Covid-19 insurance for foreign tourists to Thailand approved

saakura

Not sure if this was already published elsewhere on this forum earlier. The Office of Insurance Commission made an announcement on September 4, to give the green light to a Covid-19 insurance policy for foreigners traveling to Thailand.

The approval of Covid-19 coverage for foreign tourists was initiated accordingly to the country’s re-opening measures of the CCSA to prevent the future risk of the spread of the virus since Thailand is ready for limited groups of foreigners to visit, said secretary-general Suthipol Taweechaikarn.

The policy, according to Suthipol, had been thoroughly and officially approved by the relevant health departments on Aug
ust 28, namely the Ministry of Public Health, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Department of Disease Control, Thai General Insurance Association, and the Thai Life Assurance Association.

The purchase of the foreigners’ Covid-19 insurance will be done online and will be activated as soon as they pass through the immigration in the country, said the secretary-general.

In order to buy the policy, Foreigners are required to have a certificate of entry, a Fit-to-Fly Health or Fit-to-Travel health certificate, and a medical certificate, proving that they tested free of Covid-19 via the RT-PCR method 72 hours prior to departure.

Coverage under the insurance will be divided into two parts:

1. In cases of death caused by Covid-19, the company will pay benefits or compensation for the cost of the funeral and repatriation of remains equal to 3.2 million baht.

2. For medical treatment related to Covid-19, the company will pay benefits or compensation to cover the medical expenses up to 3.2 million baht.

Any travelers who meet the requirement must pay premiums to cover periods of 30 days up to one year. The price can vary depending on the Covid-19 risk in the country of origin.

Travelers from low-risk countries will pay between 1,600 and 14,400 baht.
Those from moderate-risk countries will pay between 2,560 and 23,040 baht.
Those from high-risk countries will pay between 4,800 and 43,200 baht.

A complete list of countries is being developed and may change on a regular basis, The Pattaya News notes.

Secretary-general Suthipol stated: “This insurance policy is introduced in Thailand’s insurance system to help manage the risk of the country’s re-opening measures by the government. It will hopefully help maintain health measures and prevent the spread of Covid-19 in the country.”

Office of Insurance Commission (OIC)

• Thanks 2

I don't see many lay-off's in the insurance business.Most that get the virus only get a runny nose.The insurance premiums do seam a tad bit high. I wonder where China will fit in Low risk? Moderate risk? or High risk? Please remember all these good viruses comes From China,it must be the food they eat or the labs. they build.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Guderian said:

....or if the insurance will cover you if you have a vaccination here and it makes you seriously ill!

Good point ,I for one wont use the local product, I will either go back to Aust for it or get sent here.

All this depends on the No Jab No Fly Policy.

16 hours ago, saakura said:

1. In cases of death caused by Covid-19, the company will pay benefits or compensation for the cost of the funeral and repatriation of remains equal to 3.2 million baht.

This seems like an excessive and unneeded "benefit" that has been added on just to jack up the price. I realize that the pandemic has probably caused disruptions in air cargo operations, but the coverage amount for this looks to be more than ten times as high as what these services would have cost in normal times - and I have yet to meet a tourist who asks prior to a holiday, "but how will I pay for my funeral?" 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

This seems like an excessive and unneeded "benefit" that has been added on just to jack up the price. I realize that the pandemic has probably caused disruptions in air cargo operations, but the coverage amount for this looks to be more than ten times as high as what these services would have cost in normal times - and I have yet to meet a tourist who asks prior to a holiday, "but how will I pay for my funeral?" 

A person travelling overseas (on holidays or for any other reason) and not taking out travel insurance at the time of buying the tickets or making other bookings, is foolish and inexperienced.

All travel insurance policies I have read/considered include a death benefit cash payment plus cover for the cost of "repatriation of the bodily remains" to the nominated country.

A principle of indemnity insurance is that you cannot be paid twice for the same loss or incident - for example, insure your house or vehicle with 3 different companies, the house or vehicle is a total loss, then you only get the value paid once with the pay out cost shared by the 3 insurance companies.

The approved Thai Covid19 policies on offer should have the "death benefit" as an option with a separate pricing of that extra cover option. While this is logical, the counter argument is why pass up an opportunity to cream some extra cash from foreigners when you have them in a captive market??

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mjakob007 said:

Does foreigners who are in Thailand need to buy this insurance?
or is it only applicable to those that are coming in?

I purchased Covid only insurance when the virus broke out it covers you for treatment in a Thai government hospital up to and including a payout on death it cost me 850 baht for a years cover . I hope I never have to use it 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, saakura said:

In order to buy the policy, Foreigners are required to have a certificate of entry, a Fit-to-Fly Health or Fit-to-Travel health certificate, and a medical certificate, proving that they tested free of Covid-19 via the RT-PCR method 72 hours prior to departure.

