elite member, a company determines the refund policy for those who have made an excessive amount of membership fee payment more than what is required by the company through both the local and international transactions as follows;

1. In the case that the member has made an excessive amount of membership fee payment and intends to get a refund. Please make a written request to the company within 15 days after getting a written notice from company. The company reserves a right to refund in all cases if the said period is overdue.

2. THB 3,000 (three thousand Baht) will be charged for each refund transaction, excluding the extra charge
by the beneficiary’s bank of the transferee.

3. A remittance of membership application fee must be completed in single transaction according to Anti - Money Laundering Act, B.E. 2542 (1999) (AMLA) and its amendment, (such as a mobile banking remittance shall be equivalent to the membership fee in one-time transaction only.

Nevertheless, the rate of refund fee is subject to the sender’s bank. The company reserves the right to change without prior notice.

You asked: "What am I missing?"

About everything imo. You have everything in wrong order. 

Nothing will happen without the Elite Visa or a successful application to show the Thai embassy in your home country. After that it's up to the embassy. You can't book any tickets on commercial flights, everything is about repatriation. 

I would love to ditch SQ and go with Korean Air but since they are going to hold any potential refund for 16 weeks I’m ticked off at their useless Customer Service.  SQ usually has the highest airfares and I paid a whole lot more than what Korean Air is going to charge and I’m going to wait and see what SQ is going to do about December.  Been a loyal member of KrisFlyer for years and how SQ responded to the pandemic has been disappointing.  It appears Korean Air has responded very well.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

I would love to ditch SQ and go with Korean Air but since they are going to hold any potential refund for 16 weeks I’m ticked off at their useless Customer Service.  

At least they are offering a refund—That is better than most airlines.  I hold two vouchers for flights that were cancelled and the airlines refuse to give any refund.  One of the vouchers expires at the end of 2020 and the airline probably won’t even be flying by then. ????????????????

• Confused 1