Tesco Lotus ready to hire 10,000 more workers if hourly employment allowed

webfact

Tesco Lotus ready to hire 10,000 more workers if hourly employment allowed

By The Nation

800_ca8eee5b3a5340a.jpg?v=1598254668

Tesco Lotus aims to hire another 10,000 temporary workers if the Ministry of Labour would pass an hourly employment law, Labour Minister Suchart Chomklin Sompong said.

He made the remark while overseeing the company's business operations at the Tesco Lotus head office and Sukhapiban 1 branch. He also discussed cooperation to create careers amid the Covid-19 pandemic.

"Tesco Lotus is ready to hire another 10,000 temporary workers to perform duties at its branches nationwide and support the opening of new branches if we issue the hourly employment law," he said.

"Currently, the company has over 50,000 workers nationwide, while they have organised a project to hire students and retirees as well."

Tesco Lotus has 2,046 branches of which 411 are middle and large stores and 1,635 are express stores. This year, the company opened 63 new express branches, while 90 existing express branches were renovated.

The company also has an online channel to enable people to order goods via the website, Tesco Lotus Shop online smartphone application, Lazada and Shopee marketplaces, and Chat and Shop Line official account.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30393435

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-24

48 minutes ago, yeahbutif said:

300 bhat for 14hrs work what's thats about 20bhat an hour  wow

Yes low for us , but in a realm with loan sharks and little welfare better than nothing.There are a lot of underemployed people and I imagine teh stores won't be short of applicants from newly unemployed workers from the tourist sector.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

1 hour of work counts as full employment in the UK.

A great way to make unemployment look lower than it really is.

and a great way to build flexibility into employment; for sure it doesn't suit everyone, but many people benefit from such work contracts.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Tesco Lotus has 2,046 branches of which 411 are middle and large stores and 1,635 are express stores.

So just under 5 people for each store. Wow will that make any difference at all.

I suppose any new about jobs is good but I wouldn't be over the moon with this small amount, as it will hardly make a dent in the figures for unemployment, due to this pandemic.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Susco said:

I must have missed where in the article is mentioned that Tesco pays less than the official minimum wage, for more than the legal working hours.

Oh wait, you just made that up in your head, isn't it?

Exactly...and let’s not forget the hyperbolic statements of 1 hour per week employment.  It would be good to know what the details are.

I do wonder, however, if Thailand reports unemployment figures similar to the United States U3 and U6 figures where U3 is the generally reported number and U6 includes discouraged (no longer seeking employment) and underemployed workers (want full time work but have to settle for part time)

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The wages are low enough already,now they want to bring zoro hour working to Thailand

that will only benefit Tesco/Lotus now CP, as they will have workers at their beckon call,

and have to pay no benefits at all,no holiday pay,no sick pay, etc etc. knowing how powerful

CP are ,I can see them getting all they ask for.

regards worgeordie

What Zoro has to do with it ?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Acrylic said:

How do you know they pay 300 baht for 14 works ? Is there mention somewhere ? thank you. 

Tesco/BigC/7-11 et al generally pay 300bht/shift.

You can argue about the length of the shift 10hrs/12hrs/14hrs, but does it really matter?

Lets be generous and call it 30bt/hr ..... but now you don't get 300bht for your shift, because they don't need to pay a full shift.

11 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The wages are low enough already,now they want to bring zoro hour working to Thailand

that will only benefit Tesco/Lotus now CP, as they will have workers at their beckon call,

and have to pay no benefits at all,no holiday pay,no sick pay, etc etc. knowing how powerful

CP are ,I can see them getting all they ask for.

regards worgeordie

I bet the management of Tesco-Lotus are really excited and eager to take up this golden opportunity of flexible employment themselves ......or perhaps not!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

300 bhat for 14hrs work what's thats about 20bhat an hour  wow

Not sure about Tesco pay rates for shift work, my neighbours daughter works in 7-11, she gets 450 baht for an 8 hour shift... I'm sure the others are similar.

No-one works in Tesco on a 14 hour shift.. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Not sure about Tesco pay rates for shift work, my neighbours daughter works in 7-11, she gets 450 baht for an 8 hour shift... I'm sure the others are similar.

No-one works in Tesco on a 14 hour shift.. 

So 50 baht an hour...or 11,700 a month (26 work days)...interesting to know.