Police bust gang of international scammers

webfact

By THE NATION

800_5ffaaf8ecba9886.jpg?v=1599199230

The Royal Thai Police announced on Thursday (September 3) that they have arrested four Cameroon nationals and three Thai women for allegedly scamming people in South Korea and Hong Kong of more than Bt12 million over fraudulent sale of face masks.

The arrests were made in collaboration with Seoul and Hong Kong police.

“The gang was allegedly running a company called Timbermate and selling face masks and thermal scanners via the Echo Sport shop,” said Pol General Suwat Jangyodsuk, deputy National Police chief and director of the Technology Crime Suppression Division.

“They also ran a website to sell these products to foreigners.

“One South Korean national and two Hong Kong people filed complaints with the Royal Thai Police's Foreign Affairs Division that they had transferred more than US$400,000 or about Bt12 million to the company for face masks, but did not receive the products.

“Police began tracking down the suspects from August 31 and caught them in Khon Kaen, Maha Sarakham and Kalasin provinces,” he added.

“The suspects include three men and a woman all from Cameroon and three Thai women. Officials also confiscated more than 150 items in their possession, such as computers, laptops, mobile phones, bank passbooks, ATM cards, cars, face masks, thermal scanners and Bt6.14 million in cash.”

77jee9gchgggiieebfjjk.jpg

The suspects face several charges, including fraud, money laundry, uploading false information online, working without a work permit and overstay.

To report scams or technology related crimes, call the Technology Crime Suppression Division at 1155 and 1599.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30394017

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-04

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I go back to what I said the other day - exactly how many Africans are here in Thailand ARE honest ? With constant TV stories about them - very little it seems. If anyone wants to call me racist, then please provide details of positive stories of Africans in Thailand on here from TV, I am open for conversion from my viewpoint on them ! 

But they are probably outnumbered 20/1 by ole whitey boiler room boys, property scammers and general thieves.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I go back to what I said the other day - exactly how many Africans are here in Thailand ARE honest ? With constant TV stories about them - very little it seems. If anyone wants to call me racist, then please provide details of positive stories of Africans in Thailand on here from TV, I am open for conversion from my viewpoint on them ! 

I knew one guy who was honest, a white South African. I believe African teams win the prison World Cup every time. 

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I guess English isn't your first language. 'International' scammers means that they were scamming people internationally.

That's your interpretation!

The headline would suggest that the scammers were international! Maybe English is not YOUR first language!

4 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

That's your interpretation!

The headline would suggest that the scammers were international! Maybe English is not YOUR first language!

I'm an English teacher and The Nation is a newspaper. There is a word we use when talking about people from other countries, it's "foreign". 

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

I'm an English teacher and The Nation is a newspaper. There is a word we use when talking about people from other countries, it's "foreign". 

You win first prize! Send me your name, address and bank account number and I will deposit your prize! :thumbsup:

I can see by the amount of posts you have made that not many react to them!

1 hour ago, PatOngo said:

You win first prize! Send me your name, address and bank account number and I will deposit your prize! :thumbsup:

I can see by the amount of posts you have made that not many react to them!

lol, it's not a competition. If you don't want to admit your mistake, I really don't care.

Most of my posts were before that strange 'reputation' thing. 

On 9/4/2020 at 1:19 PM, webfact said:

call the Technology Crime Suppression Division at 1155 and 1599.

Interesting, when I was a volunteer with the Thai Tourist Police for 9 years, 1155 was the "free call" hot line to the TP  - tourists no longer relevant???????