Thai Airways eyes expansion into food business

webfact

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Maybe they should expand into the profitable, efficient airline business? Now there's an idea that they probably haven't thought of too deeply. 

Does this "business model" actually still exist in the present day?

Better off selling food and leasing airstrip out for drag races!

• Haha 1

Initially, Thai Airways had contacted PTT and Bangchak Corporation to assess their interest in the investment and has also sought a Bt100 million bank loan, which has been approved.

Addicted to borrowing. Anything that THAI touches loses money. Plus, I doubt all of the loan will go to the right places. 

Edited by RandolphGB
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Maybe they should expand into the profitable, efficient airline business? Now there's an idea that they probably haven't thought of too deeply. 

No airline is currently profitable nor will be for many years to come methinks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Thai's reason for existence (as specifically mandated by Thai gov't dictate / the actions it undertakes to make money is operating an airline to move people and cargo from A to B. 

If I held any serious policy position in this sad chaos I would be seriously demanding they get back to their core business and focus totally on the core business/their reason for existence.

Seems to me that the creditors (who are owed several hundred billion Baht), should be making the same demand, total focus on core business.

As a small shareholder I will step in.  At the moment the airline industry internationally is screwed.  No one is travelling unless they have to. airlines from certain countries are being blocked.  There is no income from flying unless the plane is full and no one is getting that kind of international fair.

That being said the fact that THAI is now looking at other streams of income to me is a good thing, any income is better than no income.  This will also provide jobs for people that are  laid off.  Again a win for the country and the creditors and shareholders.

In history many companies have started out producing one thing and due to the changes in the world had to change the product that they produced and sold

3 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Doesn’t sound like a stupid idea. And what do you think you get served at 7-11 and gas stations if it doesn’t come from TG? Just a different mass producer of convenience <deleted> that has production cost of a few baht. 

Not just a mass producer of convenience.

THAI is a state-owned enterprise and has no business using the Thai Treasury to compete against private free enterprises engaged in the commercial food business. It's worse enough that its catering business was expanded to compete against private catering enterprises and apparently its inept management of THAI carried over as well (not prepared or concern for business risks having the backing of the Thai Treasury?).

• Like 1

Now it is "Puffs and Pies", at how many thousands of Baht a piece?

You could not get flying right after the joint-venture with SAS, those dirty farangs from Scandinavia.

So how on Earth do you want to run a catering business or a small bakery? Unless, of course, you get all those crooks and thieves out; no other company had staff on their payroll clocking 419 days overtime in one year. Your call .......... 

27 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

As a small shareholder I will step in.  At the moment the airline industry internationally is screwed.  No one is travelling unless they have to. airlines from certain countries are being blocked.  There is no income from flying unless the plane is full and no one is getting that kind of international fair.

That being said the fact that THAI is now looking at other streams of income to me is a good thing, any income is better than no income.  This will also provide jobs for people that are  laid off.  Again a win for the country and the creditors and shareholders.

In history many companies have started out producing one thing and due to the changes in the world had to change the product that they produced and sold

Perhaps shareholders could demand that past presidents, hangers on, agents, cronies and corrupt staff should pay their ill gotten gains back to Thai so they can pay off some part of their debts. 

• Like 2

The food on Thai Airways going back to Perth has always been disgusting !  Croissants, like the ones in the phot with cheese nd salad in them. Most people didn't eat them, but they served the same <deleted> for 15 years that I was flying this route. No way will their food be any good.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Initially, Thai Airways had contacted PTT and Bangchak Corporation to assess their interest in the investment and has also sought a Bt100 million bank loan, which has been approved.

For something that was already set-up producing 100,000 meals a day, and has been standing  idle since?

So the loan is for what reason?

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording.

3 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

The wife and I flew to Australia on Thai a few years ago and I  commented that this was the best airline food I had ever eaten.  On the return leg the food was terrible and neither of us could eat it. I  commented it would be great if there was a 7/11 on board.  Well I  guess it could be considered ironic that the 2 are working together now! 

You should have flown Emirates its food quality is miles ahead of Thai Airways. But i would still prefer Thai Airways over Qantas.

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Hey you there Thai airways, how about giving me back the 30,000 baht refund on a cancelled trip from back in March before you go start another business using my money please..Turned out by the following article that those gus at TG were rotten and crooks to the core, no surprise there...

https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2020/08/30/thai-airways-employee-claimed-419-days-of-overtime-in-a-single-year/

Yes they’re a disgrace

I’d rather buy red bull than any food they produce 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Airways eyes expansion into food business

They shouldn't be allowed to get an other loan and start a food business Before they pay their Debt to the people for the cancelled trip tickets and their other Debts. 

Myself I Can't see this food business working 

• Like 1

Hmm. Usually when ne reads of restructuring it is ancillary functions, outsource as much as possible to cut losses and laser focus on the core business. Maybe bring in some experienced management 

people experienced in airline turnarounds. Where would these chaps be hiding?