Don’t leave it to the last minute! Thai Immigration reminds foreigners ahead of amnesty deadline

rooster59

22 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

while i would absolutely love this to happen i don't see how it could be possible and still keep the current non-o extensions of stay in place. i mean one would need to be a real masochist to go through all the yearly IO <deleted> and keep 400K or 12 months of income slips when you could simply renew locally every 90 days instead!

True, I never thought about the extension, actually forgot about it. I was thinking more about those that worked 6 months out of the Country then returned for 6 months.  I always had to go to immigration pay the 1900 baht extend another 30 days, then at the end of those 30 days, do a border cross into Vientiane, shop and then return for another 60 day entry and then at the end of that time I would either fly back to work or extend for another 30 and then leave. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm waiting until the final week because I'm expecting the government to announce another extension.

And the government always leaves it until the final week.

Just love the post as it drips with true Sarcasm.. ????

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BestB said:

This announcement makes total sense if it was not for the fact that few days prior to deadlines they may change their minds as they did previously and always in the last minute 

They were nt really a change of mind in the previous announcements , it was more like new announcements of how they would proceed . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, CorpusChristie said:

They can still stay and "spend money" , they will just have to spend money on a visa extension 

No they can not. Those on stamps or tourist visa’s can not get an extension unless unfit to fly or have a letter from embassy 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Still no point in doing anything until the week before.

If there's another extension (2 weeks) my 400k will have been in the bank long enough for me to apply for a year.

If it ends on the 26th, I can only apply for 60 days.

Ahhh... that makes perfect sense... 

The article hints at their being some leeway on the 12 month financials coming "before 15th September", but I thought you had to apply for these with 2 weeks left on your permission to stay hence the 11th September date being stressed so I'm not sure what good it would do or whether they'll give some leeway on the 2 weeks as well. 

It would be a case of TiT if on the 12th September they announce that you don't need to meet the financial requirements to extend your Non-O for 12 months.... But then say that you had to have done it the day before!!! 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Still no point in doing anything until the week before.

If there's another extension (2 weeks) my 400k will have been in the bank long enough for me to apply for a year.

If it ends on the 26th, I can only apply for 60 days.

But if you apply for your 60 days before the 26th , then during that time your 400,000 would have seasoned the 2 months and you can then apply for a 1 year extension later.

That approach was confirmed when I visited my local immigration.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

True, I never thought about the extension, actually forgot about it. I was thinking more about those that worked 6 months out of the Country then returned for 6 months.  I always had to go to immigration pay the 1900 baht extend another 30 days, then at the end of those 30 days, do a border cross into Vientiane, shop and then return for another 60 day entry and then at the end of that time I would either fly back to work or extend for another 30 and then leave. 

If you pay Thai income taxes, which would be likely 25 to 30% then I don't see why not. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trucking said:

I can't help thinking the simplest solution to deal with people on Non O multis would be to allow people to travel to a border immigration post , stamp them out, then get them to cross the road and stamp them back in. Sorted. No necessity to physically leave the country.

This would also help the tourism sector a bit because people would likely travel around and use a local hotel for a night. Unless of course they live very close to a border checkpoint.

A better solution would bee to allow those people to extend their visas/obtain a new visa at their local immigration office

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

A better solution would bee to allow those people to extend their visas/obtain a new visa at their local immigration office

Yep, also good.

I think if there were a bona fide civilian government running the country these would be the kind of sensible solutions being put forward.

As it is , with a bunch of numpties running the show ......................... say no more.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Don’t leave it to the last minute! Thai Immigration reminds foreigners ahead of amnesty deadline

Stampede across the Nation. 

Done my extension last month down here in Hat Yai. 

At the Desk Outside they said Must make an Appoint Online  and wait for Confirmation of appointment  Online in the Next couple days.

No Way GF said.      Lucky for us  us we had the Phone number of the Boss , The GF Groveld a bit and got in an Hour later  Same Day.    ????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I sure hope this announcement is spread far and wide.  It has been out for quite along time already, so I will unfortunately not feel to bad for those that wait until the final week, and start to squeal "We did not know, or we did not have enough time".  I do feel for those on the Non O ME visa's who were not able to get out and back in every 90 days to keep the Visa active, and I do understand why many with families went this route because of there jobs and such.  I have always wondered why the Non Imm O-A ME Visa and the Non Imm O ME visa were not treated the same with 90 day reporting's and a 1 year stay granted.  Must have been a reason way back when they made the rules.  I know that the O_A I am on is for retirement, and the O is for visiting family, but if over 55 and still working somewhere outside of Thailand the O is best for them.  Should be some continuity, but then I am sure many are under the age and work abroad, in the oil industry, or work as digital nomads.  In reality there should be a way to go to immigration every 90 days on those O visas and extend for another 90 days, instead of every 60 days to get a 30 day extension, and then having to bounce out and then back in.  Maybe it was all about the money.  When I first came here many many years ago I was on a 30 day, which I would fly out and then back in and renew on arrival.  When I married, and because I was under the age and still working in the US I went the Non Imm O ME route, then finally an extension of stay based on the Non Imm O until that was no longer good for me, Then to my current Non Imm O-A ME, which will now be turned into an extension when it expires because I can not fly out and back in to add another year to it.  So many different rules, that staying up to speed can be hard for someone who never takes the time to learn the rules and get the true information from others such as Ubon Joe, Peter Denis and the others. I wish everyone the best in the upcoming days.

You can use a Non o for retirement and get a year extension on it if you meet the requirements. 

• Like 1