Apirat opens professionally run Army-owned hotel as part of reforms

rooster59

So these are the reforms he promised?

Seems the Army is still in charge just privately managed and they now pay some tax but that's easy to dodge.

And the whistle blower exposing corruption in the Army has now been silenced via Court Martial.

Edited by DirtyHarry55

50 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

Hell, I wish all armies throughout the entire planet earth would go into the hotel business and cease this insanity of fighting wars.

yes - as simple a swapping bullets, for billets!

There is a large military base nearby, air force I think, and when we visited the town quite a few years ago we were told by locals that the hotel usually had many military officers staying. After all, a day trip from Bangkok wouldn't allow many minutes for meetings etc.

"The Army has appointed a group ... to make sure that military personnel and their families will continue to receive privileges to use the services.

'.. would benefit military personnel,' Apirat said."

So, "professionally-run" means it is about professionalizing the corruption in the army and enhancing the quality-level of the corruption, right? It's to make sure that military personnel and their families receive unusual privileges on taxpayers cost, by self defined standards and procedures? Maybe they should apply to get an ISO 9000 certificate on corruption-processing. That would be a true Thai invention.

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I always thought the Gulf of Thailand was the difference between the insanely rich and the poor. Now that's a lot deeper and a submarine couldn't dive that deep.

Yes, that also. :clap2:

And it is actually a much wider (and deeper) gulf than the other one ever could be.

53 minutes ago, tompelli said:

Not far from this hotel (that has been operating, primarily for army & ex-army personnel for years), across from the infamous Rajabahkti Park I stopped at the petrol station. Served by young army recruits in Army T-shirts. Paper signs on the pumps "cash only" are very interesting as the only time this happened before was driving up from Malaysia & in south Thailand exactly same thing...army recruits & cash only...maybe ThailandRyan & Misterwhisper need to add petrol stations & laundries to their list

And governments, too, I reckon. But maybe those fall under the category "brothels" that I mentioned anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Why does the Army need to have a hotel of there own. If it was near a base and was for transferring officers or staff to live in while base housing was being prepared due to the current resident transferring out, well then I can understand. I also could understand using it for members of the armed services going to the nearby base for training. However, to have a hotel possibly used by tourists, for tourism, and to make money is not what an Army is for. This country and its money making military units is just showing how corrupt it really is. Running boxing stadiums, leasng golf courses etc. Purely heretical lunacy. An army is for protecting a country in times of war and peace, not for making money, no matter how open about reforms they wish to be.

How little do you know, the US Army has a Hotel on Wakiki Beach in Honolulu. It has been used by service people for years. It was a great favorite of married personal during Vietnam, mostly married members would meet their spouses for a 5 day R and R. I have drank many Mai Tais at the open bar facing the beach. Open only to service members and their families.

I wish all "armies" would follow this fine example to humanity, diversify away from killing fellow humans and diversify into a legitimate business creating wealth, equality and happiness for all ???? 

Then reality hit home! :shock1:

Edited by CGW
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

How little do you know, the US Army has a Hotel on Wakiki Beach in Honolulu. It has been used by service people for years. It was a great favorite of married personal during Vietnam, mostly married members would meet their spouses for a 5 day R and R. I have drank many Mai Tais at the open bar facing the beach. Open only to service members and their families.

Maybe you didn't read what he wrote.

But anyways do they make a profit from Tourists and not pay tax? you see there is a difference.
They probably don't run commercial TV stations, Boxing stadiums, develop Real Estate or any other commercial businesses either.

Edited by DirtyHarry55
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

The army should stick to soldiering, they have no business being involved in hotels.

Will the guests have to stop eating breakfast at 08:00 and stand to attention?

Stand still at 18:00 and lights out at 22:00?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Will the guests have to stop eating breakfast at 08:00 and stand to attention?

Stand still at 18:00 and lights out at 22:00?

I wonder if you get 2 vouches for breakfast in there?

• Haha 1

If you are so inclined, you will be able to stay at a 1 Star Resort, where you will be subjected to a routine of 15Km Marches every Morning before Dawn, and a regime of both Mental and Physical bullying during your stay.

Your room will be fully furnished with( out ) Air Con, Bed or even a personal, Sanitary Toilet and Shower.

The Dining experience will be from a large bowl in the middle of the floor, around which everybody congregates.

All this Luxury could be yours for the sum of 8,000 Baht ( Tax Inc ) per night.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Not as unusual as one might think....the USA, UK and French certainly have their own 'hotels'...I guess many other nations do.......

Correct, the Australian Defence Force owns several resorts and caravan parks.

8 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Not as unusual as one might think....the USA, UK and French certainly have their own 'hotels'...I guess many other nations do.......

Correct, the Australian Defence Force owns several resorts and caravan parks.