Bank account recommendation.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Your embarrassing yourself.

For the new account to open Kasikorn bank I used OFX (same transferwise) to transfer 1 mil into my Ktb bank.

I realize this is not for OP as he does not have bank here.

I withdrew 800k from Ktb and walked into Kasikorn. No issues.

Prior to using transfer money companies previously carried cash AUD into Thailand. 

There is no limit how much cash you bring into Thailand. However you need to declare. Simple process.

Under 15kusd (I think) no need to declare. 

This will be very helpful for the OP that you transferred 1 million to your KTB bank account - I guess you mean Krung Thai Bank. But the OP doesn't have any accounts in Thailand. So what are you talking about - your very special experience?! This discussion doesn't make any sense to me anymore and it is the first time that I write here in this forum that I don't want to continue such a discussion. Good night. 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Oldie said:

But anyhow - what is your advice for foreigners to open a bank account in Thailand and at which bank?

Read my post #8. 

Very simple. Need shop around. 

When I first tried 8 years back the banks kept asking for work permit.

I along with Thai partner kept  saying "he retire no work" 

Eventually ended up head office and they eventually gave me account. 

I had to accept that I would have zero interest. No big deal so I signed.

45 minutes ago, Oldie said:

If you come to a bank without being a customer already and tell them that you want to deposit 800.000 Baht that you have in your carry bag or even higher amounts then you have no idea about banks and laws like money laundering. It is just useless gossip. You even might find banks but it is illegal. 

Most foolish post I have read this year.

I have all docs for transfers etc from transfer companies,  or in case of cash carried into Thailand from home country, I have all banking receipts etc. Along with declarations if required. 

You need fact check. 

On 9/5/2020 at 5:29 PM, davidhen said:

Sorry everyone. I've just logged on to Thaivisa and seen all your replies. I obviously haven't got my settings configured properly to flag me via email when someone responds. I've posted on TA forum and I get email flags. I've now adjusted my Thaivisa settings, which hopefully will now trigger an email when my topic gets a reply.

So, I am a UK national, staying in Jomtien Soi 4. I've been in a guesthouse here since 19th March. I am in receipt of UK pensions but not enough to satisfy the THB 65,000 per month requirement. Nor do I wish to deposit THB 800,000 in a Thai a/c. For these reasons, I visited an agent who told me that if I open a bank a/c, he will charge me THB 14,000 to get me a one year (renewable) retirement visa. I do know another agent who will open an a/c for me for only THB 1,000 ---  It's just that the first one I mentioned instills me with more confidence. But --- if he opens an a/c for me, he wants THB 4,000.

I arrived in LoS on 16th January with a 90 day non-imm-O visa which of course expired in April, and I am now on visa amnesty until (currently) 26th September.

Thanks again,

David.

I think there was one guy where a guy presented false documentation and he was blacklisted for coming to Thailand.

If you take the agent route and provide false documentation by the agent, that's considered illegal if they find out.

Immigration always keep copies of bank documents on storage just in case...

If you don't have the money, try other countries. It's not fair to other retirees who went the legal route and also it's illegal if they find out.

If it's so easy to get retirement extension illegally, then nobody would want to transfer 65k or put 800k in bank account anymore.

Edited by warcy

On 9/5/2020 at 3:13 PM, aixois said:

Did you experience using ATM ouside of Thailand too ?

WHEN bangkok bank had the visa card, i could use it no problem abroad, and

to buy airline tickets ext.

but now i with the union pay, there are many problems.

recently i tried to withdraw money from ATMs abroad, and it does not work.

bangkok bank union pay card is even worse than the chinese one, who is still

accepted here and there around the world.

7 hours ago, Oldie said:

To open an account at a bank without knowing the implications is financial nonsense. 

openning a bank account in thailand is free and maintaining it is also free.

there are no fixed monthly fees like in other countries.

the tax system in thailand is territorial and care only about profits

from thai sources.

hence there are no implications to openning and account in thailand and no

need to think too mut

6 hours ago, Robin said:

In Thailand the bank thinks it is doing you a favour to let you open a bank account.

You will be charged for every service.

in thailand the bank does not think. it is the people who work for the bank who think.

sometimes.

and thai banks are way much cheaper than banks in uk or EU. to begin with, thai

banks do not charge min. fee just to own the account.

once i visited a branch of my bank in thailand. the lady who works there did not

like me and cursed me in thai. i understood and cursed back at her.

and that was it. she is not the bank. she is just a stupid lady who works there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

There is no limit how much cash you bring into Thailand. However you need to declare. Simple process.

Under 15kusd (I think) no need to declare. 

you are right but also wrong.

in thailand tax evasion is not considering a money laundry offence.

but in other countries incl. australia it might be.

therefor coming in or out of australia with a lot of cash, even if declaring it, might not be a good idea.

