What's the point?

2 minutes ago, phuketcouple said:

Many thanks for the clarification, also to @Upnotover.

I just have to correct that carefully to my wife ????

The only question that then remains is why an existing international health insurance (for all cases 100% at home and abroad) is not sufficient for me - but it is for my wife.

It may be sufficient... it depends of how much is covered by your insurance in case of hospitalization. 

If the amount covered is at least up to $ 100,000 you are fine, otherwise maybe you can see with your insurance if they can upgrade you to a higher plan, providing that you pay the difference. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, phuketcouple said:

Both of our health insurances have no coverage limit.

What kind of confirmation from the German insurance companies does the TH Administration / Immigration need for this?

Need sertification to coverage for covid up 100000 $!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, phuketcouple said:

In addition: Our two health insurances have no restriction due to Covid.

Like member '2 is 1' mentioned, I suggest calling the Embassy to see if they accept a letter from your current insurance company about the COVID coverage, if they do then you can attempt to get one out of the insurance company.

Good luck with that.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, phuketcouple said:

- When we return to Thailand in November 2020 as planned, I will have to stay in (Hotel / Government) quarantine for 14 days, my wife can return to our house immediately.
- We both have private health insurance in Germany, which fully covers all cases of illness at home and abroad. But I need an additional Covid insurance with at least $ 100K coverage, my wife does not.

Where is the point?

Both of your points are wrong, so i think there is no point.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

Firstly, your wife is a Thai citizen entitled to repatriation at government expense and you are not. Secondly, many insurance companies will deny a claim if one travels and gets COVID 19 since the travel is a known risk for infection. Therefore, Thailand wants to be sure any expenses incurred should you become infected are covered by insurance specifically for COVID 19. 

Thai citizens aren't entitled to free repatriation. They can receive a free state quarantine arrangement which might be rather uncomfortable compared to the ASQ options.

Your wife, being a Thai citizen, is entitled to free healthcare at a government hospital in the province she is registered as living. That's why she does not need health insurance as there is no risk of her doing a runner on the bill.

There is no point in coming back! I need to go to Oz for business and medical but if I go there is no guarantee that I'll be able to get back in even if I can arrange insurance (I'm 75)!  There is nothing to do and no-one to do it with, everyone is paranoid to the point if you go to any major shop or shopping centre without a mask and temperature check....forget it! There hasn't been a local covid 19 case for over 100 days, I can't even guess why the checks are still happening?

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Need sertification to coverage for covid up 100000 $!

20 hours ago, phuketcouple said:

In addition: Our two health insurances have no restriction due to Covid.

the german insurance can provide you a letter that makes clear they will cover COVID-19 during your stay in Thailand. that is all that is needed. Since you are not having Thai citizenship it is needed for you. you wife has Thai citizenship and is covered by her country.

all is easy and straight forward. that Europeann countries are easier in this kind of things when they allow foreigner to stay does not implies that non European countries have the same easy going on way of arranging this kind of things.

21 hours ago, phuketcouple said:

- When we return to Thailand in November 2020 as planned, I will have to stay in (Hotel / Government) quarantine for 14 days, my wife can return to our house immediately.

As others have advised, i.e. your wife also has to go into quarantine.

I will suggest that you understand and perhaps look into it a little further as you might not be aware that she will more than likely be in a different quarantine facility than the hotel, that you will be paying for, so if you are ok with being separated upon your return, (I wouldn't), then all and good, but if you are wanting her to stay with you in the hotel you are being quarantined in, I am pretty sure they hit you up to pay for her as well, as I did read somewhere on a different topic/post that someone had to pay double for 2 people ?

Like I said, something to consider and to look into, best of luck.

11 hours ago, tonray said:

Your wife, being a Thai citizen, is entitled to free healthcare at a government hospital in the province she is registered as living. That's why she does not need health insurance as there is no risk of her doing a runner on the bill.

Also I don't think many Thais, especially in the the poorer sections of society have

any health insurance, many live day to day. My GF does have an insurance policy that

if she dies her parents get around 250000 baht, but that's obviously not the same thing?

21 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

Firstly, your wife is a Thai citizen entitled to repatriation at government expense and you are not. Secondly, many insurance companies will deny a claim if one travels and gets COVID 19 since the travel is a known risk for infection. Therefore, Thailand wants to be sure any expenses incurred should you become infected are covered by insurance specifically for COVID 19. 

"Therefore, Thailand wants to be sure any expenses incurred should you become infected are covered by insurance specifically for COVID 19."

The insurance does not have to cover specifically Covid-19. It has to include full coverage for Covid-19. 

10 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

Also I don't think many Thais, especially in the the poorer sections of society have

any health insurance, many live day to day. My GF does have an insurance policy that

if she dies her parents get around 250000 baht, but that's obviously not the same thing?

Every Thai national if not having a health insurance paid by the employer are covered by the 30 baht scheme. So, in reality everybody are covered, but the ones covered by the 30 baht scheme has to go to the government hospital in their district, while others have more options depending on type of insurance. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You sure about your wife does not need 14 day quarantine.

Which does not mean your home.

If Phuketcouple has a private Medical Aid insurance in Germany (Krankenversicherung), which covers them in Germany and abroad, surely Covid cover is included with no monetary limit. I assume a confirmation in English from the insurance company in Germany will be sufficient proof for the Thai authorities, Is it so?

2 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

If Phuketcouple has a private Medical Aid insurance in Germany (Krankenversicherung), which covers them in Germany and abroad, surely Covid cover is included with no monetary limit. I assume a confirmation in English from the insurance company in Germany will be sufficient proof for the Thai authorities, Is it so?

Everyone goes into 14 day quarantine. That is not in own home.

Nothing to do with insurance.

18 hours ago, FlyingThai said:

Thai citizens aren't entitled to free repatriation. They can receive a free state quarantine arrangement which might be rather uncomfortable compared to the ASQ options.

I dare the OP to put his wife up in a free government quarantine while he luxuriates in an ASQ...

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, phuketcouple said:

Many thanks for the clarification, also to @Upnotover.

I just have to correct that carefully to my wife ????

The only question that then remains is why an existing international health insurance (for all cases 100% at home and abroad) is not sufficient for me - but it is for my wife.

A word with your insurance company might do the trick. Explaining the situation and mentioning that you might change the provider could/should do the trick.

P.S. It's clear that you are the one who pays for all, these companies do not want to lose such customers, I'm certain that your insurance isn't the cheapest one. 

Best of luck. 

Edited by teacherclaire