Corona and the immediate future of the Thai Baht

Apart from gold most exports are down. The fantasy Phuket 5T plan has caused Thai people to cancel bookings in August although the plan won't start until September at earliest. Pattaya has seen about 50% of the better restaurants closed down probably forever. The hotel market is suffering badly as Thai people only come at weekends. I see the Thai economy about to actually take a big hit soon. The covid19 cases maybe low but the real jobless rate is very high. The gap between the rich and poor is growing exponentially. The students are beginning to get support for their views. It will be more than 2 years before the tourists come back. I don't think that the baht can remain strong with all these headwinds. 

Edited by JusticeGB
Quantifying the number of restaurants likely to have been closed down
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

The strengthening Baht makes no sense.  Why would currency traders buy Baht?  Do they really think the economy’s humming? That’s certainly not the case.

It makes sense.

Slightly positive interest rates in Thailand against mostly negative interest rates in the West...

8 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

The strengthening Baht makes no sense.  Why would currency traders buy Baht?  Do they really think the economy’s humming? That’s certainly not the case.

As others have said, its not the Baht streghthening its the other currencies weakening.

The US is basically printing money and that eventually weakens a currency.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

well,  i will be sure to get back with you pundits here in 10 years time.

till then a one baht move here or there does not a movement make.

now when the aussie goes from 30 to 23     or the pound from 50 down to 40    that is a move

(i'm being kind as i did not take the high nor the low over that ten year period)

in that same time the US dollar was mostly between 31 and 33   .

anyway,  don't need to convince me.   I told my 20 year story already.   If you are "sure" about what

will happen then you should be rich in not too distant a future.   good luck to all

Edited by rumak

8 hours ago, uli65 said:

no bills ever will come in, it is just printed phony money.

Agreed.

So at some point the only clue most Americans will have that the dollar is weakening is rising costs on everything. Still, Americans have been slowly conditioned to believe prices should always go up so won't connect the dots. America dismissed the concept of a stable currency decades ago when Reagan took office. 

Other countries will notice however and  devalue the dollar accordingly. When Americans travel or buy foreign goods they will decry such foreigners as greedy, never understanding that their own politicians/bankers/business leaders have sold them down the river for nearly a hundred years since the Federal Reserve was born in a smoky room one night on Jekeyll Island off the coast of Georgia. The Fed announced quietly last week that despite rising inflation they will hold interest rates near zero. It's only a matter of time before they go negative! 

I've been moving cash out of America for years now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NightSky said:

Unfortunately, today the UK papers report the chancellor is looking to recoup 30 billion covid pounds by increasing taxes.

Someone has to cough up that 'phony money' to pay for the freebies recently handed out and its looking like mr tax payer will foot the bill.

No chance of the UK cutting back on overseas aid then, and what about all the benefits and hotel rooms for all the migrants arriving in their dinghys every day?.

Sorry for going on about this in a Thai forum, but I couldn't resist it.

Foreign Currency Reserves at record levels having grown another $30 Billion since February now topping $250 Billion in total and now the 8th highest in the World

Baht is completely unmoved against the Benchmark USD and thats absolutely no surprise to me

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevemercer said:

Nothing much will happen until after the US elections in November.

If you somehow think the Baht will weaken against the USD then think again in relation to any election.

Biden wins and every chance Baht will dip sub 30 again

14 minutes ago, Chivas said:

If you somehow think the Baht will weaken against the USD then think again in relation to any election.

Biden wins and every chance Baht will dip sub 30 again

But if Trump wins, and continues his phony war with China, countries will be increasingly forced to pick between the two. China may eventually be forced off the US standard in world trading. Thailand will go with the Chinese Yuan-weighted trading block. China will pump the Baht up against the US dollar.

49 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

The Fed announced quietly last week that despite rising inflation they will hold interest rates near zero. It's only a matter of time before they go negative! 

In fact, real interest rates (taking inflation into account) are already negative. 

But they will go even lower because  the government can't pay any interest on its mountain of debt, as it is already saddled with multi trillion budget deficits. 

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

Agreed.

So at some point the only clue most Americans will have that the dollar is weakening is rising costs on everything. Still, Americans have been slowly conditioned to believe prices should always go up so won't connect the dots. America dismissed the concept of a stable currency decades ago when Reagan took office. 

Other countries will notice however and  devalue the dollar accordingly. When Americans travel or buy foreign goods they will decry such foreigners as greedy, never understanding that their own politicians/bankers/business leaders have sold them down the river for nearly a hundred years since the Federal Reserve was born in a smoky room one night on Jekeyll Island off the coast of Georgia. The Fed announced quietly last week that despite rising inflation they will hold interest rates near zero. It's only a matter of time before they go negative! 

I've been moving cash out of America for years now. 

Why blame Reagan? Nixon ended the convertibility of U.S. dollars to gold in 1971, long before Reagan was elected. 

Edited by farangkinok

2 minutes ago, farangkinok said:

Why blame Reagan? Nixon ended the convertibility of U.S. dollars to gold in 1971, long before Reagan was elected. 

What Nixon did just paved the way to print money endlessly, abandoning the Bretton - Woods agreement with the rest of the world. Since then America has been spending money that devalues what other nations have held as reserve currency. 

Reagan was the one who started the national debt rising. Look at just about any economic chart of any consequence and you see the exponential rise starting in 1980.  Every president since then except Clinton has increased debt but Trump is really breaking the record in annual deficits. 

There is no plan whatsoever for decreasing the debt and the average American believes there is no reason to do so. Unfortunately ignorance of the basic law of prosperity is no excuse. 

Produce more than you consume or you're borrowing money you can't repay. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bartender100 said:

No change, maybe even get stronger, western economies will be in worse shape than Thailand when the bills come in for covid

That's not true, but Thailand have quite a lot of foreign currency stashed away. Economy-wise it's maybe the worst period in modern times.