Finance Ministry sent evidence of THAI mismanagement, corruption

webfact

Finance Ministry sent evidence of THAI mismanagement, corruption

By The Nation

800_55b30afcdb0901c.jpg?v=1598981354

A Transport Ministry panel on corruption filed 18 documents of evidence against Thai Airways International (THAI) with the Finance Ministry on Tuesday, pending an investigation into mismanagement of the debt-ridden airline.

As a state agency, THAI racked up about Bt250 billion in debts before asking for court-supervised restructuring earlier this year.

The Transport Ministry panel found THAI had sold discounted tickets to agents, resulting in losses of billions per year.

According to Komkit Wongsomboon, who heads the panel, the corruption involved incentives for ticket-sellers based on the volume of tickets sold rather than their value or resulting sales deficit.

More evidence of graft was found in the maintenance department, where the hourly overtime rate of Bt1,500 was inflated to Bt2,000-Bt3,000 for 200 to 300 workers, resulting in losses totalling Bt2 billion a year.

The panel also seized on the disastrous decision to buy 10 Airbus 340s for about Bt100 billion from 2004. Rising maintenance costs meant the company lost money on all 10 jets, nine of which lost value after being decommissioned and stored at U-Tapao Airport.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30393870

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-02

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Nice point but I'm not holding my breath, still a lot of powerful ruthless people in the LOS, many of whom have shared in massive spoils, they will leave no stone unturned to ensure they are never revealed. doesn't cost much to arrange a killing or arrange deadly traffic accidents, to seriously intimidate people.

Absolutely! Inside and outside of the country people go missing and likely dead!

"THAI had sold discounted tickets to agents, resulting in losses of billions per year"

Probably going to be the target for major losses, by the sound of this report.

Pointing fingers at the big players in the Thai Airways ongoing scams, likely won't happen as usual and prosecutions will be zero IMO. 

I can imagine there's a huge rug to lift up to make this fiasco disappear.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

ROFL it's generally pretty transparent - corruption is fine until someone goes out of favour with the richest boss of them all. When he's bored, or someone's just not useful enough anymore, then a good news story uncovers it so that things get shuffled to get more useful people installed.

99% of news here's pretty boring - the system is protected fiercely by royalists.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Never forget the free flights for those in power that bumped fair paying passengers in first class.  I was so disenfranchised and why I stopped flying Thai.

Not just those in power got free tickets family members like every Tom Dick and Harry could get one

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

"THAI had sold discounted tickets to agents, resulting in losses of billions per year"

Probably going to be the target for major losses, by the sound of this report.

Pointing fingers at the big players in the Thai Airways ongoing scams, likely won't happen as usual and prosecutions will be zero IMO. 

Get rid of the "agents" get a better website, promote that well and sell cheaper tickets online to fill planes. Oh, one problem, no more easy First Class freebies for "well connected or influential" people that way.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Poet said:

When Ryanair take THAI over, instead of giving free first class tickets to the generals and hiso's, they'll only give them to Irish passport holders.

And you get to keep the spoon supplied for the baked bean trough in the aisle at feeding time.

• Haha 1