Best location for water filters

grs90

Hi

The water here is pretty poor and I have therefore decided to instal a series of water filters.  

Based on a lot of reading on various sites and given the various issues we have with the water I have concluded that I need to instal a sediment filter, followed by a carbon filter and then a resin filter.  The aim is to have as clean a water supply as reasonably possible for general household use.  We won't be drinking it.

Currently we have the water meter, followed by a 1000L water tank, followed by a Mitsubishi 150W pump and then the pipe in to house.  I am seeing conflicting advice on line as to the bast place within the circuit to instal the filters.  Have also received conflicting advice from a plumber and the staff in DIY stores.

By far the easiest place for me to instal them is between the meter and the tank as I can do that without having to mess around with anything that is already in place. Is there any good reason not to do that?  The only possible downside I can think of is whether the 3 filters will drop the incoming water pressure to a level where it can't make it to the tank.  

Cheers

13 minutes ago, grs90 said:

The only possible downside I can think of is whether the 3 filters will drop the incoming water pressure to a level where it can't make it to the tank.  

That and you need to backwash filters under pressure - I installed between pump and house upcountry and always worked well.  

9 minutes ago, grs90 said:

The water here is pretty poor

Do you know what it is that makes it poor quality?  Filters can likely help but you need to know which filters will help.  Suggest testing if you can to determine what best for you.  It could turn out that a sediment filter in front of your tank is all you need.  If needed, a carbon and resin filter are probably best put on pump pressure.

• Like 1

Thanks.

29 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That and you need to backwash filters under pressure - I installed between pump and house upcountry and always worked well.  

I hadn't considered the pressure aspect for backwashing.  I don't know what the PSI on the incoming supply is but it is normally just enough to turn the water heater on for the shower.  Is that sufficient for backwashing?

30 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Do you know what it is that makes it poor quality?  Filters can likely help but you need to know which filters will help.  Suggest testing if you can to determine what best for you.  It could turn out that a sediment filter in front of your tank is all you need.  If needed, a carbon and resin filter are probably best put on pump pressure.

I haven't tested the water, primarily because the quality is very variable.  It should be filtered before it gets to us but the maintenance of the village "treatment" seems totally hit and miss.  We often get algae, a bit of sediment and some discolouration with an occasional smell.  Biggest problem is typically the limescale.

11 minutes ago, grs90 said:

I hadn't considered the pressure aspect for backwashing.  I don't know what the PSI on the incoming supply is but it is normally just enough to turn the water heater on for the shower.

Then it will not be enough for the filters. After the pump is best for almost all apart from the “big crunchy bits” filter 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grs90 said:

The water here is pretty poor and I have therefore decided to instal a series of water filters.  

Can I ask, is the water dirty or clear ?

The water here in the village is 99% clear, although we don't drink it, once in a blue moon it will turn murky for a couple of hours and when that occurs we just avoid using it.

We use the water for showers, toilet, washing clothes and washing kitchen utensils.

We have our water delivered in those big bottles, usually 10 at a time for 100 baht, I also boil my water and put it in a plastic jug when it cools down.

No filters used here.

If the OP installs those three styles filters prior to the water storage tank he is well advised. May I suggest he also have a 2nd sediment filter installed not just prior to carbon & resin, but one sediment filter installed AFTER the carbon and resin filter tanks. If his household pump is installed (after a non return valve) after his water storage tank he will enjoy great water pressure in his home. There is no end to the options on water filters, so the suggestion to have his water tested is advice I would heed. I certainly agree about the virtue of bottled water being delivered to a home for drinking and cooking. The material his water storage tank is made of really matters.  Inexpensive PE blue, grey or green water tanks would not be my first choice.  The sunlight shoots right through those budget tanks. The better tanks are made from LLDPE.  No shortage of marketing phrases such as Nano or Elixer on a water tank label.  The better grade water tanks will have green PPR pipes installed inside the water tank at the water tank factory in Thailand. 

DOS food grade water storage tank Buriram.jpg

Thank you for your feedback.

Regarding the location for the filters, before the tank versus after the pump, a perceived benefit of the former location was that I could backwash the filters and regenerate the resin without disruption of the supply to the house from the tank.

If I put them after the pump then there will be no supply when they’re going through that process.

I guess not a problem depending on how frequently it needs doing and how long it will take.

More research needed!!

cheers

24 minutes ago, ReadySteady said:

Regarding the location for the filters, before the tank versus after the pump, a perceived benefit of the former location was that I could backwash the filters and regenerate the resin without disruption of the supply to the house from the tank.

If I put them after the pump then there will be no supply when they’re going through that process.

I guess not a problem depending on how frequently it needs doing and how long it will take.

More research needed!!

cheers

It only takes minutes every month or so as I recall.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ReadySteady said:

More research needed!!

cheers

Before the tank. Helps to prevent sediment building up in the tank.

• Like 1

In the OP's water system, the proper location for his water filter system would be after the water tank and pump. Putting it anywhere else would not eliminate any bacteria or organisms currently growing in the tank or pump. 

I recently had a well drilled to 39 meters deep with a 3" submersible pump installed. The water was odor free and a drinking glass sample of the water left overnight exhibited no visible sediment. I still installed a 10 micron sediment filter to pre-filter the filling of 2 new DOS Nano 1050L tanks to reduced any sediment build-up. After the pump, I installed a 3-stage 20X2.5" filter system consisting of a 5 micron sediment filter, a charcoal filter and a resin filter. This will be used mostly for bathing, clothes and dish washing. I have a separate drinking water system inline, after the 3-stage system.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 3:32 PM, tweedledee2 said:

After the pump, I installed a 3-stage 20X2.5" filter system consisting of a 5 micron sediment filter, a charcoal filter and a resin filter. This will be used mostly for bathing, clothes and dish washing. 

I've been thinking of adding this, as there's very fine brown silt in the water that comes out every time after the electric has been off for a while and the pipes run dry. I already have a filter between city water and tank, but it's apparently not fine enough. 

How often do you have to change the filters? Any noticeable pressure drop? 

Edited by DrTuner