On 9/4/2020 at 4:33 PM, FlyingThai said:

Personally I'd stay away from Bangkok Bank when it's about a savings account due to their stupid Union Pay system for debit cards.

If one simply needs an account to put the 800k in for 2 months that is not really something to worry about. Being able to qualify to open one is more a concern. Bangkok Bank works good with Transferwise for those using income. I have the stupid Union Pay ATM card and it causes me no grief whatsoever... also have BB Credit Cards to make purchases.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

If one simply needs an account to put the 800k in for 2 months that is not really something to worry about. Being able to qualify to open one is more a concern. Bangkok Bank works good with Transferwise for those using income. I have the stupid Union Pay ATM card and it causes me no grief whatsoever... also have BB Credit Cards to make purchases.

Just ask for a Mastecard ATM card.

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:
9 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I hope someone told him to wear a button-down shirt and some decent trousers....

That's a joke right?

Not really, I enquired while wearing my oldest shorts, hawaiian shirt and mirror shades, all clean and I was freshly shaved, but. This was at a bank I had a 12 year account through, I was making a deposit. I wanted to open a new account based in CM, (not in Nakhon Nowhere) for the 800K. I was just enquiring. They were less than helpful and I speak Thai.  

I wore better clothes next time, newer shorts and shirt, listened to their spiel, then made that tiring trudge across the mall floor, buffeted by the air con units, to Bangkok Bank. They did not need to see my work visa, house book, certificate of residence or whatever. They wrote me up on the spot. Got a winner! 800k .... Kaching!

I like my old bank - Krungthai but it took my girlfriend transferring her account from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai, at a different branch for them to change my home branch and open a new account for me. Granted it was hard to set up on the computer. Still. BTW Krungthai always gave me good service and that while working on contracts not in Thailand. It was just that branch and their malarky. I will keep the 800K in BK Bank and then use the Krungthai branch and phone app to pay bills this next year. 

Edited by LomSak27

Many thanks again to all respondents. 

To Dr.Jack, and any others who did not read my update in the last paragraph of post #59: I am already in possession of a 90 day non-o, which I used to enter LoS on 16th January, so obviously, it has now expired and I am on visa amnesty. 

I require the bank a/c to apply (through the aforementioned agent) for a 1 year renewable retirement visa.

I thank Yellowtail for his/her dress comment. Having had "an experience" with immigration earlier, I think his/her advice is sound.

I'm not sure about the remarks regarding the "urgency" of my needs, (the amnesty could be extended further.) but I will begin making enquiries this week, starting with BB.

I also thank respondents for bringing to my attention, the difference between the UP card, and the Mastercard ATM cards.

Regards, David.

• Thanks 1

Im using Krungthai, Bangkok bank and Kasikorn. 14 years of experience showed me STAY AWAY from Bangkok Bank. Worst bank in thailand in my opinion. For many reasons, local or international. I highly recommend Krungthai. Kasikorn is also good.

For your case im not sure which bank will do faster and easier. But for general seriously stay away from bangkok bank. Even thai people dont use it anymore. 

• Like 1

I have accounts at Krungsri and Bangkok Bank, both opened at branches in a shopping mall.  Took a bit of time to open, but all done in one visit. 

Both banks are fine, I think, but I end up using the Bangkok Bank account more because I make monthly transfers from overseas for visa extension reasons, and ensuring that these are recorded as foreign currency transactions is a bit more straightforward with Bangkok Bank.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

As I mentioned, I got my account (Bangkok Bank Branch diagonally opposite T21 at Asoke) about 4 years ago whilst on a 30 day Visa Exempt & was logged into the IBanking & the mobile app whilst still sat at the desk completing the process (In fact the beautiful young lady opening the account for me insisted I made sure everything was working ok before leaving)  

I don't know if it made a difference that I had somebody from Siam Legal helping me through the process (Their offices are in the building on the opposite side of Sukumvit Road so quite possibly use that branch for their business) & was opening the account with a 30,000 THB deposit. 

According to their website, Siam Legal still offers to help with opening bank accounts: https://www.siam-legal.com/other-services/opening-a-bank-account-in-thailand.php

Worth considering if the OP is in a hurry and cannot easily find a cooperative bank / branch.

4 hours ago, davidhen said:

Many thanks again to all respondents. 

To Dr.Jack, and any others who did not read my update in the last paragraph of post #59: I am already in possession of a 90 day non-o, which I used to enter LoS on 16th January, so obviously, it has now expired and I am on visa amnesty. 

I require the bank a/c to apply (through the aforementioned agent) for a 1 year renewable retirement visa.

