Actress 'Amy' handed 33-year jail sentence for drug trafficking

rooster59

Thai/Dutch actress Amelia "Amy" Jacobs handed life sentence for drugs in absentia

513310.jpg

Image: Naewna

A former Miss Teen Thailand of Thai and Dutch parentage has been sentenced to life in prison by the appeal court.

Amelia "Amy" Jacobs, 30, originally from Phuket was not in court and is believed to have fled abroad. 

Amy originally escaped jail a couple of years ago when she received a 5,000 baht fine for drug taking and a three month prison sentence suspended for two years.

She was supposed to attend probation meetings and prove she was clean of drugs.

Now the appeal court has decided to bump up the sentence and fine amid claims she was part of drug dealing.

She has been sentenced to life in prison and a one million baht fine. This has been reduced to 33 years in jail and a fine totalling 666,666.67 baht for her earlier useful testimony. 

She was not in court so an arrest warrant was issued for her. Naew Na said that the statute of limitation on this was 30 years.

Her whereabouts are unknown though comments in the media in Thailand from an activist who pressed for the light sentence to be appealed, suggest she may be in Dubai. 

Amy was arrested along with her boyfriend Punyawat Hirantecha who was jailed for 25 years and fined 750,000.

Crystal meth and ecstasy were found but the Minburi court determined that Amy was not involved in drug distribution. 

This has now been turned on its head after an activist uncovered alleged police corruption and alleged corruption by a lawyer.

Amy was crowned Miss Teen Thailand in 2006 when in her mid-teens and later embarked on an acting career.

Thailand's immigration police deputy Pol Maj-Gen Chuchat Thareechat said Friday following the court judgement that the IB were looking into the movements of Amy to see whether she had been in and out of Thailand or not.

Source: Naewna

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-08-22

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

Indeed. Should've been 66.66 years in jail and a fine of 666,666.66 baht to make any contrived sense.

In any case, I don't think she's still in Dubai. Probably traveled on to the Netherlands, maybe dealing either gouda or tulip bulbs in Amsterdam now.

She will be where there is no extradition treaty with Thailand, Dubai seems about right, Holland not so much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:
4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The court issued a warant for her arrest.

Pretty useless those warrants, if the person has any wealth.

Even more useless if they are not issued before the suspect leaves the country.

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

This has now been turned on its head after an activist uncovered alleged police corruption and alleged corruption by a lawyer.

Do tell....  The original trial judge gives her a 3 month suspended sentence in the original lower court proceedings.  In a case where she was pretty clearly, at least tangentially thru the boyfriend, involved in drug sales.

And then somehow, the appeals court turns that into a life sentence for drug trafficking, reduced to 33 years in prison!

That's got to rank as one of the largest nothing to something prison sentence turnabouts in Thai judicial history...

So I wonder if the unexplained/un-elaborated police and lawyer corruption had anything to do with the original 3 month suspended sentence????

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Obviously she should not have dealt in drugs.

Apart from that I think it must be difficult in Thailand, and not only Thailand, to be a star.

It seems many people have high expectations how such stars should behave. And because they are so called stars they obviously also must be rich.

But in reality I guess life for these "stars" is often far away from what it's supposed to be.

I remember I met a "celebrity" who worked in a hotel and complained that that month his bonus was 10k THB less than last month, big money problem...

It seems lots of young Thais want to be stars.

Personally I am happy that I am a nobody. No impossible expectations, no headache.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“Preliminary investigation revealed that Amelia had fled the country via Suvarnabhumi Airport on August 22, 2019 on flight EK 0385 heading to Dubai,”

This story doesn't add up or is poorly written, so she fled a year later after the first court hearing where they let her off, but in 2019 a year later she split.

So if I am reading this correctly both the boyfriend and her went to court a year earlier before she split from Thailand, e.g. court was on the 28th August 2018 and he was sentenced to 25 years, i.e. he had no money to pay them off so he went straight into the slammer, while she was allowed off Scott free on lesser charges, but was later charged on another charge which gave her a 33 year sentence, but she had already left the country, e.g. delaying the court appearance, thus providing her with enough time to exit the country after she paid them off.

It said: "However, on Thursday the court found her guilty of possessing drugs for sale, and amended her sentence to 33 years and four months and Bt666,666 fine. The court issued a warrant for her arrest. Her offence has a statute of limitations of 30 years".

What year was this Thursday, I mean she left a year ago or two years after the first court hearing, typically Thai corruption, you can't make this stuff up, to bad for the boyfriend though.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

In Canada they're realizing the war on drugs has been lost and jailing people who are caught with small amounts is pointless and not cost efficient. The majority of the police chiefs of the major cities are all in favor of complete decriminalization and imo this will become reality. The trouble is drug distribution is a major business with many interactions with major legal enterprises (think cash sources with no taxation or accountability attached to them, a businesses wet dream) and there are many countries not ready to give up this cash cow. I surmise the countries that are the most adamant against drugs are also the ones whose legitimate business folks are discretely making the most of the prohibition. Hypocrisy at its greasiest..

• Like 2