Rawai Mayor to ban dogs on Nai Harn Beach

webfact

Rawai Mayor to ban dogs on Nai Harn Beach

By The Phuket News

1599105815_1-org.jpg

People will be banned from bringing their own dogs onto Nai Harn Beach, but the strays will stay. Photo: Phuket Lifeguard Service

PHUKET: Rawai Mayor Aroon Solos will ban people from walking their dogs along Nai Harn Beach, enforced by a fine of up to B2,000 for whoever violates the ban.

The move follows a report that one visitor to the beach was set upon by two dogs that another visitor had brought to the beach, but allowed the dogs to roam free.

“We will post signs to explain that dogs are not allowed to be brought onto the beach. They will not be allowed on the sand, but they will be allowed on the grass area near the beach from 7am to 7pm every day,” Mayor Aroon told The Phuket News.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/rawai-mayor-to-ban-dogs-on-nai-harn-beach-77196.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-09-03

The dogs do not get food from trash at the beach, as the trash is cleared from Nai Harn beach every day,” he said.

AHHH I HAD A FEELING ALL THE VOLENTEERS WHERE HAVING A PARTY AND NOT ACTUALLY PICKING UP TRASH.. I  KNEW IT!

Been trying to find a new homes or a shelter for a bunch of dogs we've been caring for. Contacted quite a few organizations, shelters and websites related to this. Almost everywhere, the same story - no room for new arrivals, more dogs being thrown to the streets, no volunteers (Covid), less adoptions/donations/funds (also Covid). The other thing that came up was Thai people more into pure-bred dogs, as sign of status etc. I grew up with GSD's and Boxers, but our current dog is (some Labrador in her, maybe) is the true "good dog" deal.

Got to hand it to those at it - almost all of the replies were civil, sympathetic and some went the extra mile trying to connect me further or taking details in case something comes up.

The main focus seems to be sterilization, which while doesn't solve the immediate problem gives a chance for the future. On that, though, apparently some Thai vets hold this can't be done until after first heat cycle, which sort of drops the ball. Sterilizing males may contribute some to less aggression and so does feeding of strays (knee-jerk reaction was negative, but thought about it some, maybe right).

Truly humbled by these people, as we're finding even what we're handling to be difficult. Couldn't imagine taking care of that many, or having my life revolve around it, and I'm a dog person.

You can't just cull or remove these dogs as much as I despise them. The temple own them and good Buddhist won't kill them. 

Just have to put up with them because as I understand the little road and shops and that grass under the trees before the beach is temple land. 

Slavering packs out for blood!

A local Phuket story is enough to bring them out in numbers from everywhere to vent their hatreds of animals.

I noted that only two of the posters on the first page of this thread actually live on Phuket and may actually be affected by this decree. Eleven others live elsewhere in Thailand or overseas. How many have actually set foot on Nai Han Beach.

Unreasonable hatred and a desire to kill animals is considered an indication of deeper psychological problems.

• Like 1

Maybe occasionally a pet causes a problem, sure if they walk their dog without a lead they should be fined 2000 baht foreigner or Thai. If it attackess somebody they should be prosecuted.

Anyone  who feeds feral dogs should be fined too.

The next time a child is mauled by stray dog on rai harn beach the mayor should be charged with negligent assault assault as he has some power to stop it from happening but does nit noi 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Old Croc said:

A local Phuket story is enough to bring them out in numbers from everywhere to vent their hatreds of animals.

I noted that only two of the posters on the first page of this thread actually live on Phuket and may actually be affected by this decree. Eleven others live elsewhere in Thailand or overseas. How many have actually set foot on Nai Han Beach.

Unreasonable hatred and a desire to kill animals is considered an indication of deeper psychological problems.

I can understand the hate and the fear. There are stray dogs all over Thailand, and more than one trouble spots as the one in the OP.

I also get it that culling (by whatever means) is not something everyone is ok with, and that if there are more humane ways dealing with the situation, it might be better. There are, IMO, both short and long term issues involved. Short term, the immediate problem needs to be addressed decisively, and long term - a more uphill battle, it's about sustained effort, education and ongoing expenditure of resources/support.

11 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I live 3 km from that beach so do I qualify?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

I cannot understand why Thai young folk continue to put up with stinking mangy strays hanging around their table and chairs on the beach ...  I was chasing them away every so often. 

Get rid of the damn pests ...

Went to the local noodle shop a couple of months ago and the owners were complaining about the strays hanging about. Said they had contacted the local obator but he had done nothing so they asked the Mrs to ring him up. Nothing was done after the call and going there this week noticed the owners are now FEEDING the diseased dogs they wanted to get shot of. ????Mrs said well what else can they do? er how about not feeding them and they will go away. TIT.

• Confused 1

On 9/3/2020 at 2:16 PM, digger70 said:

What's his problem? Get him to Cull All the Soi Dogs first Before Attacking people that Own dogs.

It seems that a owner let his two dogs of the lead and they attacked somebody! I am no fan of the feral dogs in fact I would be happy to see them all gone,but in this case they seem to be innocent.