Giving up on Pattaya

aussiexpat

2 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Unfortunately self isolation doesn't work

particularly in Pattaya, you know already the reality here for a lot of people

no helmet when drive a scooter, no mask when walk in the public places

no condom when bang a short time girl, drink and smoke a lot as an habit

i don't expect these selfish and reckless guys wanting to self isolate themselves to protect the others

it's the last of their worries

Unfortunately, that describes a lot of the male university students.  They aren't rotten, but careless as one could be.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You realise the 14+ days ASQ hotel could be circ 70k, a friend paid 77k for 16 days 

Yeah, that's why I said glimmer of hope with Flights, ASQ hotel and insurance currently working out about 125-150k baht

This is why I'm waiting a little while longer to hope it's changed to Singapore model once Thailand get no takers of the STV...have to think positively lol

To justify the cost, I do save 35k baht on my Aussie health insurance which would not be required and I'd have a one-way flight instead of my 4 return flights a year saving about 65k baht...funny how the mind works to make it now only 25-50k cost overall ????

Edited by aussiexpat

3 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Unfortunately self isolation doesn't work

particularly in Pattaya, you know already the reality here for a lot of people

no helmet when drive a scooter, no mask when walk in the public places

no condom when bang a short time girl, drink and smoke a lot as an habit

i don't expect these selfish and reckless guys wanting to self isolate themselves to protect the others

it's the last of their worries

Yeah, unfortunate for everyone they have to assume people will react the worse...I'm happy to wear tracker in condo self isolation to prove I'm good given 2 weeks later I'd be free ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moontang said:

Unfortunately, that describes a lot of the male university students.  They aren't rotten, but careless as one could be.  

You are right about the students

however you could hope with the age and experience

they will become more careful, unfortunately it's obvious they aren't

After my usual 6 months, I could not wait to get back to the UK.

This year I will be wintering in England, its easy to forget how beautiful

and exciting it is, and with far less to worry about, and theres still

hundreds of people still speak Ingrish here.  Love it..no place like home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Let us know how it's going once the long cold winter nights set in. In Glasgow I loved the darkness and sideways rain at 4pm... 

Let me know when you go to hospital with dengue fever, or go titsup on your mocye.

Its 4pm here, suns out and its cool, just finished maintenance on the telehandler, got

a log fire ready and a bottle a grog..

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rott said:

What's upset you Mr moontang.? 

I am still upset about the roach infestation on the bread shelves at a well known grocer.  Another grocer doesn't even sell beer...and my lunch sucked, today.  Otherwise, up big in the markets this morning, but don't know of a single place with consistent cold, fresh beer at a fair price.

• Haha 2

On 10/3/2020 at 6:01 AM, scubascuba3 said:

You realise the 14+ days ASQ hotel could be circ 70k, a friend paid 77k for 16 days 

5,000 baht per night? That's a big drop from the 29,000 baht per night a month ago. Which hotel is offering 5,000 baht per night?

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

5,000 baht per night? That's a big drop from the 29,000 baht per night a month ago. Which hotel is offering 5,000 baht per night?

What was I thinking...29,000 baht per night. ???? Must have been looking at some suites. ????

12 hours ago, talahtnut said:

Let me know when you go to hospital with dengue fever, or go titsup on your mocye.

Its 4pm here, suns out and its cool, just finished maintenance on the telehandler, got

a log fire ready and a bottle a grog..

I had 3 strains of Dengue and never went to hospital. No need for a m'bike in Pattaya.

Pattaya is more interesting on a quiet day than a western country on a busy one. I took thousands of photos in LOS, but barely get the camera out back home.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/31/2020 at 2:10 AM, Don Mega said:

Don't know what country old matey is from but in mine (Australia) seems that most Uni Graduates flip burgers at Macca's.... they wont be buying no houses !!.

That's probably because they don't offer grievance studies as "majors" in Thai universities.

If you get a Bachelor or Masters in "Critical Race Theory" or "Women's Studies", then you shouldn't wonder if you have to flip burgers (unless you publish, and actually find enough idiots to buy your books).

I knew someone with a PhD, who drove forklifts for a living. Why? Because it was in Philosophy, and there are only so many teaching jobs and stuff, to go around...

But yeah, if you get a degree in a decent field, you CAN make upwards of 6 figures per year (especially IT). And that also buys you a house.

My brother, for example, never even got a degree until after he was already doing well in his field (CRM), yet he built himself a house for over a half million Euros (mind you he and his wife already owned the land it's built on, which often makes up for a large chunk of house building/buying, as prices can go up to 200 euros per square meter of land, depending on where you live), bought a holidy apartment in Marbella (Spain) not so long ago, and is in the 2nd highest tax class of my country....

But yeah, I'm sure one can make a lot more in Thailand... if one is Sino-Thai and has the right connections, for example ???? ...

8 hours ago, moontang said:

I am still upset about the roach infestation on the bread shelves at a well known grocer.  Another grocer doesn't even sell beer...and my lunch sucked, today.  Otherwise, up big in the markets this morning, but don't know of a single place with consistent cold, fresh beer at a fair price.

Oh, dear. Petal, have you tried ALL the places in town? And what's "fair," exactly? Good thing you aren't living in Japan. But YES! What better reason to change to. . . Wyoming?????   

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Oh, dear. Petal, have you tried ALL the places in town? And what's "fair," exactly? Good thing you aren't living in Japan. But YES! What better reason to move  . . . Wyoming? ????   

The bar scene here, obviously swirling down the toilet for years, is just a symptom; of a much more serious disease.  Wyoming produces 7,500,000,000,000,000 BTUs of energy per year.

Drinking 490 ml cans of cold, fresh Heinekens that cost me <57 THB each, but go to a bar and it's 80 for a warm, old, small, and hassles from transvestites and girls with a third grade education.

Edited by moontang
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Pattaya is a town for horny sex tourists and cheap broke retirees living on less than $1000 per month.

600 usd would be more accurate.  Most of them act like they are too good to talk about anything involving economics, unless it involves their own penny pinching.  Might as well talk to the soi dogs.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, moontang said:

600 usd would be more accurate.  Most of them act like they are too good to talk about anything involving economics, unless it involves their own penny pinching.  Might as well talk to the soi dogs.

It's so annoying when people try talk about their penny pinching instead of yours. Could you not merely change to the subject to the important one of what you regard as the fair price of beer? They may want to join you in Wyoming.

Pricing is indeed a weighty subject, so with the mention of beer you may find an opening to bring in Keynes and Milton Friedman. TVF Posters, mostly hailing from nanny states, would favor a Marxist approach, but you might soil some knickers by bringing the Austrian school, say Carl Menger or Oskar Lange. You'll surely find common ground, however, with the assertion that net cost + 10% is all the profit a business needs and nothing in Pattaya should cost more than it did in 1995. That should lead to a very productive discussion of how much was paid for what, exactly, and where--ad infinitum. 

Edited by BigStar
  • Thanks 1