More "Special Flights" with Thai Airways in September to Frankfurt, Munich & London

Thai Airways has published a new schedule with additional "special flights" to Frankfurt, Munich & London in the month of September.

https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/book/offers/special_offers/special_flights.page

Prices start at 16,215 THB in Economy for the one way up to 87,000 THB in Business Class.

What's odd in my eyes is that the Frankfurt flights leaves on September 30th, 4 days after the Amnesty is supposed to end.

• Terms and conditons are vary upon fare selection. Please read ticket terms and condition which will be shown in the booking process.
  • Existing ticket and ROP award ticket can be used on this flight.
  • THAI reserves the right to change fares and conditions without prior notice.
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Those will be repatriation flights when they return to Thailand.

Thai is selling tickets out of the country on them to make a little extra money.

Correct but why would they schedule it in a way that is several days beyond the official expiry date of the amnesty?

Doesn't make much sense to me.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Those will be repatriation flights when they return to Thailand.

Thai is selling tickets out of the country on them to make a little extra money.

and to help those foreigners 'stranded' in thailand get home, sounds like a win/win.

• Thanks 1

What's odd in my eyes is that the Frankfurt flights leaves on September 30th, 4 days after the Amnesty is supposed to end.

Then go for the Munich flight

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

Correct but why would they schedule it in a way that is several days beyond the official expiry date of the amnesty?

The intention is to keep Suvarnabhumi airport open even after the end of the amnesty, and to allow repatriation flights to continue. There may well be people wishing to leave Thailand after September 26, so when sending a flight to, say, Frankfurt to operate as a repatriation flight, it makes perfect sense to allow those who wish to leave Thailand to join the outbound flights.

10 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

Maybe to make some money on 7 day extensions for people who do not get approval to extend their stay in the kingdom after 26th September.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

what do you think ?   they are bankrupt  !!  they owe billions,  they don't have cash for daily operations. Yes,  they will take your money because they are hanging on by a piece of cotton so every baht will keep their staff on the payroll.  They may stop all flights tomorrow .. who knows  ???

Buy a ticket at your own risk.   imo  

The only tickets they are selling are on the outbound legs of repatriation flights which they have been flying regularly for weeks.  Probably not a bad bet they will continue to do so.

3 minutes ago, steven100 said:

what do you think ?   they are bankrupt  !!  they owe billions,  they don't have cash for daily operations. Yes,  they will take your money because they are hanging on by a piece of cotton so every baht will keep their staff on the payroll.  They may stop all flights tomorrow .. who knows  ???

Buy a ticket at your own risk.   imo  

These flights will be operated at 100% certainty because they're sent out by the government to pick up Thais and other repatriates abroad. Hence the term "special flight".

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

They are scheduled as repatriation flights to here that are tied to available slots for them when they arrive.

The are not intended to be for those wanting to leave Thailand.

Applying for a extension and getting 7 days to leave the country would work for the one on the 30th.

32 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

These flights have nothing to do with the amnesty.  Anyone wanting to go to Frankfurt can take LH 3 or 4 times a week.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, anchadian said:

I'm not going on any flight. But if TG wants to sell additional tickets then it would be prudent to schedule the flight for the 26th IMHO. Nothing keeps those on the amnesty from just leaving on the 30th though, the worst that can happen is a small fine.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They are scheduled as repatriation flights to here that are tied to available slots for them when they arrive.

The are not intended to be for those wanting to leave Thailand.

Applying for a extension and getting 7 days to leave the country would work for the one on the 30th.

I wouldn't even bother to apply for an extension just for a 4 day delay. Waste of time and money. But it'd still make more sense to give them a more workable slot. It's not like there is a run on Thailand at the moment. More and more ASQ hotels are opening too.

The main issue here is that these TG flights can be used with existing tickets and credits from previously cancelled flights. Sure one can leave almost any day but if you hold an old ticket and TG so far refused to rebook this to Lufthansa then these special flights are your only choice to go.

38 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

It does to me. 1900 baht for 7 days extension kind of sense. Or a 2000 baht overstay kind of sense...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Supposed ..? 

Please , keep us informed .

We gotta get out of this place , if it's  the last thing we ever do ..

Edited by elliss

1 hour ago, FlyingThai said:

But it'd still make more sense to give them a more workable slot.

I guess the MFA orders a flight from Thai airways as repatriation flight, and the MFA picks a date which suits them for this purpose.

Then after this is done, Thai airways tries to sell the seats out of Thailand. The number of people who might wish to fly out of Thailand is probably never taken into consideration when planning these flights.

Edited by jackdd

8 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I guess the MFA orders a flight from Thai airways as repatriation flight, and the MFA picks a date which suits them for this purpose.

Then after this is done, Thai airways tries to sell the seats out of Thailand. The number of people who might wish to fly out of Thailand is probably never taken into consideration when planning these flights.

Correct. The embassy in London takes the names of people and passes them on to Thai who takeover for the payment. 34 no shows for the mid August flight for 260 seats. Very long thread on the Thai London Embassy's Facebook page about this. Seems to have been some payment problems from the translations to English.

18 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Very, if it can be confirmed that these flights are definitely the outbound leg of repatriation flights (and will, therefore, not be cancelled).

They have not yet been advertised by the London Embassy but I suspect the info is correct. 

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

Very, if it can be confirmed that these flights are definitely the outbound leg of repatriation flights (and will, therefore, not be cancelled).

The flights to London are TG916 and the repatriation flights have been TG917. I think that enough to confirm the return flights are for repatriation.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FlyingThai said:

This metal may turn at FRA as a scheduled repat flight for Thais? So that may be the reason for the "odd" (in your eyes) schedule?

There are heaps of flights out of Bangkok every day. 

I would NOT purchase a ticket on a TG flight, better to go with a reliable carrier, which is not in bankruptcy.

If one is able to use an existing ticket/credit towards one of these flights, that would be awesome. Have seen some posts saying this is allowed for some TG flights ex-BKK (but not the Sunday TG repat flights to SYD).

** Existing ticket and ROP award ticket can be used on this flight.

Edited by mtls2005

21 hours ago, FlyingThai said:

Their existence is for the purpose of repatriating Thais on the return so amnesty dates don't come into it.  Even if they did, there are still people here not relying on the amnesty who might be thinking of going home that could use them.

3 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

The BKK to London fight is around £450, the repatriation flight London to BKK in August was around £700 ?

i have looked at the return dates from London but I can’t find a price ?

The flights for September and prices for them are now on the London embassy website.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/120100-**Repatriation-Flights-for-non-Thai-nationals**.html