I thank Yellowtail for his/her dress comment. Having had "an experience" with immigration earlier, I think his/her advice is sound.

I'm not sure about the remarks regarding the "urgency" of my needs, (the amnesty could be extended further.) but I will begin making enquiries this week, starting with BB.

I also thank respondents for bringing to my attention, the difference between the UP card, and the Mastercard ATM cards.

Regards, David.

The "Urgency" is because Immigration is saying that you need to apply for your non-O extension by 11th September (2 weeks before the amnesty ends),

Having said that, Phuket is recommending people who for one reason or another cannot meet the normal money in the bank / income financial requirements hold off extending until further information comes out (due "Before 15th September")... 

If it were me, I would ask the agent what is the latest date that you can apply for an extension to your Non-O & if it is this Friday weigh up the risks in waiting for this "Further Information"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

The "Urgency" is because Immigration is saying that you need to apply for your non-O extension by 11th September (2 weeks before the amnesty ends),

Having said that, Phuket is recommending people who for one reason or another cannot meet the normal money in the bank / income financial requirements hold off extending until further information comes out (due "Before 15th September")... 

If it were me, I would ask the agent what is the latest date that you can apply for an extension to your Non-O & if it is this Friday weigh up the risks in waiting for this "Further Information"

Why would you need to apply before 11 September for a 1-year extension of your Non Imm O Visa? 

Sure you would need to do that when applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa itself (because that Visa requires at least 15 days left on your permission to stay when applying for it).  But you should be able to apply for the 1-year extension of stay until last day of the Amnesty.

Note: And if that's correct, I agree with you to wait till last days of the Amnesty in case the Cabinet - in spite of Immigrations announcement to the contrary - would once again extend the Amnesty (some persistent rumours about that).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have yet to see a need, but thanks, yes I believe one can get one of those for a slightly higher annual fee.

Yes only 100 bahts more : 300 bahts instead of 200 bahts

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Cards/Be1st-Smart-Card/Debit-Card-Compare-Result?compare-product-btn=

Edited by aixois

Kasikornbank has a good safety when it comes to transfer money from your account.

If you transfer from your computer, they send a code to your Mobil phone which you have to enter, without that code no transfer. Another safety you can apply for is an SMS on your phone if there has been any transaction to or from your account it pops up immediately.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 5:55 AM, DJ54 said:

I transfer money monthly from Chase (no fees) in US To Bangkok Bank an I’ve not looked closely to their charges but they must be minimal because

I've not flipped a lid over it.

You have a USA Chase checking or savings account and send international wires to your Bangkok Bank account and Chase does not charge a fee for this?

Or do you mean that your Chase account has no monthly service fees but they do charge you for international wires?

Edited by JimmyJ

19 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

You have a USA Chase checking or savings account and send international wires to your Bangkok Bank account and Chase does not charge a fee for this?

Or do you mean that your Chase account has no monthly service fees but they do charge you for international wires?

He transfers from Chase to Bangkok Bank in New York

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Misab said:

Kasikornbank has a good safety when it comes to transfer money from your account.

If you transfer from your computer, they send a code to your Mobil phone which you have to enter, without that code no transfer. Another safety you can apply for is an SMS on your phone if there has been any transaction to or from your account it pops up immediately.

Same with Bangkok Bank. You get an OTP by SMS on your phone

On 9/6/2020 at 12:55 AM, DJ54 said:

I transfer money monthly from Chase (no fees) in US To Bangkok Bank an I’ve not looked closely to their charges but they must be minimal because

I've not flipped a lid over it.

In case you transfer bahts you may have hidden fees with worse rate of exchange

Problem solved!

It took me 2 afternoons work, but I've now opened an a/c with BB. The main problems were with immigration because I needed to get my expired non-imm-o 90 day visa transferred into a newly acquired passport as my old one was expiring in Jan '21. BB required (in spite of the amnesty) a certificate from immigration stating that I had permission (again, in spite of the amnesty) to stay in LoS until 26th September.

I got this cert' after much to-ing and fro-ing between various counters and photocopy desks, until, for the princely sum of THB 300, they issued it. I then took the cert' to BB where it was plain sailing.

Thanks again to all respondents for all the advice. Oh, and I did get the Mastercard ATM card -- and NO insurance. It cost me THB 1,000. THB 400 of which was for the ATM card, with the remaining THB 600  being entered as a deposit in my a/c.

David.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2020 at 4:33 PM, FlyingThai said:

Personally I'd stay away from Bangkok Bank when it's about a savings account due to their stupid Union Pay system for debit cards.

FWIW, Bangkok Bank's earlier reliance on Union Pay is a thing of the past. I have been using my Bangkok Bank MasterCard debit card for well over a year already.