Can anyone tell me where I can obtain these documents please?

we already have an over stretched NHS in England and trying to see a local doctor in anything less than 3 weeks is impossible so Is getting hold of any F to F or F to T health documents, and what is the RT-PCR method?

Also I always purchase annual travel insurance From the U.K. insurance companies so do I have to buy the Thai insurance as well?

Any correct answers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Janner1 said:

we already have an over stretched NHS in England and trying to see a local doctor in anything less than 3 weeks is impossible so Is getting hold of any F to F or F to T health documents, and what is the RT-PCR method?

https://privateharleystreetclinic.com/products/covid-19-test

London based, has been mentioned here, and there was a post with several private companies that both issue the test certificate and fit to fly certificate. I have not used them myself. There will be non-London alternatives I'm sure.

Edited by Tuvoc
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Janner1 said:

Also I always purchase annual travel insurance From the U.K. insurance companies so do I have to buy the Thai insurance as well?

Any correct answers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

This is a list of clinics issued by the Thai Embassy for Covid-19 tests and/or Fit-To-Fly-Certificates. They are all aware of the 72 hour time limit.

https: //www.londondoctorsclini c.co.uk/
https://www.one5.health/
https://doctap.co.uk/
https://gogodoc.com /
https://www.medicspot.co.uk/
https://www.citydoc.org.uk/

Edited by tso310
72 hour time limit info
  • Like 1

anyone with any sense is going to take out insurance in their own country, usually when buying the tickets, or already has travel/medical insurance as part of another policy. this is the easiest, and i'd guess cheapest, option.

but it's all by the by because few tourists are going to jump through all these hoops just for a holiday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is from the e-mail my wife received for Sept 20 flight, it was in Thai naturally. Payment for the Sept 20 flight will be notified after the 13 Sept flight has been dealt with. The State Quarantine option was selected.

Flight: Economy Class Flight TG 917, 20 September 2020
Royal Thai Embassy

Your registration information has been received and your list and contact information will be sent. To the Thai Airways International Company to contact you directly in Payment of the fare

For the benefit of COVID-19 disease control , travel requirements have not changed, ie
1. Travellers must agree and acknowledge. 14 days of detention.
2. Required travel documents :
    (1) Fit to Fly certificate, not older than 72 hours prior to departure
    (2) Certificate of departure from the venue. Ambassador
    (3), Immigration Certificate No. 8

6 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Your family back home be happy not having to worry. 

• Confused 1

Does it cover for tummy ache and flu? Are colds included? What if I get a rash at a bar? FN rediculous. I wont pay it.  Rip off for something which is highly questionable in contagion and prognosis. The CDC has published documents that show that 94% of deaths were likely to be caused by several underlying diseases. A way to make money but they won't get it. If I leave I leave for good. 

London based, has been mentioned here, and there was a post with several private companies that both issue the test certificate and fit to fly certificate. I have not used them myself. There will be non-London alternatives I'm sure.

Edited 12 hours ago by Tuvoc
Tso310

This is a list of clinics issued by the Thai Embassy for Covid-19 tests and/or Fit-To-Fly-Certificates. They are all aware of the 72 hour time limit.
_————————————————-
Thank you gentlemen for your help and info

janner1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone encountered the following situation upon re-entering Thailand?  If so, how have you handled it?

My understanding is that any tourist entering Thailand -- including Thai Elite visa-holders whose habitual residence is Thailand and are returning from a trip abroad -- must hold USD100,000 COVID-19 coverage. This coverage may be included in existing general health insurance coverage issued by an international company or a Thai company as part of the general health policy.

Some international insurance companies ("Company A" as an example) issue their policy holders a special letter which specifically notes COVID-19 coverage that would accompany the certificate of insurance. COVID-19 is not specifically mentioned in the insurance certificate or in the insurance contract. But some companies do NOT issue such a letter that specifically notes COVID-19 coverage.  One company (call it "Company B") provides only an additional certificate of coverage confirming the policy holder's general coverage, but it does not specifically mention COVID-19 as Company A's letter does. This additional certificate is in addition to the general health insurance certificate policy holders routinely receive (which, as one would expect, also does not mention COVID-19).  Nor does it not note Thailand specifically.

My understanding is that proof of COVID-19 insurance must be presented to Thai Immigration (and perhaps the airline to board a plane to Thailand). The "Company A" letter does that, but the "Company B" certificates do not and do not mention Thailand.